Gun Ranges

Guest brenster99

Guest brenster99

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone in here has had experience with either the Chuck Swan WMA gun range or the Rifle Range Road (North Knoxville) gun range. I need to sight in a rifle and a shotgun with a scope. It seems like the Chuck Swan is free, and Rifle range has more limited options as far as timing goes.

Can anyone tell me if I need to bring my own targets to Chuck Swan? I cant seem to find it anywhere. I drive by chuck swan every day, and I live in north Knoxville, so distance isn't a factor for either one...

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless something has changed John Sevier range (the one on Rifle Range Rd) is $5.50 for two hours. 100 yards max. Supply your own targets or they sell them for like a quarter.

As long as you don't cross an RSO, you'll be fine. I've never had a problem there.

There is also a range (up to 205 yrds) in Norris. Unsupervised. $40 for one year pass available from the Norris PD.

Edited by Garufa
Guest brenster99

Ok, so it looks like I'll avoid the Rocket Submarine Operator...

Appreciate all the help guys (and ladies?, sorry don't know who anyone here is yet)!!!

Guest brenster99

Don't want to start a new thread, so ill change the topic on this one a little....

Anyone know the best way to pick up an old, old .22 or anything old/dinged up/little rusty/whatever. In the future would like to restore an old double barrel and old pump .22 that my great grandfather passed down to my family, but I don't want to start on those guns and mess them up. My grandpa also has an M1 that I would like to have a go at. So basically I'm just looking for something really cheap to practice on first.(bluing and refinishing the wood) since both my wife and I are in grad school and don't have the $$ to buy a nice one to try it on...

I know a gunshop would do a better job restoring them, its more a matter of personal satisfaction than it is about them being showroom guns...

Would it best for me to try to buy one from a pawn shop? I am looking to spend less than $50 on the gun, not sure if that is possible, and I feel like most pawn shops don't buy guns in that bad of condition...

Thanks in advance!

Guest brenster99

Do a little restoration on, the wood isn't in very good condition, the metal seems pretty well taken care of, he was interested in me trying to make it look a little nicer if i get the hang of it...

Guest Letereat!

If you can find a $50.00 Gun I would be wary.....prob not the sellers gun.

I have South african FAL kit I have been playing with Bluing the small parts. You cant mess it up. I have discovered that heating the pieces in the oven after anal retintive prep then smearing Bluing paste on gives a near professional finish. I use 120 grit, to 180 then to 220 then 400. De-grease, (wear gloves) dry, bake and paste. Ill throw some pics up tomorrow. Here is a link to a wood refinishing thread off FAL files. The FAL Files Forums - Basic Stock Refinishing 101

Guest brenster99

As far as a $50 gun I'm just talking like an inexpensive .22 that someone has laying around collecting dust. You can buy a new .22 and a nice accurate one for $100 (marlin 795) i would think someone has one lying around not in great condition that isnt worth much more than $50, i found someone where i used to live who had one i wanted, but didnt have the time or money to do it at that point in my life...

Someone was selling a couple single shot older .22's in good condition for $75 each last week, so i dont think its too far fetched to think i could find a worse condition one for less. im not looking for a 10/22 or anything :D

Guest Letereat!

Valid Point. I didnt read your post closely and I thought you were looking for a $50.00 handgun.

My bluing project is not going well, its is not "sticking", not sure where I have gone wrong.

Guest brenster99

Not sticking would make me think it wasn't degreased well enough? That a possibility? I don't know much about it, but from what I have gathered that is one reason for the blue not sticking...

On another note, you would think finding an old rusty .22 would be easy, but I have done every internet search, classified search and whatnot, still can't find any. Although I'm not sure if I'm ready to get one, it would be nice to be able to find one and know they are out there... haha

I guess people don't figure there is a market for beat up guns? The Free-er the better...

Guest Letereat!

Yea, I degreased the hell out of the parts. I actually got the heat and paste tip from a friend. When I went to rinse the excess paste off, the blue came with it?? I did not buff with steel wool between coats either. Not sure what the deal is.

I found a product on Brownells called "oxpho-blue" that was highly recomended. Im gonna order 16 oz and try again. Mabey boil the parts, bake, then submerge. I'll get a good process soon, thats half the fun anyway.

I have a cousin that works with a bunch of gunners and he is always wheeling and dealing. He may even have an old .22 laying around. I'll keep my eyes open. You may have some luck posting a WTB add in on here, there is a forum just for buying selling and trading.

Guest brenster99

I have seen the forums, don't think I can justify spending $20 for a premium membership to buy a beat up <$50 gun, especially living on student loans... haha

I can't imagine the wife would be too happy seeing that on the credit card statement...

I will probably end up just checking out pawn shops and see if I can find a low price and talk them down lower, you know they pay 1/2 of what they sell it for max anyways, so I think I could get it down a bit.

On another note...

There was a good 4 or 5 part you tube series on re-finishing a gun barrel. It wasn't extremely high quality filming, but it showed everything stepwise and had some good tips.

YouTube - "Introduction to Cold Bluing Firearms" Part 1 Military Surplus Rifle

from this link, you can find all the other videos in the "series".

Guest Letereat!

Haven't had a chance to watch the Vid yet but as soon as I do ill display my results good or bad. Did you hear him say he only had $50.00 in that piece. Thats what I would persue, 8mm ammo aint as cheap as .22 but it is considerably less than 7.62 x 39, and way less than .303 and many other calibers.

You might consider Farnsworth firearms in Vonore. They have more varity and more used guns than any shop in knoxville by far. If anyone was likely to have a "project" gun I think they would be the best bet. Its bout an hour down 411, no websight, but a Google search will get you their address, phone number and a map to their location, its well worth the trip.

Edited by Letereat!
Guest brenster99

I might have to check that out, I'll be heading down 74 to Alabama in a couple of weeks so I can probably afford to make the detour. doesn't look but 10-15 miles off I-75. Thanks!