Stainless or Blue

Guest mds3d

I have read about the many advantages of stainless and blue barrels. I like the looks of both for different reasons.

I do have one question. Does anyone worry about the reflectivity of a stainless barrel when hunting? I am especially worried about predator hunting. Is it reasonable to think that the reflection of light on a stainless barrel would give me away, when a blue barrel would not have?

Thanks.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen light reflect off of a polished blue barrel before. Either barrel is fine. Stainless seems to take the weather a little better. Wrap either one in camo and don't worry too much about it.

Edited by wd-40
I've seen light reflect off of a polished blue barrel before. Either barrel is fine. Stainless seems to take the weather a little better. Wrap either one in camo and don't worry too much about.

Exactly I have hunted with both blued and stainless and never had a problem.

Guest BungieCord

Bass Pro and Dick's sell a $9 gizmo called a "gun sock". It's a cloth realtree camo sleeve you can slide over your gun. You can put the whole thing on an autoloader. I cut one in half and put the front half on my 'yote gun, which is a bolt gun with a brushed finish stainless barrel. Just take it off when it gets wet, it tends to hold water and could rust whatever's underneath it.

Thanks for the help. I have been looking at a Remington 700 in .223 for a moderate size caliber. The one I like most is the Varmint SF, but I was worried about the stainless barrel. It's probably will be what I by with any Christmas cash I get. :)

mds:_____________

For what it's worth; there are those who think the stainless barrel is the better of the two (....i could never tell the difference myself; and ive used both...). Lots of target shooting folks swear by the stainless barrels and they shoot a lot. I have an old Remington 700 from the sixties that has a stainless varmit barrel in it (...it's a 222; just a bit smaller than a 223...) that will consistently shoot 5 shot one hundred yard groups (...it has a 12 power lyman target scope in old timey weaver rings...) that you can lay a dime over (...with no wind...). They work great.

Have fun.

Leroy

I have never seen any practical difference difference between the two for hunting purposes from a accuracy standpoint. When it comes to which is more accurate in benchrest shooting, it is an argument I am not interested in getting into. Either one will reflect light.

From a rust proof standpoint there is a definite difference. I often go on long hunts where I am stuck in the wild for days at a time. When on these hunts I always carry my stainless rifles. Most of my hunting partners use blued barrels. At the end of a long day or couple of days exposed to rain, snow and constant moisture they almost always have surface rust developing on their guns and have to wipe them down. Though stainless will rust from prolonged exposure, mine never have developed any of the surface rust my partners blued guns. It isn't really a big deal as long as you have the wipes to rub the gun down with. That is my experience for what it is worth. If you never really spend expended time gone, it probably won't make a lot of difference.

• 2 months later...

I love my stainless Browning A-bolt. It has been with me through ALL sorts of weather and all sorts of game. I don't spoil it with greasy rags immiediately after a wet hunt and it still looks like it did he day I bought it (1992). It is the one in my pic ask that coyote if he saw the reflection. I think it looks no different from alot of sapplings I see in the woods. I have a SS Muzzle Loader too, I am a HUGE fan of that one. JMO

Something else you can do to matte down stainless is have it media blasted. I know it is more of a permanent solution but it does tone it down a lot. Another option is some Krylon. Just take the action out of the stock and paint it. When you decide you have had enough of the paint use some brake cleaner to clean it off.

Dolomite