Wife's Christmas Present (dog related)

Slappy

I have an opportunity to get an AKC register Doberman that is 3 months old. The dog's current family has been going through a divorce and she just stays in her kennel all day in a small apartment. Rescuing a dog is a big commitment. I know she really wants a dog, as do I, and we make enough money to make sure the dog is well taken care of. My question is, should I get the dog and surprise her on Christmas, or should I talk to her about it first and ruin the surprise?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk to her. It'll take BOTH of you to give the dog what it needs, especially if it's had a period of isolation/mistreatment.

And trust me, cooping a dog up by it's self IS mistreatment, even if it's not meant to be. There will be resulting behavioral issues that will need attention.

And that's never minding the fact that it's very much a puppy. "Dog" is one commitment... "Puppy" is quite another.

Edited by Jamie
Wrap up a picture of the dog and give it to her on Christmas. Discuss it fully and then go get dog..........or not!

Good Idea Maybe not the "wow" factor or in this case "Bow Wow" factor as the real deal.

You do have to be devoted . Your lives will change. So just make sure its what you both want.

Nothing more loyal and devoted than a rescued animal.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

Yeah definitely talk to her first. A good friend of mine recently surprised me with a puppy I had to give back because I had went to the shelter and got a puppy that morning. It is not good to surprise someone with a living creature.

Too often a dog that someone THOUGHT was going to be a great addition to the family turns out to not quite be so and off they go to a shelter or the pound.

Yet Another Rescue Dog.

There are so many cast-off pets in shelters today because people simply do not want to live up to the responsibility that led them to get the pets in the first place.

Be 100% sure you know what you are in for

Barking

Vet Bills

Dog Food

walking them or have a fence in your yard.

I have 5 Dogs they are a BIG Responsibility but I knew that and all is GOOD at

my house.

I have 5 Dogs they are a BIG Responsibility but I knew that and all is GOOD at

my house.

We've got 7. The largest is probably somewhere around 150 pounds, the smallest is a 40 pound, soon-to-be 6 month old pup. The rest are in the 60 to 100 pound range. All total, just under 600 pounds of dogs.