Need some input on an everyday carry pistol.

Guest GallatinTN

Guest GallatinTN

I want to carrying on an daily basis. I was looking at the LCP for a pocket gun. I am concerned with the LCP not being the best bet if the :) hits the fan. I do like the price and size.

I am also looking at a Kahr PM9 to wear IWB. I like the size and caliber, price is a little high, but not out of the question.

I like the Glock 26, but it is a bit thick for everyday conceal for work.

I was thinking of a LCP/Glock 26 combo, wear the LCP and keep the Glock in office or truck. And wear the Glock 26 when the situation allows.

I would like to get something soon, but not sure to just go with one gun and get the Kahr PM9 or go with the very concealable LCP to get me to the Glock 26 when needed.

Thanks in advance for your input.:)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do something very similar... I have a Glock19 and a Keltec P3AT (380)... I ALWAYS carry the Keltec, it's in my pocket right now. If I can I also carry the Glock 19, but my style of work dress and certain situations prevent me from properly concealing the Glock, so I have it locked in a car safe or in my office when that happens.

Truth be told, if you can conceal a Glock 26 IWB, concealing the 19 is just as easy (I also own a Glock 26 that my wife carries - along with her own P3AT).

I want to carrying on an daily basis. I was looking at the LCP for a pocket gun. I am concerned with the LCP not being the best bet if the :) hits the fan. I do like the price and size.

I am also looking at a Kahr PM9 to wear IWB. I like the size and caliber, price is a little high, but not out of the question.

I was thinking of a LCP/Glock 26 combo, wear the LCP and keep the Glock in office or truck. And wear the Glock 26 when the situation allows.

I would like to get something soon, but not sure to just go with one gun and get the Kahr PM9 or go with the very concealable LCP to get me to the Glock 26 when needed.

I use the sig p238 for a .380. Its design reduces recoil a bit so its not a hand bruiser like some of these little carry guns, and its light trigger lets me put every shot into a 2-3 inch group at 20-30 feet. Its pricy though. Its a 1911 style: carry hammer back and safety on for fast use or practice safety off and pull the hammer back as you draw it, both modes work great. Its the same size as the LCP. I wouldnt trade you this gun for a box full of the p3at clones.

The LCP is the same as the kel-tec 380, which costs less and has a better warrenty, though the LCP is probably slightly better overall quality. The khar is, IMO, better still. THere are 4 or 5 more small 380s in this category, mostly DAO jobs like the diamondback or the hellcat, or if you want a laser sight, the bodyguard. Shop around on all these if you don't like the sig's design.

Your larger gun, well I am not a glock fan (awesome guns, its a style thing nothing more) so I doubt I can help you there.

Guest Sgt. Joe

You will no doubt get a lot of responses of what each of us likes best. But when it comes down to protecting "your" life, you have to decide what is best for you and your budget.

It is always best to borrow or rent something before you buy it, of course that isnt always possible.

I am also a big Ruger fan but I chose the Sig P238 over the LCP for a 380 BUG. Sig has also just released a sub-compact 9mm but I have not shot it nor heard much about it and I am sure it is rather expensive.

My main carry gun is the Ruger SR9c and I really do like it a lot, a whole lot:)

I also have the full size SR9 and will carry it from time to time. The SR's are pretty thin although not the thinnest out there. They have a nice capacity of 17+1 and the "c" model also comes with a 10 round mag that makes it even easier to conceal. Personally I carry mine with the 17 round mag very easily.

They do not have the lengthy track record of the Glocks but I really feel that it is just a matter of time before more and more folks start to like and buy them. I have yet to hear of any complaints or failure issues with the "c" model and pretty much everyone I know of who has bought one thinks highly of it. Of course nothing is going to be for everyone.

They are available in the $375.00-$425.00 range and all come with two mags. I feel that is more than a fair price for an American made dependable defensive pistol. I trust my life every day to one or the other of mine.

Ruger also just released a 40 cal based on the same design but I have yet to hear much about it. The 40 has only been on the shelves for a month or so but either of the SR 9's is at least worth a look-see for an EDC IMO.

When everyone is done with their recommendations, you still have to decide what "feels" best to you and like I said fire one before you buy it if you can.

If you were closer or could come out this way I would be glad to let you shoot mine. Hopefully you will get some offers of the same in your area.

Good luck and happy hunting to ya:)

G26 everyday. I can wear it with shorts and a t-shirt IWB. This time of the year, i throw a jacket on and don't think twice about it. I carry OWB from time to time if i know i will have a coat on all day. Carry a extra mag and you have 21 rounds of 9mm to get out of a situation.

Carry the gun you shoot well, can easily conceal based upon your style of dress, feels the most comfortable and you can afford.

I agree with Mike, and I'd say to get the best holster you can a good one can make all the difference in whether you carry or leave it at home.

I used to own both an LCP and a G26. I vote Glock 26 all the way. It is just far easier me me to shoot with quickness and precision. It is also very easy to conceal with a combination of a tuckable IWB and a pocket holster. My LCP was perfectly reliable but I hardly ever carried it.

Edited by JReedEsq

I like my Walther PPS .40 S&W for EDC. It is light, thin accurate and reliable. It is very easy to carry in a comp=tac tuckable holster. Downside is the price and only 5 rounds. Sometimes I just put my Ruger LCR in my front pocket for short trips to the store. To me capacity isn't an issue for self defense.

Guest BungieCord

You might come to regret getting a CCW arm because the hole in the end of the barrel is too small but you're unlikely ever to regret getting one because it's too light. The Kahr PM40 is the smallest and lightest .40 S&W autoloader made. It is the exact same external dimensions as the PM9 but you lose one round magazine capacity in exchange for the .40's extra HP. I'm a skinny guy and with an IWB holster, it disappears under even a T-shirt. I have never been "made" while carrying it and half the time I forget I've even got it on.

