Need some input on an everyday carry pistol.

Guest GallatinTN

Guest GallatinTN

Well since I am new to everyday carry, I opted for the LCP because of the size and ability to pocket it with ease. I will get sub compact 9mm soon. I figured for the money I could not beat the LCP to get use to carrying.

Thanks again for all the good input. :)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the world of concealed carry. It has taken me several years and several handguns to learn what to carry and how to carry. I am still learning. My carry guns change from day to day depending on the weather, my dress and the threat. Lately I have been carrying a Smith and Wesson Model 36 3"(IWB) with a Diamondback DB380 as a BUG (in my vest pocket). I really like my little Diamondback. No matter what guns I'm carrying, the pocket 380 is always my back up. I use Cor-Bon Powerballs in my 380.

This is just my opinion and nothing more, and given that I'm not very tactical or tacti-cool, please feel free to ignore it. But:

I think a person is better off with a gun that they will carry, rather than leave at home, and that they can and will practice a lot with.

That means choosing something that's probably not going to be the most powerful hand-cannon ever invented, or is the lightest, or uses ammo that's hard to find and/or expensive.

Someone said you won't regret buying a light S.D. gun... I beg to differ. You will if you can't fire it for more than a few rounds during practice without it leaving your hand sore and/or bloody and blistered. ( Weight helps buffer recoil. The ligher the gun, the harder it is on the shooter, especially in the more powerful calibers. So there's a limit on how light you want it to be.)

Also, remember that it's a self-defense gun. You're not going to be storming any castles with it or trying to fend off any angry hoard or army.

And if you're very very lucky, you'll probably never have to use it for anything more than range practice in your entire life.

So, I'd suggest shooting a few of your choices, and see what you think about them. See if they'll be something you'll actually carry and practice with, and go from there. Anything less ( or more ) is going to be pretty useless any way.

Edited by Jamie
Guest GallatinTN

@Jamie

I agree with what you said. I do own a Ruger P90 and a Colt special detective .38. The Ruger would work if I kept my coat on. The Colt is a bit heavy and clunky, hard to believe that was the conceal weapon of years past.

I knew I wanted a "bug" anyway, but I really enjoyed shooting a Glock 19, so I was going to give the 26 a shot. There are so many good subcompacts to choose from, so I thought I would take my time looking for one.

One a side note: I work where we have a "city counter", so we have folks coming in and out of the shop all day. There has been a couple of instances when I have been there by myself and short staffed that I have got the "funny vibe" from some characters coming in and potentially "casing" the joint. So a bug is better than a stapler.

:tough:

A Glock 19 is pretty easy to conceal, but you'll certainly have to dress around it a helluva lot more than you will the LCP.

Oh, and for what it's worth, when it's the only thing you're carrying, it quits being a BUG. :ugh:

As to the Colt... people dressed a bit differently when the Detective first came out, and guns were generally a lot bigger and heavier... so by their standards then it was a fairly petite little thing.

Anyway, it seems like you've made a good choice, or at least one that's good for you, and found something you can and will carry. Now just be sure an practice with it and you're all set.

Good luck, and I hope you never have to use it anywhere but on the range, poking holes in paper.

But if you do ever need it for something more serious, I'm quite sure it'll serve you MUCH better than a stapler. :up:

Guest GallatinTN

I guess my "greenhorn" is showing. Just figured out what a BUG was, by your comment.;) Oh well, I guess you have to learn somehow... Just figured it meant small gun.

Oh well, whatcha gonna do.;)

Guest BungieCord

Just got around to weighing a couple of pistols. My Kahr PM40 (summer weight EDC) weighs 1.25 lbs loaded with 6 rounds. My G38 (winter weight EDC) weighs 2.13 lbs loaded with 10 rounds. That might not sound like a lot of difference but after 10 or 12 hours of continuous wear, it is pretty substantial.

Just got around to weighing a couple of pistols. My Kahr PM40 (summer weight EDC) weighs 1.25 lbs loaded with 6 rounds. My G38 (winter weight EDC) weighs 2.13 lbs loaded with 10 rounds. That might not sound like a lot of difference but after 10 or 12 hours of continuous wear, it is pretty substantial.

It is. But a plastic lightweight gun jumps around like a fish. I prefer the extra weight and control when its needed to having it a bit easier to carry when its not in use. This is why they make both types, choice is good.

I suggest you spend about as much on ammo as you did the LCP, and shoot it, shoot it, and shoot it some more.This will help you to build familiarity with it and confidence in it. I really like my LCP, and I'm not a fan of plastic guns in general. I can shoot it pretty good, and it sure is easy to conceal and carry.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest GallatinTN

As stated earlier in the post, I bought a LCP for pocket carry. Last week I bought an M&P9 compact, and ordered a Minosaur CompTac IWB and a belt from CompTac as well.

