May an 18 year-old Purchase a handgun face-to-face?

M4sherman

Alright lets start this with the reason. My father has a thing for 1911's but has not had the income to purchase one for him-self and I thought as a nice Christmas gift I could get him a 1911 I found in Nashville for a decent price as a "sorry for the crap I pulled this year" gift.

Now for the question. Can A 18 year-old with no restrictions on buying a rifle from FFL purchase a handgun in TN from a private individual? And if so Where could I find a document that states it is legal before I was the time and gas.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not 100% sure, but I recall my ccw instructor going over this. Believe he said that you can own/purchase a handgun in a face to face transaction if you are over 18 but obviously can't carry. 21+ for FFL, sure someone that knows for a fact will chime in but I do know some other states are the same way like texas.

...but I am going to keep digging to find something that says it is legal.

The laws are written to tell us what we are not allowed to do, as opposed to defining what we are allowed to do. If you're searching the TCA for something that specifically states that an 18 year old can purchase a handgun from a private seller, you probably won't find anything.

Might be best to contact the seller and discuss the situation first.

Why would you be wasting time and gas? You can’t buy from an FFL so I assume you would tell the private party before arranging a meet. Since no one is ever required to sell to anyone; I would think you would address the age issue when discussing the private party sale.

To be perfectly accurate, it goes like this - An 18 year old non-felon is allowed, in TN, to purchase a handgun, from anyone who's legally entitled to possess and dispose of one. The FFL is prohibited from selling a handgun to persons under the age of 21 years. It is a federal restriction upon the FFL, not upon the 18 year old adult.

Guest bubruins

I've never seen any law against it. I would make the seller aware of that and the fact that you're under 21 but can still legally own it.

Btw, awesome gift idea. I've been wanting to buy my grandfather a 1911 for years now but have never been able to justify how much it would cost.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

Yes an 18 year old may purchase a handgun in a private sale in TN however I wouldnt be surprised if the seller still refused to. Kinda like some people will only sell to HCP holders. It just depends on the seller's personal opinion and/or fear of some sort of liability.

When I was growing up my father always did without guns. Every christmas I would ask for a new gun and get it. When I turned 18, out of high school, and started earning a little money I did the same thing for my father. Only my purchase was a Remington 30-06 semi auto with a really nice scope. It was one of the first times I saw my father shed tears. I know the topic is about the legality of purchasing handgun, but I just wanted to commend you on thoughtfulness.

To be perfectly accurate, it goes like this - An 18 year old non-felon is allowed, in TN, to purchase a handgun, from anyone who's legally entitled to possess and dispose of one. The FFL is prohibited from selling a handgun to persons under the age of 21 years. It is a federal restriction upon the FFL, not upon the 18 year old adult.

This guy right here said it exactly right. It is the FFL who's restricted.

Well it looks like that idea went into the dump. ran into four different people first said yes said he would sell but someone else had first dibs, second guy said it is completely illegal to sell to an 18 year old and was going to call the police,third said only CCW holder's and the fourth is a dealer and does not have the style in my price range.

Kinda ticks me off that I can be drafted at anytime by the federal government but they will not allow me to buy a handgun through an approved dealer. Atleast the state of Tennessee trust me (kind-of)

Guest 10mm4me

Yes, an 18yr old can purchase and possess a handgun. You may not apply for a HCP in TN. This is mirrored in TN's hunting law that states that an 18yr old may possess and hunt with a handgun, which, logically means you can purchase one. Not from an FFL, but a private party. I know I'm selling my brother one as soon as he turns 18.

Well it looks like that idea went into the dump. ran into four different people first said yes said he would sell but someone else had first dibs, second guy said it is completely illegal to sell to an 18 year old and was going to call the police,third said only CCW holder's and the fourth is a dealer and does not have the style in my price range.

Kinda ticks me off that I can be drafted at anytime by the federal government but they will not allow me to buy a handgun through an approved dealer. Atleast the state of Tennessee trust me (kind-of)

Not that it helps you now but consider that it used to be even worse...you could be drafted, sent to war and killed while serving your country but you couldn't cast a vote for or against the politicians who were sitting on their brains making the decision to draft/send you.

Selling a gun is like selling liquor; people will be afraid to do it if they don’t know the law. It’s a question that has come up here repeatedly; people are confused because they can’t comprehend the State/Federal law differences that make a dealer not allowed to sell to you.

Don’t be discouraged by it. What is it you are looking for? Post an ad in the WTB section.

That probably won’t change. I voluntarily joined the Navy during Vietnam at age 17, because I thought I needed to go over there and straighten things out. :D I was responsible enough to work on all kinds of weapons systems including Ballistic Nuclear Submarines …. But I couldn’t legally buy a beer.

...That probably won’t change. I voluntarily joined the Navy during Vietnam at age 17, because I thought I needed to go over there and straighten things out. :D I was responsible enough to work on all kinds of weapons systems including Ballistic Nuclear Submarines …. But I couldn’t legally buy a beer.

I was an FTM (Tarrier Missile System) on a guided missile cruiser about the same time although a couple of years behind you I'd say...my ship made her last Vietnam deployment about a year before I joined her.