My next home defense gun

I've recently been thinking about a new home defense gun. Currently I leave my carry gun, Glock 26, on the night stand along with my Surefire E2D LED for social work in the dark and do have a 20ga ready to go with buckshot.

But now I'm starting to think about either stepping up to a 12ga with the intent of someday going through the NFA process and cutting it down to a 14in with the surefire forend or getting a fullsize larger caliber pistol, like a Glock 21sf equipped with some sort of rail mounted light.

Opinions and suggestions? Thanks

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are so many good choices out there and you will probably get 50 different answers. I say just go with what YOU like best. I bought a 12 ga a while back for home defense and later realized I'm more comfortable with a handgun. My nightstand gun is my XD 40 with a Streamlight TLR-3 attached.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
If I was going to use an NFA item for home defense, it would be a short barrel AR with a suppressor.

Agreed. NFA shotguns look neat, but they are a significant compromise in terms of mag capacity.

• Administrator
Agreed. NFA shotguns look neat, but they are a significant compromise in terms of mag capacity.

That wasn't really my angle, but it is a valid point.

Home invasions are increasingly involving perps wearing some form of soft body armor and can sometimes involve situations where a little more precision with your shooting is in order. I'd rather be using lighter, smaller, faster projectiles that I can direct with pinpoint accuracy.

As for the suppressor... shoot a shotgun off inside of an enclosed space sometime while not wearing ear protection. Or a handgun for that matter.

YLMV. :tinfoil:

I have a Remington 870P with 18" barrel and the magazine extension, so 6+1 capacity, though I keep the chamber empty. I don't see a reason to chop the barrel down further, but maybe you have a valid reason.

I also have a Glock 22, full-size, 15+1 .40 cal. I have a Streamlight TLR-3 which attaches to the Glock quite well. It wasn't horribly expensive (around $70-ish) and is a very bright light. If you want a pistol-mounted light I recommend it. It only uses a single CR2 battery, which makes it short enough that it doesn't extend past the front of the barrel on the full-sized Glocks.

So shotgun + high-capacity auto makes a good combo. I would have purchased the 21SF instead of the 22, but at the time I bought the 22, 45ACP was hard to find, and the only ammo in constant supply was the .40 S&W. Now that the ammo shortage appears to be over, the 21SF would be a good choice. You could also consider tritium night sights instead of (or in addition to) the gun-mounted flashlight. Depends on your budget.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

Not with a mag feed shotgun like a Saiga 12 :tinfoil:

That wasn't really my angle, but it is a valid point.

Home invasions are increasingly involving perps wearing some form of soft body armor and can sometimes involve situations where a little more precision with your shooting is in order. I'd rather be using lighter, smaller, faster projectiles that I can direct with pinpoint accuracy.

As for the suppressor... shoot a shotgun off inside of an enclosed space sometime while not wearing ear protection. Or a handgun for that matter.

YLMV. :tinfoil:

Very good points made here. I'm certain the suppressed AR is a far superior weapon against mutiple targets in body armor, however my budget won't allow that kind of project. I suppose in that situation the high capacity handgun would be my better option (of those available to me).

Guest Guy N. Cognito
Very good points made here. I'm certain the suppressed AR is a far superior weapon against mutiple targets in body armor, however my budget won't allow that kind of project. I suppose in that situation the high capacity handgun would be my better option (of those available to me).

Personally, I prefer the handgun for home defense, especially if you think you will need to clear rooms and move about. It can be manipulated one handed (in case you have to open doors or grab kids) and is much easier to control. With weapons mounted lights and lasers, you can deck them out for just about any role you choose. My personal HD handgun is a Glock 34 with a light and extended magazine. The shotgun stays in place and is used to defend static positions.

Guest tnxdshooter
I've recently been thinking about a new home defense gun. Currently I leave my carry gun, Glock 26, on the night stand along with my Surefire E2D LED for social work in the dark and do have a 20ga ready to go with buckshot.

But now I'm starting to think about either stepping up to a 12ga with the intent of someday going through the NFA process and cutting it down to a 14in with the surefire forend or getting a fullsize larger caliber pistol, like a Glock 21sf equipped with some sort of rail mounted light.

Opinions and suggestions? Thanks

I am like walt kowalski in that I keep a 1911 cocked locked and ready. Unfortunately I do not have an m1 garrand which I have always wanted. I would at least use the 45 to get to my home defense gun if I had a shot gun or something. If I ever buy a home defense gun it will probably be a 12 gauge with an 18 inch barrel. Although with a long gun if they are inside and you come around a corner they could grab the barrel of the gun before you can react to give em more holes to breath out of thus the reason I use the tried and true 1911.