:)

It is. But a plastic lightweight gun jumps around like a fish. I prefer the extra weight and control when its needed to having it a bit easier to carry when its not in use. This is why they make both types, choice is good.

not the pm40

Guest rebeldrummer

It's all preference....what feels good, and what you can shoot well? Don't buy one just because it's the cool gun? Be 100% comfortable with whatever you choose. I agree with those who say carry for the occasion/dress? I carry a. Glock 23 when possible and a Kel-Tec PF9 any other time. I might go smaller, I can see where it might fit the situation better? But for now I'm good

I've been carrying a S&W J-frame in my pocket for 10 years. It's as small as I care to go. It's in a Kramer horsehide pocket holster and I can comfortably carry it summer or winter -- just need to wear comfortable pants with normal-sized pockets.

right now i carry ny xd40 sub-compact,i traded in my mak on it .i still will carry my xd40 tactical in my blackwawk holster but not as often.i may even trade it for a sr9 compact later.i love to shoot it but it just gets heavy and in the way at the end of the day.it will take it's place next to my goverment model 45 in the safe.

You will no doubt get a lot of responses of what each of us likes best. But when it comes down to protecting "your" life, you have to decide what is best for you and your budget.

It is always best to borrow or rent something before you buy it, of course that isnt always possible.

I am also a big Ruger fan but I chose the Sig P238 over the LCP for a 380 BUG. Sig has also just released a sub-compact 9mm but I have not shot it nor heard much about it and I am sure it is rather expensive.

My main carry gun is the Ruger SR9c and I really do like it a lot, a whole lot:)

I also have the full size SR9 and will carry it from time to time. The SR's are pretty thin although not the thinnest out there. They have a nice capacity of 17+1 and the "c" model also comes with a 10 round mag that makes it even easier to conceal. Personally I carry mine with the 17 round mag very easily.

They do not have the lengthy track record of the Glocks but I really feel that it is just a matter of time before more and more folks start to like and buy them. I have yet to hear of any complaints or failure issues with the "c" model and pretty much everyone I know of who has bought one thinks highly of it. Of course nothing is going to be for everyone.

They are available in the $375.00-$425.00 range and all come with two mags. I feel that is more than a fair price for an American made dependable defensive pistol. I trust my life every day to one or the other of mine.

Ruger also just released a 40 cal based on the same design but I have yet to hear much about it. The 40 has only been on the shelves for a month or so but either of the SR 9's is at least worth a look-see for an EDC IMO.

When everyone is done with their recommendations, you still have to decide what "feels" best to you and like I said fire one before you buy it if you can.

If you were closer or could come out this way I would be glad to let you shoot mine. Hopefully you will get some offers of the same in your area.

Good luck and happy hunting to ya:)

I also have an SR9c and absolutely love it. I've put about 500 rounds through it (I've only had it for about a month) and even during the "break in" period it never malfunctioned. Something else you might consider is that Ruger is releasing the LC9 soon. It's a little bit larger than the LCP and has a normal 3 dot sight system rather than the valley sights on the LCP. The larger caliber never hurts in a self defence scenario either. But overall I have to agree, for how much cheaper the SR9c is compared to a Glock or Khar (by the way, I TRADED in a Khar PM40 to get my SR9c) it's almost a no-brainer.

+1 for that. As my previous post mentioned, I inherited a Khar PM40 from my grandfather when he died. It was brand new in the box. I took it out to the range and put about 50 rounds through it. I then cleaned it, put it back in the box, and traded it for my new SR9c. It was so hard to control, the mag capacity was very limited, and frankly it wasn't fun to shoot. I know there's always the argument that the "fun" part doesn't really come into play when talking about self defense, but it wasn't fun to shoot because it was hard to be acurate with it, and acuracy IS important when it comes to self defense. The fun part comes in because the vast majority of us will never have to shoot anyone (hopefully), and that means that the rest of the time I'm trying to enjoy shooting at the range, it's not going to be very fun. Just something to consider.

+1 for that. As my previous post mentioned, I inherited a Khar PM40 from my grandfather when he died. It was brand new in the box. I took it out to the range and put about 50 rounds through it. I then cleaned it, put it back in the box, and traded it for my new SR9c. It was so hard to control, the mag capacity was very limited, and frankly it wasn't fun to shoot. I know there's always the argument that the "fun" part doesn't really come into play when talking about self defense, but it wasn't fun to shoot because it was hard to be acurate with it, and acuracy IS important when it comes to self defense. The fun part comes in because the vast majority of us will never have to shoot anyone (hopefully), and that means that the rest of the time I'm trying to enjoy shooting at the range, it's not going to be very fun. Just something to consider.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I carry a PM40 every day. I find it accurate for an SD piece. As for the range, I have other weapons that are more fun to shoot but a wole lot less concealable.

My advice is to carry what you like and shoot it often. That will be different for everyone.

I agree with Sgt. Joe:

Depending on what I'm wearing and time of year I carry the Sig P239 with extended Mag (7+1) or my Kahr PM9. I also have the SR9c which fits in my Galco 1911 OWB holster. For the Sig I have a custom made back pocket holster and a IWB Crossbreed.

Good luck with your choice! :lol: