Del Ton Ar parts. Good or Junk

Guest johnsuttontn

Guest johnsuttontn

I'm in the process of building my first ar and have come across some delton stuff that is pretty cheap. I'm new to building ars and dont know products as well as 1911 parts. Any help and experiance will be helpful.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently finishing my first build and I have heavily researched different companies. Delton makes a fine product but for me, with what I wanted to do, after I added m4 ramps and Chrome it wasn't much cheaper than the name brands such as bcm. I'm still looking as to what to get but I hope this helps.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Guest Plus1Hdcp

I have built a DelTon 16 inch Carbine using both the DelTon lower and upper. I did use a DPMS Lower Parts Kit. The fit and finish are great. More importantly the rifle shoots as well as my other AR's (a Colt and Bushmaster). I am sure other companies, including BCM, make great rifles and parts which may be of a higher quality than DelTon but my next build (for my son) will be a DelTon.

Their parts kits are lacking. Get a DPMS parts kit and don't look back. Delton is functional but hardly the best for the money. BCM is a very high quality gun for the money. Stag is also a decent maker for the money as well. They may not be as cheap as Delton but the parts that go into a BCM or Stag are well above Delton's stuff.

Dolomite

I guess the kit that was bought by a friend 2 weeks ago must have been a fluke. It was in a bag that said Delton and was obviously not a DPMS kit. Maybe their rifle kits include a DPMS kit but the Delton parts kit alone is not as good as DPMS. They are not finished the as good as DPMS and seem to be "as cast". DPMS kits have machined surfaces to ensure proper angles and the Delton kits are not. Will the Delton kits work, yes, are they as good as DPMS, I answer that with a resounding NO!

Dolomite

I've only had 2 ARs, one an Armalite and the esentially Delton that I now have. My biggest enemy these days is paper and cost of shooting. So the Delton has 20" 1:9 barrel and shoots cheap 55-62 grain ammo well - well, good enough for me out to 400 yards. A friend of mine who has dozens of ARs, and other similar rifles, parts all over the place and more money tied up in guns than I have in my house put it together for me. My guidelines were: cost, accuracy with cheap ammo, durability and reliability, in keeping that this is my "plinking" rifle, with a decent trigger. It works for me.

AR15-2.jpg

Guest Archminister01

Unless your looking to make a match rifle, all of them have to meet certain specs. Here's a little story. I was out doing my yearly rifle qualifier at the range. The Sheriff's office allows you to carry your own build as long as you can qualify with it. needless to say there were some rigs out there that cost more than $3k. One of my best buddies didnt own an AR platform so he was qualifying with one of the Office's rifles. At the end of the day he qualified better than many of the fellas using the high dollar rigs. The rest of them he shot just as well as. My point, most weapons out there will shoot better than you will any day of the week including accuracy. If it goes bang every time, doesnt jam, put the round where you are aiming to put it and gives you the confidence to use it in a life and death matter, screw paying a ton of money for a plinker or even what you would call you zombie killer battle rifle. If its cleaned and well maintained your usually good. I have seen plenty of high speed High dollars rigs take a **** before. Get what you are comfortable with and what fits into your budget.

My friend actually shoots an Ar that he built using Model 1 sales parts. Damn thing shoots well and he regularly put rounds on target out to 400 yards. Never had a bit of trouble.

Edited by Archminister01
Guest hcso617

I wanted to spread a little love for DTI, I've owned a Colt for 20 years ( I love it), I'm issued a S&W at work. I bought the Del-Ton because the price was right and I wanted something my boy's could abuse. I have used this rifle in 2 Suarez Advanced Rifle Gun fighting classes (got some snide comments from the high end crowd) and 2 classes at Tactical Response, Fighting Rifle and Extended Range Precision Rifle. I have well over 10,000 rounds through this rifle without a hiccup. I would recommend Del-Ton as a good value and good product.

I have two Del-Ton uppers mated with Doublestar lowers that have never failed me. They feed brass or steel case ammo just fine, which is more than I can say for my Armalite AR. Del-Ton's service is good too, with friendly helpful people. I really don't think you can go wrong with their products.

I just bought myself a complete Del-Ton recently (and the weather is keeping me indoors, dammit) and the reason I went with a complete rifle is because the only bad things I've heard about them were when they were builds. Could it be builder's error? Putting a weak part in, or something?

Guest Keinengel
This is a timely thread. I was/am considering a Del-Ton kit for a budge AR build.

Same here. I'm not looking for a match grade rifle but I don't want a piece of junk thats going to break down on me. However with money as tight as it is for me, cost is the main thing I consider and the Del-ton kits are looking pretty good in that area.

Used a Del-Ton 16 inch chromelined heavy barrel midlength gas system parts kit to build on a Doublestar lower in 2008. This was my first centerfire rifle and I planned on wearing out the chrome lining AND bayonet lug battling zombies. Rifle worked like my buddies Bushmasters until after the 200th Wolf round when it turned into a single shot. After a chamber brush was aquired it ran fine until my 500th round of Wolf and 200th round of brass 223 were gone. During this time I also put countless rimfire rounds through my Ciener conversion. At this point I decided to convert to 223 Saigas and haven't looked back. Although sometimes late at night I miss it.... The upper and lower went to different TGOers so maybe they'll comment on the longevity...

I was pleased, felt like I got my money's worth, and would recommend them for a "budget" build:)

Used a Del-Ton 16 inch chromelined heavy barrel midlength gas system parts kit to build on a Doublestar lower in 2008. This was my first centerfire rifle and I planned on wearing out the chrome lining AND bayonet lug battling zombies. Rifle worked like my buddies Bushmasters until after the 200th Wolf round when it turned into a single shot. After a chamber brush was aquired it ran fine until my 500th round of Wolf and 200th round of brass 223 were gone.

If your rifle can't shoot more than 200 rounds before it needs to be cleaned then it has(had) some serious issues.

To those folks with "perfectly" functioning rifles, what are your round counts? Classes attended with said rifle? Cleaning schedule?

Mike

If your rifle can't shoot more than 200 rounds before it needs to be cleaned then it has(had) some serious issues.

To those folks with "perfectly" functioning rifles, what are your round counts? Classes attended with said rifle? Cleaning schedule?

Mike

He did mention it was with dirty-ass Wolf.