Guest tnxdshooter
If I was going to use an NFA item for home defense, it would be a short barrel AR with a suppressor.

Why not go with a full auto tommy gun? Full auto 45 acp baby YEAH!

We had a similar discussion in a thread sometime back. My biggest concern with an AR is the effective range if a couple of those rounds make it out of the house. No doubt it would be effective on a thug.

• Administrator
We had a similar discussion in a thread sometime back. My biggest concern with an AR is the effective range if a couple of those rounds make it out of the house. No doubt it would be effective on a thug.

Not really an issue. The projectile will have bled off a ton of kinetic energy, if it's even still stable and traveling as a solitary unit, after passing through most common household construction materials. Besides, you're supposed to be keeping your rounds on target where they actually matter, not spraying and praying.

Guest bkelm18
Not really an issue. The projectile will have bled off a ton of kinetic energy, if it's even still stable and traveling as a solitary unit, after passing through most common household construction materials. Besides, you're supposed to be keeping your rounds on target where they actually matter, not spraying and praying.

Even the experts miss once in a while. I do agree the energy will be less once going through a wall, but I still doubt it will not at least seriously wound someone on the other side of that wall.

• Administrator
Even the experts miss once in a while. I do agree the energy will be less once going through a wall, but I still doubt it will not at least seriously wound someone on the other side of that wall.

What are they doing on the other side of the wall? Are we talking interior or exterior? Obviously if you can't ascertain where friendlies are, you need to modify your tactics and not go shooting through walls.

Again, YLMV.

Guest Guy N. Cognito

If we're talking interior walls, buckshot will penetrate pretty easily, too.

Personally, I prefer the handgun for home defense, especially if you think you will need to clear rooms and move about. It can be manipulated one handed (in case you have to open doors or grab kids) and is much easier to control. With weapons mounted lights and lasers, you can deck them out for just about any role you choose. My personal HD handgun is a Glock 34 with a light and extended magazine. The shotgun stays in place and is used to defend static positions.

I've been thinking about this comment in particular for the past few hours and this might be the way I should go (as much as I want a SBS). Reason I say that is, one night this week, my wife and I woke up to the shrill sound of our house alarm going off. Our home is small so the only keypad is in a central part of our house so leaving our bedroom is pretty much the only option other than letting the cops show up. After fumbling in the dark to find my glasses and my trusty Glock 26, I cleared the house. After a quick sweep I shut the alarm off and discovered the culprit...a faulty battery in a window sensor...false alarm.

Maybe for me, in our current home (small and close quarters), a handgun is the way to go. :)

• Administrator
What won't?

- OS

Harsh language?

Frankly, if a round isn't even capable of penetrating sheet rock, I don't want it in the gun I'm trying to use to protect my family. It's my job to keep the rounds on target and not pull the trigger until the sights are covering something I want to destroy and nothing else.

:shrug:

:shrug:

I've been thinking about this comment in particular for the past few hours and this might be the way I should go (as much as I want a SBS). Reason I say that is, one night this week, my wife and I woke up to the shrill sound of our house alarm going off. Our home is small so the only keypad is in a central part of our house so leaving our bedroom is pretty much the only option other than letting the cops show up. After fumbling in the dark to find my glasses and my trusty Glock 26, I cleared the house. After a quick sweep I shut the alarm off and discovered the culprit...a faulty battery in a window sensor...false alarm.

Maybe for me, in our current home (small and close quarters), a handgun is the way to go. :)

Get a dog and a better alarm - just kidding - don't want you thinking me a smart azz; but I do like dogs - obviously. And since I have a lot of dogs and they are noisy as heck when anyone gets near the house, it would be tough for bad guys - and several of the "long noses" bite. The dogs sleep inside with access to the interior, plus we are well lighted and also alarmed and of course armed.

Shotgun is court of last resort, as I agree with others if I wanted to use more than a handgun for multiple targets I thought are protected to some extent by armor, I would want a shortend high-caliber rifle.

My:2cents:

I figure if my edc will do the trick out of the house It'll definitely do the job on my turf

Handgun rounds suck at stopping people. They are weak and underpowered. We compromise carrying them due to convenience and size. If I'm at home I'm rocking a rifle when something is going down. If my rifle isn't near me when the **** goes down, the handgun on me will be used to fight my way to my rifle.

Mike

You said your budget will not allow an SBR ar project. If you are on a budget, I would find something better to spend my $200 tax stamp on than to cut four inches off a shotgun barrel. I guess I just completely fail to understand the logic in that. I understand wanting a short gun and all that good stuff, but if money is an issue, it seems like that money spend on a stamp is gaining diminishing returns worse than about any other tactical item for a HD weapon. I am definitely a fan of the suppressor idea for an inside gun.