True Grit,

vontar

Guest Xring04

I like John Wayne, but he was not an actor. He was JW, before he was any of his characters if that makes any sense. I think it was the fault of his larger than life persona.

Can't wait for true grit.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect with the Coens at the helm this version will be quite different from the original. Probably kind of dark and quirky like 'No Country'.

I love everything the Coens have done.

I like John Wayne, but he was not an actor. He was JW, before he was any of his characters if that makes any sense. I think it was the fault of his larger than life persona.

Can't wait for true grit.

Eapking is dead on. I just got back from seeing it at a Noon showing. The humor is dark, the dialogue is great, and very period specific it seems. Xring is right about JW and Jeff bridges does NOT even attempt to play JW. He's likable, but he's a grizzled, drunk bounty hunter plain and simple. Jeff plays Rooster, not Rooster plays JW.

The cinematography is excellent and the movie is just well done over all. I will say this much and for those of you that have seen the original it won't be a spoiler, but just in case it is.........

SPOILER:

When Rooster and Lucky Ned face down at the end in this version, it's kind of scary. Barry Pepper just looks and sounds evil. I remember watching the original and hearing JW and Robert Duvall's exchange and it's just cool dialogue, like there's no chance Rooster won't win. In this one when the lines were exchanged and the music cued up I got worried for a second.

I really urge you guys to separate the 69 version and this one and give it a shot. It's a really, really great western.

For all of you guys, who have come out of the closet and admitted that you do not like John Wayne movies, "Good on you"! That takes a lot of courage to speak out like that and in the same spirit as when Obama resended the " don't ask. don't tell" policy, thanks for coming out! I'm sure you were just born that way.:(

Edited by Will Carry

I like some of the JW movies. I really liked JW the person. I could not stand the way he walked. Lets just say his walk made him look like he'd really be glad they removed the DADT policy.

I'd like to see the new movie but will wait until I can view it at home and remove some of the objectionable material.

Now, if you want someone who was really a tough good guy, let's talk Matt Dillion who John Wayne endorsed for GunSmoke.

Matt Dillion was the toughest marshall that ever was! Plus, he was banging Kitty! If he and John Wayne ever got in a fight, I'd have to go with Matt. As much as I like John Wayne, Matt Dillion was the man. Every week on Sunday night we watched Matt do what was right.

Edited by Will Carry
For all of you guys, who have come out of the closet and admitted that you do not like John Wayne movies, "Good on you"! That takes a lot of courage to speak out like that and in the same spirit as when Obama resended the " don't ask. don't tell" policy, thanks for coming out! I'm sure you were just born that way.:D
For all of you guys, who have come out of the closet and admitted that you do like John Wayne movies, "Good on you"! That takes a lot of courage to speak out like that and in the same spirit as when Obama resended the " don't ask. don't tell" policy, thanks for coming out! I'm sure you were just born that way.:rolleyes:
Punisher, thanks for the review. I always enjoyed JW movies. I want to see this one, the differences were quite noticeable in the trailer.

I think you'll like it. I actually saw it and the theater age varied from 20s to probably 60s? I talked with a gentleman who loved the original and he said he really liked this one too.

Ya'll know I was just funin' ya. I think they call it "trolling". John Wayne didn't really act, he just played himself. He won the academy award for best actor for his roll in True Grit, but I think it was more of a lifetime achievemnet award. I can't wait to see the new True Grit. Ya'll have a Merry Christmas, Ya here.

Ya'll know I was just funin' ya. I think they call it "trolling". John Wayne didn't really act, he just played himself. He won the academy award for best actor for his roll in True Grit, but I think it was more of a lifetime achievemnet award. I can't wait to see the new True Grit. Ya'll have a Merry Christmas, Ya here.

That's what I had always heard too, that the academy decided he deserved one overall. It's pretty hard to beat his acceptance speech...