Taurus Lifetime Warranty Questions

I have a Taurus PT-22 with broken grips, missing barrel release, swapped out safety with parts missing! Has anyone on here sent a handgun back to Taurus under their "Lifetime Warranty"? If so, here's some questions I have, before I send mine.

1. Does it have to be sent or received back through an FFL?

2. It sounds like there's going to be a minimum $35 fee... yes or no?

3. What was the turn around time on your gun?

4. I've heard they won't sell any parts to dealers or gunsmiths. Will they sell to the gun owner?

5. Was there a big hassle factor to it, or did it go pretty smooth?

Thanks for any input. Also, if you know anyone that might have these parts, I'd be interested. Many thanks.

Chuck in Murfreesboro.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Does it have to be sent or received back through an FFL?...

No, it's legal for you to send as individual to them for repair, and it's legal for them to send back to you.

I'm not a Taurus owner, but the web is rife with horror stories about turn around time, or multiple trips before made right -- the joke is, it's called a lifetime warranty because it takes a lifetime to get it done.

Then again, there are plenty of stories of pretty smooth sailing, too.

- OS

I had to send a Taurus Judge back. I simply called them up and they arranged for FedEx to pick it up at my door and also delivered it the same. Mine was about 2 weeks door to door. I had no problems whatsoever. :D

Edited by bockey
more info

Thanks for the information guys. I bought this one used, with broken (grips), missing (barrel release and safety spring and spring holder) from an individual, and have no idea how old it is. I've scanned lots of forums, and have had some say they were sent parts, no questions asked, but the date on most of the posts were pretty old. I feel confident I could replace the parts, but was afraid they might not supply , or even sell them to me. If anyone has been able to get any parts, other than grips, sent to them by Taurus lately, I'd sure like to know how you accomplished it. Thanks.

Guest GunTroll

Have you tried other sources? Numnuts, Brownell's, Midway, Jack First, etc. Have you called Taurus and asked them for the parts? Are you hearing you can't get these sort of parts directly from the horses mouth? Get a parts diagram/schematic and get the item/part numbers for the parts you need and call them up. Then all your questions should be answered right there and you'll know what you need to do :P . I simple called them up and ordered what I needed for a model 85. I can't remember what parts exactly for I've slept since then. I also can't remember if I had to prove and dealer/gunsmith documents. I doubt it though.

Get the part(s) numbers and see if a local smith and order them for you if you encounter a roadblock. I found them to be pleasant to deal with FWIW.

GunTroll, good advice. I have talked with them a while ago on another PT-22 I own, and was told they would trade "part for part". When I call, I'll ask about the missing parts. Thanks again. I may be better off to just send them the whole gun. Decisions _ Decisions.

Guest tnxdshooter
I have a Taurus PT-22 with broken grips, missing barrel release, swapped out safety with parts missing! Has anyone on here sent a handgun back to Taurus under their "Lifetime Warranty"? If so, here's some questions I have, before I send mine.

1. Does it have to be sent or received back through an FFL?

2. It sounds like there's going to be a minimum $35 fee... yes or no?

3. What was the turn around time on your gun?

4. I've heard they won't sell any parts to dealers or gunsmiths. Will they sell to the gun owner?

5. Was there a big hassle factor to it, or did it go pretty smooth?

Thanks for any input. Also, if you know anyone that might have these parts, I'd be interested. Many thanks.

Chuck in Murfreesboro.

1. no and no

2. Not that I have ever heard of.

3. The one I sent in for my brother was 3 weeks

4. NO, no, and no again

5. No hassle factor just sent them the gun insured via fedex and they sent it back to me when finished.

I think I had to pay for shipping though I cant remember as it was a couple years ago.

OK guys, Here's the latest on sending my Taurus PT-22 back for repairs. I sent it UPS last night around 6 PM, and it got there a little after 10AM today. With handguns, you ARE required to send it next day air... $48.15 with UPS last night. This was broken down as $40.50 for shipping, $3.60 for insurance, and $4.05 for fuel surcharge. As soon as I get the gun back, I'll give a report on the things I was concerned about. This may help someone else decide if they want to send theirs in for needed repairs.