Legality of other defensive weapons

Guest Commander45

Guest Commander45

I'm a noob to the site, so forgive me if I am repeating someone else's questions.

I am a permit holder in Memphis who is prohibited from carrying while at work or keeping my weapon in my vehicle while parked on company property. I often walk to lunch in the downtown area. There are a number of street characters that hang out along the route. Some are clearly disturbed, some are aggressive bums, and others are just miscreants. I have considered purchasing a slap or blackjack to tuck into my boot or back pocket to stop a threat, should one arise(I have been fortunate so far). What is the legality of carrying such a defensive weapon. The handgun carry permit is just that, but is there a 'spirit' of the law which covers carrying other defensive weapons? I noticed Kentucky has labeled their permit as CCDW-concealed carry of defensive weapons. I didn't know how it was in TN. Any help would be appreciated. I have an extendable baton in my vehicle but it wouldn't be as practical as a leather sap.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this sounds snippy, but pack your lunch.

Seriously, if you know an area is unsafe, do not go into the area when it is not necessary. Remove the threat by not exposing yourself to it.

After reading, this sounds harsh...

I do understand the view: How dare they change the way I live and what I do... I follow this view a lot, sometimes to my detriment...

Edited by HvyMtl

Fox 5.3 is good pepper spray. Pull up some Youtube videos of that stuff. It puts the distance between you and a thug so you can spray and run. RangeUSA over in Bartlett sells Fox. I bought the cone for my wife. I slip it in my pocket it when we go to college games where it is illegal to carry my handgun. I spray the old can after about a year and buy a fresh can.

Taser has a real small personal sized airgun. Not a bad price for 250 bucks. Those look easy to hide.

RangeUSA offers the impact training. You might want to check out their website and give them a call. They have a nice indoor range. I go there when I can't shoot outdoors. Good luck and stay safe downtown. I don't blame you one bit for wanting to carry a blackjack downtown. There are a lot of creep druggies roaming around in the business areas that are hard to avoid in daytime when you are working. It's a shame Memphis let's them roam like they do instead of bringing out paddy wagons and rounding them up.

Guest tnxdshooter
I'm a noob to the site, so forgive me if I am repeating someone else's questions.

I am a permit holder in Memphis who is prohibited from carrying while at work or keeping my weapon in my vehicle while parked on company property. I often walk to lunch in the downtown area. There are a number of street characters that hang out along the route. Some are clearly disturbed, some are aggressive bums, and others are just miscreants. I have considered purchasing a slap or blackjack to tuck into my boot or back pocket to stop a threat, should one arise(I have been fortunate so far). What is the legality of carrying such a defensive weapon. The handgun carry permit is just that, but is there a 'spirit' of the law which covers carrying other defensive weapons? I noticed Kentucky has labeled their permit as CCDW-concealed carry of defensive weapons. I didn't know how it was in TN. Any help would be appreciated. I have an extendable baton in my vehicle but it wouldn't be as practical as a leather sap.

Id take my gun anyways. Worse thing they can do is fire ya.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se
I know this sounds snippy, but pack your lunch.

Seriously, if you know an area is unsafe, do not go into the area when it is not necessary. Remove the threat by not exposing yourself to it.

After reading, this sounds harsh...

I do understand the view: How dare they change the way I live and what I do... I follow this view a lot, sometimes to my detriment...

He is talking about downtown Memphis. I can understand wanting something more than just my fists but as a student I cant carry to school so on lunchbreak I cant carry unless I go back to the garage. It really isnt that bad overall. It is like telling someone not to walk along Broadway or 2nd in the day due to hobos.

Id take my gun anyways. Worse thing they can do is fire ya.

Some people actually value their jobs lol