ARMALASER - A SMALL REVIEW

My Armalaser that I ordered for a Ruger LCP finally arrived from the production factory in Florida. I installed it and roughly sighted it in within 10 minutes. I found it to be an excellent fit, came with excellent instructions for anyone slighly mechanically inclined to follow and overall fit and finish is well worth the cost.

http://www.armalaser.com/Products-Ruger_LCP.html

100_0913Small.jpg

100_0912Small.jpg

100_0918Small.jpg

100_0919Small.jpg

Here is a little run-down of what I found ............ a review of sorts.

The unit mounted up tight and was easily adjustable for wind-age/elevation with (2) supplied Allen Wrenches (one spare). Armalaser sends two sets of screws - one set of Allen for light weekly use and one set of Phillips with lock washers for heavy daily use. Keep in mind that the only way to change batteries on these units is to take the shell apart via 3 small screws - which is very easy and can be done in just a few minutes with the proper tool (small Allen Wrench in this case). The unit looks good and does not really change the conceal-ability factor at all - in fact, I found it did exactly as advertised and actually aids in concealment.

Activation of the laser is easily accomplished during natural trigger finger insertion into the trigger housing which is where a cut-out in the laser housing is found. The laser will turn off in approximately 8 seconds after not sensing the trigger finger up against the laser housing but a slight forward gesture of the trigger finger will immediately activate it again. I would imagine a thicker trigger finger than mine may keep the laser activated until removed entirely from the trigger housing.

The LCP with installed Armalaser fits very well in the supplied Desantis holster that comes with the unit at this time. It easily slips into a pocket with zero witness marks to give the impression that a firearm is present. The Desantis pocket holster is open where the barrel meets the pocket - so in theory, you could easily fire this weapon holstered if needed.

The only somewhat negative I could see at this point was having to dis-assemble the unit to replace the batteries - not a terrible thing, but it prohibits a "quick" change. The unit is very compact so I don't see that as even being an option in future revisions. This is in no way a deterrent to go out and purchase one of these fine little units - but more of a "need to know" so that the user is aware.

All in all I am very impressed with this design. I would give this unit high marks as it installs in minutes, appears to be a rock solid mount, is easily adjustable for windage/elevation, can easily be activated by the trigger finger simply running over the trigger housing sensor along with having a micro switch under the housing that allows the user to turn the units power off if so desired (for instance if you wanted to carry in a jacket pocket and not give any warning or indication). The switch itself will not activate the laser when turned on - a finger sweep in the trigger guard is still required.

If your looking for a laser and want to go with a non-contact activation - look no further. This really is a great little addition to the LCP.

Edited by FIRERESCUEO2
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the detailed review.

If I understand your comments, you have to put your finger inside the trigger guard for it to activate the laser? I know the LCP has a very long trigger pull but that doesn't sound safe IMHO...but I guess you're not going to need the laser until your ready to use the bang switch anyway.

Edited by Trekbike