Recoil of a 1911?

Bubbatn

So I am getting the 1911 bug and wanting to get one soon as I come up with the coin, however I got to thinking I have never actually shot one. I have felt of quite a few in the store and I like how they feel in my hand, but i'm just wondering what they feel like shooting? So how is the recoil on a FS or Commander length 1911(.45 of course)?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As felt recoil is quite subjective, your best bet is to find someone with a 1911 who'll let you shoot it and see for yourself if you find it comfortable to shoot. (Or find a range where you can rent one for half an hour and put 50 rounds through it.)

That said, there's a reason that they've been building 1911s for almost 100 years now ...

The weight helps soak up the recoil.

Thats kinda what I was thinking. May have to see about going over to Coal Creek saturday after the show and see what kind of 1911's they got to try out. Hopefully I can pull myself away from the show in time to get there before 4pm.

My wife's 15 year old nephew shot my RIA 1911 over Thanksgiving. It was the first big bore handgun he had ever shot. I put a mag through it so he'd know what to expect. Once I had him tweak his stance, he fired away. His first comment after the slide locked back was: "I like this!". He could have shot it all day - if we had enough ammo.

Thanks guys, That is kinda the response I was expecting. I have shot polymer .40's before, and pretty sure I shot something one time that was a .45, however can't remember for sure what it was. Nothing I have shot has left me saying "to heck with that"....haha. Closest thing I suppose is my mom's .38 S&W Airweight, but still nothing to whine about too much.

I'm not sure coal creek has any 1911's in 45 for rent, I'm not 100% on that though (see signature). However I know for a fact Frontier has 2 Springfield loaded models for rent. I would be more than happy to let you shoot either of mine, I just wont be in knoxville this weekend but if you want to drive to Johnson City we can poke some holes in something :rolleyes:

I'm not sure coal creek has any 1911's in 45 for rent, I'm not 100% on that though (see signature). However I know for a fact Frontier has 2 Springfield loaded models for rent. I would be more than happy to let you shoot either of mine, I just wont be in knoxville this weekend but if you want to drive to Johnson City we can poke some holes in something :rolleyes:

Thanks for the offer man! Maybe some other time.

Coal Creek's site(although not sure how updated they keep this list) says they got two Kimbers for rent, both in 45....Kimber Custom Target II .45 ACP, and a Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP.

Thanks for the offer man! Maybe some other time.

Coal Creek's site(although not sure how updated they keep this list) says they got two Kimbers for rent, both in 45....Kimber Custom Target II .45 ACP, and a Kimber Pro Carry II .45 ACP.

Well I stand corrected, I was going strictly from memory

So I am getting the 1911 bug and wanting to get one soon as I come up with the coin, however I got to thinking I have never actually shot one. I have felt of quite a few in the store and I like how they feel in my hand, but i'm just wondering what they feel like shooting? So how is the recoil on a FS or Commander length 1911(.45 of course)?

Recoil is gun specific. I have shot a cheap .25 that bruised my hand, and my 380 that is the same size as the 25 has far less recoil due to the design of the gun. A 1911 is "typically" a heavy gun that has a long barrel and massive frame and good springs. The springs and inertia of the heavy frame will help to manage recoil; I can shoot my old S&W 1911 with 1 hand and it has less recoil than most plastic 9mm defense pistols. If you can handle a plastic 9mm, the .45 in a steel frame is going to be more than gentle in comparison. Where the gun specifics come into play is a lightweight 1911 with a partially plastic frame, aluminum instead of steel frame, or other such weight reduction. The lighter the gun is the more it will jump, and the .45 is a moderately stout round. Also weaker recoil springs and hammer springs will allow more recoil through to the user. There are a few plastic 45s but I am not sure if any of the "truely" 1911s have much plastic. Same for aluminum, I could not say how many have a lighter frame. If you are shy of heavy recoil guns, look for heavier models, and see if you can borrow one to try --- almost every gun owner has one of these things, if you hang out at a range for an hour or two on a weekend, you will be very likely to see someone with one and just ask nicely if you can fire a round or 2 -- the old "I am new to guns and like the look of yours" usually works, Ive had a number of folks want to try various things that I have and I always allow them to give it a try.

Hey Bubba, you need to check out the Sig 220 in .45 also. I just got one a few weeks ago and love it. Unless you are just dead set on a 1911. If we can meet up I will let you try it out.

