7.62x54 for moisin 89/30 Looking local Nashville

Guest stueym

Hey

Does anyone know where I can get some 7.62 x 54 local here in Middle TN. I am located in Wilson County. It's to go with a moisin surplus that I got my son for his Christmas and I am sure he will want to go shooting it as soon as he get's it cleaned up.

Suggestions?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey

Does anyone know where I can get some 7.62 x 54 local here in Middle TN. I am located in Wilson County. It's to go with a moisin surplus that I got my son for his Christmas and I am sure he will want to go shooting it as soon as he get's it cleaned up.

Suggestions?

The Mosinites I know all buy surplus ammo online - I think Czech stuff is one of the favs.

I don't think I've ever seen any in a brick and mortar store?

- OS

I saw some euro spam cans stacked at Franklin Guns awhile back, but I don't remember what rounds were in them. I'm sure someone on the forum would be willing to sell you some of their stock to get you started. If you upgrade your account to Benefactor status, you can post a wanted-to-buy ad in that section.

For stocking up, web prices on European surplus are hard to beat. Doing a little searching, the prices I've found so far are (per 440 round "spam can"):

- cheaperthandirt.com ($95 per can)

- ammunitiontogo.com ($75 per can, $73 each for two)

- jgsales.com ($85 per can, $83 each for two)

- ammoman.com ($129 per can, $105 each for two, $100 each for ten) (SHIPPING INCLUDED in price)

- aimsurplus.com ($90 per can, $80 each for two)

- surplusammo.com ($90 per can)

You can also see what's up for sale at gunbroker.com (ebay-style site)

Edited by NashvilleStage
AIM Surplus calcs shipping seperately

Also, it can be found at gun shows. RK Shows has an event at the Williamson Co Ag Center. There is a fellow who shows pretty regularly at the Bill Goodman Shows, who always has a selection of Polish, Albanian, Russian, etc., broken up in 40 round groups.

Remember to watch shipping costs online. And make sure you meet the requirements for the shipping. No big deal.

D&T did have some my last visit, so did Guns and Leather in Greenbrier... Call them and ask.

(1891/30) Remember it is 7.62x54r (The "r" is for rimmed cartridge, not "Russian")

IF it is Surplus, I would suggest getting Bulgarian, Russian, or Yugo - my fav is Yugoslav M30 - and check the date of manufacture...

Remember to clean after the mil surplus ammo, as it is corrosive...

There are other manufacturers Wolf, Barnaul, Tula, Brown Bear, Prvi Partisan, Sellier & Bellot, to name a few, that produce new, non-corrosive ammo...

For an idea of costs online, use gun-deals.com

7.62x54r Master Cartridge Reference For looking at the head stamp to figure out the place of manufacture and possibly the date.

Edited by HvyMtl

Reason to check manufacture? Because some stuff may be old. Remember, ammo has been made since the rifle was built. Really, it is more about checking the condition of the Mil Surp, as some may not have stored the ammo correctly.

Example, I would buy a 1970's-1990's vintage, over 1950's or older. Just my opinion. And yes, there is, supposedly in existence, 7.62x54r produced by the U.S. for Desert Storm, and can be found rarely on the auction sights.

AIM does have an excellent reputation. Buy online, if you can get a good deal. IF you want it now, expect to pay a little more than online.

Brass case is best, copper washed, then steel with lacquer. This is "in general." Yugo M30 is the best I have shot. I have shot Albanian brass (did not care for the grouping) Bulgarian 1980's (not bad) Russian copper wash (better through my 1891/30 than my Finn M39) and Yugo M30. I would suggest the Russian copper wash for your rifle. Since my M39 seems to love Yugo M30, I will continue to buy it.

Remember: Mil Surp is corrosive ammo. Which means, after fired, it leaves a deposit in the barrel which attracts moisture, which makes the barrel rust. No big deal, just after firing, a little Windex down the barrel, then dried by a few patches should cover this issue, so you can then take it home and do the standard rifle cleaning.

Edited by HvyMtl

Guys thank you all. Much appreciated and next question will probably be your fave ways to strip down the Cosmoline, but we'll leave that until it arrives and after he unwraps it Christmas day.