What to do Medical Emergency

Guest KustomHD

Guest KustomHD

Here is my question, You have a H.C.P. you are carrying your hand gun consealed and you are out with your wife or signifiant outher which does not have a H.C.P. and for whatever reason you get sick, heart attack or hurt in a accident and need medical attention. What would you do with your hand gun? Is it ok for her to carry it in a emergency?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

unload it. Depending on your state, of course, but in most "sane" states it is legal to transport a handgun, unloaded, with the intention of getting it to your home or to the range, etc.

Its also legal to transport ammo. So long as the 2 are seperate and its not easy to load in a flash. So wrap the ammo in something hard to open and in another container than the gun, and its legal in many states.

• Administrator

I'd say it's the least of your worries in a life or death medical emergency. But the legally safest thing to do prepare your significant other ahead of time and show them how to safely separate the firearm from the ammo and stow both apart from one another in the vehicle. Or better yet... get them their HCP.

Here is my question, You have a H.C.P. you are carrying your hand gun consealed and you are out with your wife or signifiant outher which does not have a H.C.P. and for whatever reason you get sick, heart attack or hurt in a accident and need medical attention. What would you do with your hand gun? Is it ok for her to carry it in a emergency?

Have your wife or significant other go and get their HCP so they don't have to worry if this ever happens :) Also, takes care of those instances you leave a firearm in the vehicle or what ever other reason they may end up with a load firearm in their possession.

It takes virtually no training to pass the HCP class, I took my wife, she shot 6 rounds (first 6 rounds she'd ever fired from a pistol) at 15 feet into the target to make sure she knew how to load/unload the revolver, and fire the pistol, operate the target controls... she then took the class 15 minutes later, and passed with flying colors.

Oh, and the added benefit if they ever need to carry a firearm they're not trying to find a class, and wait up to 90 days to get one down the road :)

At most hospitals around Nashville if you are taken in the ER with a handgun it is secured by their security or police department. It happens they do have safes for items like that and other things of value.

This. Most ambulance crews will leave it alone unless it just has to be moved out of the way and when they call the ER to notify them you are coming, they notify the ER staff, who in turn notifies us. We take it, tag it, and put it in the safe. As long as there isn't anything weird it's returned to you when you leave the hospital or to a family member with your consent when you're coherent.

I say "weird" because I've taken several guns off of people in the ER when they got brought in who went straight into cuffs when they came to get it back. Not everywhere does it, but we make sure we're giving the gun back to someone who has it legally. Funny thing is people seem to carry them illegally here in Memphis. :)

Guest tnfireman
This. Most ambulance crews will leave it alone unless it just has to be moved out of the way and when they call the ER to notify them you are coming, they notify the ER staff, who in turn notifies us. We take it, tag it, and put it in the safe. As long as there isn't anything weird it's returned to you when you leave the hospital or to a family member with your consent when you're coherent.

I say "weird" because I've taken several guns off of people in the ER when they got brought in who went straight into cuffs when they came to get it back. Not everywhere does it, but we make sure we're giving the gun back to someone who has it legally. Funny thing is people seem to carry them illegally here in Memphis. :D

+1 The only difference for us (the EMS service I work for) is that will often have an officer meet us at the er.

+1 The only difference for us (the EMS service I work for) is that will often have an officer meet us at the er.

Yea we usually are waiting at the desk when ya'll come in where I work. We get alot of shooting drop offs at our ER so we've all gotten pretty used to securing stuff on our own before MPD ever makes the scene. Joys of working in the ghetto!

well i had a car wreck this past Feb. and i had my gun on me. The Emt simply asked me to give it to the officer on seen. The officer came over and asked for the gun, he unloaded it and held it till my ride came to pick me up to take me to the hospital. I did not want to ride in the ambulance. As soon as my FIL got there the officer gave it to him and off we went. They all were very cool about it and were asking me about my HCP and telling me they had just got theirs or their wife had just got one.

Mike

Guest Sgt. Joe
well i had a car wreck this past Feb. and i had my gun on me. The Emt simply asked me to give it to the officer on seen. The officer came over and asked for the gun, he unloaded it and held it till my ride came to pick me up to take me to the hospital. I did not want to ride in the ambulance. As soon as my FIL got there the officer gave it to him and off we went. They all were very cool about it and were asking me about my HCP and telling me they had just got theirs or their wife had just got one.

Mike

That is one of the better parts of living in TN, all of the LEO's that I know or the ones I have spoken with are indeed very "Permit Friendly". Also both our City Police Chief and our Sheriff have gone on record in support of our right to carry. This is not true in all parts of the country especially when it comes to the CLEOS.

If you're in a car wreck, fear not. If you need to be transported to the hospital, LEO will secure your handgun, not let anyone else have it, and then you play hell getting it back after your discharged from the ER!!!

Is this from experience? I ask because others above didn't seem to have the same problem.

However the reason you state is probably what the OP was thinking when asking about giving to a Significant other or family member before your transported etc...

If you're in a car wreck, fear not. If you need to be transported to the hospital, LEO will secure your handgun, not let anyone else have it, and then you play hell getting it back after your discharged from the ER!!!

I'm curious if this happened to you as well, it would seem that would be a violation of state law... Unless you're arrested or violated 39-17-13xx... I've even heard reports of them not taking firearms for evidence in self defense shootings.... Seems odd they would give you the run around in a car wreck.

39-17-1351t:

Any law enforcement officer of this state or of any county or municipality may, within the realm of the officer's lawful jurisdiction and when the officer is acting in the lawful discharge of the officer's official duties, disarm a permit holder at any time when the officer reasonably believes it is necessary for the protection of the permit holder, officer or other individual or individuals. The officer shall return the handgun to the permit holder before discharging the permit holder from the scene when the officer has determined that the permit holder is not a threat to the officer, to the permit holder, or other individual or individuals provided that the permit holder has not violated any provision of this section and provided the permit holder has not committed any other violation that results in the arrest of the permit holder.

Yeah I'm curious to hear that whole story as well. Getting tagged property back from a PD is alot harder than getting it back from a security department at a hospital you're already at.

Well remember the story of the guy who turned over his handgun at the PD (can't remember why now) for safe keeping and had a lot of trouble getting it back? So it's not unheard of to voluntarily give your handgun to LE and have trouble getting it back, let alone if it is given to them by EMS or someone else. Although I think this is the exception and not the rule.