Recoil is gun specific. I have shot a cheap .25 that bruised my hand, and my 380 that is the same size as the 25 has far less recoil due to the design of the gun. A 1911 is "typically" a heavy gun that has a long barrel and massive frame and good springs. The springs and inertia of the heavy frame will help to manage recoil; I can shoot my old S&W 1911 with 1 hand and it has less recoil than most plastic 9mm defense pistols. If you can handle a plastic 9mm, the .45 in a steel frame is going to be more than gentle in comparison. Where the gun specifics come into play is a lightweight 1911 with a partially plastic frame, aluminum instead of steel frame, or other such weight reduction. The lighter the gun is the more it will jump, and the .45 is a moderately stout round. Also weaker recoil springs and hammer springs will allow more recoil through to the user. There are a few plastic 45s but I am not sure if any of the "truely" 1911s have much plastic. Same for aluminum, I could not say how many have a lighter frame. If you are shy of heavy recoil guns, look for heavier models, and see if you can borrow one to try --- almost every gun owner has one of these things, if you hang out at a range for an hour or two on a weekend, you will be very likely to see someone with one and just ask nicely if you can fire a round or 2 -- the old "I am new to guns and like the look of yours" usually works, Ive had a number of folks want to try various things that I have and I always allow them to give it a try.

I have a commander (4") sized Kimber in .45ACP with an alloy frame, and it's very pleasant to shoot. Even with the alloy frame, it's still a comparatively heavy gun vs. anything polymer. As others have noted previously, the recoil of a .45 is different than other calibers - it's much more a shove than a snap. From my personal experience, I would put the recoil of a .45 from a "heavy" pistol (Sig 220, 1911) in between that of a 9mm and a .40, both of which were also fired from "heavy" pistols (9mm: Sig P229, .40: Ruger P94). YMMV; I have not fired these calibers from lightweight pistols, thus I cannot compare them. Apples, oranges, and such...

Don't do it unless you got your money lined up for the purchase. You will be smitten you will be going to sleep dreaming about it . longing for it almost willing to sell off what you have to buy it . I've shot two different brands a RIA and a Springer loaded target .Both left me with lustful thoughts. The Dance with the springer was like a one night stand with Angelina Jolie . I'm in love !!

All joking aside the 1911 has as others described a strong push but not near as snappy as say Glock or XD in .40 cal. I'd even go as far to say that the recoil seemed more manageable in the full size 1911 in .45 cal than the recoil on my service model XD in 9mm .

I have a commander (4") sized Kimber in .45ACP with an alloy frame, and it's very pleasant to shoot. Even with the alloy frame, it's still a comparatively heavy gun vs. anything polymer. As others have noted previously, the recoil of a .45 is different than other calibers - it's much more a shove than a snap. From my personal experience, I would put the recoil of a .45 from a "heavy" pistol (Sig 220, 1911) in between that of a 9mm and a .40, both of which were also fired from "heavy" pistols (9mm: Sig P229, .40: Ruger P94). YMMV; I have not fired these calibers from lightweight pistols, thus I cannot compare them. Apples, oranges, and such...

The kimber is 4 inches long? Either I misread that or there is a gun I need to go buy...!

Its hard to describe recoil indeed. No 45 that I have ever shot is anything like a lightweight small frame 9mm shooting stout loads. The 9 is far, far worse. I do not understand 40s: its bigger and has more "felt" recoil than a 9, yet at the same time it also seems to push somewhat more than jerk. I can hold a plastic 40 on target and fire rapidly and effectively. I cannt do this with the 9s. I cannot explain that at all. The 4 in a small plastic gun is also much, much worse than a 45, that much I can say.

I shoot one handed mostly, and a box of 40 leaves my hand a bit numb/stunned and fatigued, more than a box at a time would be difficult for me. I can shoot a .45 all day, can and have run 2-3 boxes at one time, and the HAND is fine afterwards but my arm gets very tired...

The kimber is 4 inches long? Either I misread that or there is a gun I need to go buy...!

You need to slip over to Sportsmans Warehouse. They have a good selection of 1911's (probably mostly Kimbers) in all 3 sizes.

Reasonable prices, usually 12-15% below MSRP.

At one time or another I've shot most every caliber of handgun out there (well, at least the popular calibers and many of the less popular ones)...a .45 especially out of a 1911 is nothing to worry about in terms of recoil...I suspect you'll likely find that the felt recoil in a 1911 in .45 trim is not only far less of an issue than you imagine but less than you've already experienced in other handguns if you've done much shooting at all.

I'm a "1911" guy...I carried one in the service and have own several and although I've got a two or three non-1911's the 1911 will always be my handgun of choice both for the fun of shooting as well as for carry. I live in Murfreesboro so if you are ever over this way, just let me know; I'd be happy to let you shoot any of mine that you want and "On Target" shooting range rents many guns at their range.