Thoughts on best complete upper...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be a stupid question (still learning), but is there a big difference in quality and/or performance from manufacturers such as LMT, LT, POF, BMC, LWRC, etc...? Wouldn't someone purchasing an upper from any of the aforementioned manufacturers have a top quality product in their hands? I have wondered how much brand loyalty factors into a person's definition as to what is the best.

• Administrator
I have wondered how much brand loyalty factors into a person's definition as to what is the best.

Everyone wants to believe that the equipment they own is the best, or at least that it isn't crap. That's why you have so many people advocating whatever they own, regardless of whether or not the collective experiences of others suggest that a better product could be had.

In the interest of full disclosure, I do not own a BCM upper receiver group. I do own a BCM bolt carrier group, but my upper receiver is made by LMT. I think that LMT is a fine manufacturer, however I think that BCM produces comparable or better quality gear at a lower price and with more options to suit individual application and/or tastes. Therefore my recommendation is not based on what I own, but what I have come to determine is a better value for the dollar.

As for researching this, my other recommendation is to visit a forum devoted to the AR platform but to choose a forum that isn't mired down with the fanboi bulls#t that has ruined ARFCOM. My suggestion is M4Carbine.net -- and you'll be surprised how many other TGO members are members there and will agree with me on that. :up:

Sign up, search, search some more, search again and then ask questions if your specific questions haven't already been answered. You'll find a ton of quality, reliable information based off of real world experience there. Not a lot of posturing and brand-loyal territorial pissing like you see on ARFCOM.

For their price, I have to agree with Dave on Bravo Company. I've used a couple of their barrels

and they are very good.

There are some smaller, less known places like Innovative Tactical Systems LLC, Made in USA, AR 15 uppers, piston operated tactical upper, 5.56, 6.8spc, custom precision barrels.

He makes some very good stuff. Good reputation. His barrels are top notch, along

with his complete uppers and the price is right.

Want to pay more? Noveske is up there with price and quality. Doesn't get much better.

Bottom line is that there are a lot of good quality AR mechanics out there.

Guest 73challenger

I agree with David as well. You should check out m4carbine.com and ar15.com. I have a Spikes Tactical but I would be happy with any 1st tier rifle. (BCM, LMT, Colt, Noveske, Larue, etc). I am so glad I sold my delton rifle to build a spikes.

Everyone wants to believe that the equipment they own is the best, or at least that it isn't crap. That's why you have so many people advocating whatever they own, regardless of whether or not the collective experiences of others suggest that a better product could be had.

In the interest of full disclosure, I do not own a BCM upper receiver group. I do own a BCM bolt carrier group, but my upper receiver is made by LMT. I think that LMT is a fine manufacturer, however I think that BCM produces comparable or better quality gear at a lower price and with more options to suit individual application and/or tastes. Therefore my recommendation is not based on what I own, but what I have come to determine is a better value for the dollar.

As for researching this, my other recommendation is to visit a forum devoted to the AR platform but to choose a forum that isn't mired down with the fanboi bulls#t that has ruined ARFCOM. My suggestion is M4Carbine.net -- and you'll be surprised how many other TGO members are members there and will agree with me on that. :)

Sign up, search, search some more, search again and then ask questions if your specific questions haven't already been answered. You'll find a ton of quality, reliable information based off of real world experience there. Not a lot of posturing and brand-loyal territorial pissing like you see on ARFCOM.

I appreciate the info. I went to several forums and did some reading before making my first rifle purchase. While possessing little knowledge of rifles, I felt it was difficult to distinguish who is full of it from those who really know what they are talking about. There was too much of DI vs. GP, this manufacturer is better than that one, and they are overated and overpriced type of bull. That is why I ended up coming back here to post a thread seeking recommendations on a good rifle.

I am certain I purchased more rifle than I would ever possibly need (especially on tha accessory side), and I am sure that there is better stuff out there in terms of value and performance. To the OP, I don't know if I would be concerned with what is deemed the best. By looking at this thread alone, everyone has a different viewpoint as to what is the best. I dropped a butt load of money on my recent rifle and accessories purchase. Is it the best? Don't know, some say yes, and others say it is an overpriced piece of crap. I don't have the knowledge to say who is right or worng. All I can really say is that I like it, and I plan on having a lot of fun learning with it and shooting the crap out of it. As a become more knowledgable and familiar with the ar platform, I will learn what I like and don't like, and eventually I may be able to make my own determination as to what is "best" for me.