Because it's so small and light, it is pretty rambunctious to shoot, but not as unpleasant as my lightweight .38s or .380 Kel-Tec P3AT. Still, definitely not an all-day range gun (but that's the price for having something so easy to carry). Adding the grip extension to the 5-rd mag helps in that regard without sacrificing concealability. I carry the spare 6-rd mag in a leather holder that conforms to my weak side hip pocket, in which I otherwise only carry a handkerchief so it's not particularly crowded back there. A local shoe shop ginned up the holder for me for ~$15. It keeps the mag upright and positioned just so and prevents lint entering. So despite the tiny gun, with the spare mag, my walking-around load is 12 rounds.

You might come to regret getting a CCW arm because the hole in the end of the barrel is too small but you're unlikely ever to regret getting one because it's too light. The Kahr PM40 is the smallest and lightest .40 S&W autoloader made. It is the exact same external dimensions as the PM9 but you lose one round magazine capacity in exchange for the .40's extra HP. I'm a skinny guy and with an IWB holster, it disappears under even a T-shirt. I have never been "made" while carrying it and half the time I forget I've even got it on.

Because it's so small and light, it is pretty rambunctious to shoot, but not as unpleasant as my lightweight .38s or .380 Kel-Tec P3AT. Still, definitely not an all-day range gun (but that's the price for having something so easy to carry). Adding the grip extension to the 5-rd mag helps in that regard without sacrificing concealability. I carry the spare 6-rd mag in a leather holder that conforms to my weak side hip pocket, in which I otherwise only carry a handkerchief so it's not particularly crowded back there. A local shoe shop ginned up the holder for me for ~$15. It keeps the mag upright and positioned just so and prevents lint entering. So despite the tiny gun, with the spare mag, my walking-around load is 12 rounds.

If you run across one, a kel-tec p-40 is almost the same as the Khar but holds more rounds, a slight size/capacity tradeoff but they are hard to find now. (Personally, I have decided that DAOs are not for me, and moved to a PX4 SC .40 for the SA trigger pull for follow up shots). The lighter guns are nicer to carry, but the heavier ones are nicer to shoot, its a tradeoff there too. In the end what you carry is a bunch of choices put together into what works best for you, IMO its best to make a decision tree of size, weight, caliber, number of shots, action type, etc and then ask around about the stuff that fits those needs, to see what other people like in a similar platform.

Edited by Jonnin
Guest BungieCord

No one has mentioned a belt. In addition to a good holster, a good belt helps ease the carry. Regular belts are too flimsy and tend to doll over at the top (the heavier the sidearm, the worse if gets), which can let the muzzle dig in and the grip protrude. Most bespoke gunbelts are either double thickness leather or have a plastic stiffener sewn in. Mine are Akers brand, which aren't fancy but are functional and durable and, at ~$40, are about half the asking price for some fancy belts.

If the ;) hits the fan, you're going to need a lot more firepower that anything you can EDC. :P But the right gun will definitely get you out of a pinch in a self-defense situation. To that end, carry what ever you will carry. The biggest mistake that folks make is buying a gun only to let it sit in a drawer. Carrying can be uncomfortable and inconvenient, but the right gun and holster make it much more bearable. For me, it's a G27 in a Comp-tac MTAC or the P3AT in a pocket holster. Both disappear with ease.

I've shot a Ruger LCP and it is a nice little pocket pistol. If i was interested in a 380 automatic, I would seriously consider one. Look at what fits the clothes you wear, the way you choose to carry the gun, ability to draw, and what you shoot best. I cannot carry a belt gun, so I have to carry a small gun too, a hammerless airweight revolver.

Whatever you choose, make sure it is something you can always have on you. A gun in the car doesn't do you much good when you are walking across parking lots someplace it can be stolen. A gun always on you and handy keeps you safe.

I'm not a big guy, 175lbs 5'10. I can CC a 1911 Commander (testing my glock 19 next week) without noticeably printing, but it's due to the great holster. My clothes aren't baggy and are mostly form fitting. Pocket carry and Concealed are a little different. My EDC is also a great range gun. It has to be. I need to be REALLY good with it as to make sure that I maintain full control of the firearm and it's actions in a situation where I am under extreme duress and imminent danger. my running gun (pt709) is also comfortable to shoot and conceal. In fact I use a belly band in the summer. I run with a group and no one has said anything or asked. One person knows, but I volunteered the info during a late night run in east Nashville.

My advice, don't get something that you can't practice a lot with.

Guest buttonhook

+1 for the walther pps

great gun I have it in the 9mm you can carry 6,7,or 8 rounds, all +1 if chambered. It is comfortable to carry IWB (crossbreed supertuck), thin enough to hide about 1" wide, and has a nice recoil so you can shoot it on the range. Mine has been very very accurate and has never had any problems in 1000's of rounds.

down side is the price and accessories. they are exspensive and there's not alot of accessories for them yet.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who runs and carries!

I'm not a big guy, 175lbs 5'10. I can CC a 1911 Commander (testing my glock 19 next week) without noticeably printing, but it's due to the great holster. My clothes aren't baggy and are mostly form fitting. Pocket carry and Concealed are a little different. My EDC is also a great range gun. It has to be. I need to be REALLY good with it as to make sure that I maintain full control of the firearm and it's actions in a situation where I am under extreme duress and imminent danger. my running gun (pt709) is also comfortable to shoot and conceal. In fact I use a belly band in the summer. I run with a group and no one has said anything or asked. One person knows, but I volunteered the info during a late night run in east Nashville.

My advice, don't get something that you can't practice a lot with.