CZ 452 Lux - Just Got Mine!

StPatrick

I'll begin with a story, and try to keep it short:

I've never been a rifle shooter, since I don't hunt - not that I'm not interested in the idea, but my gun money and trigger time have been dedicated to pistols to this point. This has recently changed...I can't remember why I got the idea, but at some point I decided that, much like being able to change a tire, tie a tie, start a fire, etc., there are some things every man should be able to do, and I realized that one of those things should be the ability to load, fire accurately, and break down / clean a rifle.

How to proceed, then? For simplicity's sake, I decided that the best way to learn would be a .22 bolt action with open sights (it's kind of funny - Mike's post in this thread explained where my head was at better than I could, and if it had been posted a month or two earlier, I'd credit him for why I've done what I've done - as it is, he certainly gets credit for suggesting the 452). Looking around the rimfire forums, the CZ 452 Lux became my front-runner, and I ordered one online. I picked it up at the Saddle Shop yesterday (big ups to Mike Patterson for $20 transer + $10 TICS).

For those who haven't seen one, they look like this: CZ45202001lg.jpg

To this point, I'd say 99% of all the rifle shots I'd taken had been via 10/22, and I wasn't very good. I'd be a viable defender against hordes of milk-jugs and paper plates at 15 yards, but that's about it. Imagine my surprise when the first 5 rounds downrange (25 yards, front elbow on bench at CHMR / Owl Hollow earlier today) looked like this:

1f1a6533.jpg

That's 1.5" from the lower flyer to the farthest center I could find, cold bore, factory zero, with a n00b behind the trigger...and what a trigger - there's just enough pre-travel to "settle in" on your shot, and the break is light and crisp. I probably ran ~300 Federal bulk (plated HV HP) through it today, and I got to know this little rifle well very quickly. After shooting supported and offhand for awhile at 25 yards, I decided to play "what if", and moved down the line to where someone had left several clay pigeons on the 50 yard berm. I moved the leaf sight to the 50 meter setting (it is ranged from 25 - 200m in 25m increments), got into a good supported position, and made 5 disappear with 5 shots [insert big stupid grin]. It took 5 more to take one offhand, but hey - this is still akin to giving Bob Dylan a new guitar, and instead of strumming chords, he's suddenly flatpicking like Lester Flatt.

I eventually got around to setting up some targets at 50 yards, and even offhand, I ended up with more in the black than out, and only missed paper twice out of 50...and then only barely.

It's still early in the game, so I'm not going to run around telling everyone it's the greatest rifle ever or anything (I've certainly read and learned quite a bit about basic marksmanship on TGO and elsewhere since I last spent any time with a rifle), but so far I feel that it's been money well spent, e.g. it may not be the only reason I shot better than I ever have, but it's certainly a big part of the equation.

If you're in the market for a .22 and you'd like to shoot mine (Mid-TN), let me know. I'd like to see how someone else does with it.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't know how bad I have it...before the CZ had arrived, I had already bought a Finnish Mosin from another member here. Mostly because I love history, and it's a very interesting gun, but still - if the .22 didn't scratch the itch, I'm pretty darned sure 7.62x54r would.

Congrats on the 452, and nice shooting! I've got the 452 Trainer in .22 LR (same as yours, but has a slightly shorter barrel & beechwood stock instead of walnut). It's a hoot. I got it as a way of easing back into shooting after being away from it for 15-20 years. Some of my favorite memories are of Boy Scout summer camp days spent on the rifle range shooting single-shot .22 rifles with iron sights.

So far I've gotten 3/4" to 1 1/4" groups at 25 yards from a seated position with the rifle laying on my backpack. Same ammo, federal wally world bulk. I just put my buddy's $10 4x scope on it. I'm interested to see how my groups will change.

Try different ammo. I tried a half dozen brands in my 452 before I settled on CCI Green Tag. It makes a dramatic difference in group size. I ended up scoping it, and could reliably hit a quarter sized spot at a hundred yards.

They don't come much nicer; you've got yourself a fine rifle.

You may want to try any of these 3 easy to it yourself additions:

Yodave trigger kit and you may want to try:

Yodave Products - Home

A peep sight that fits in the same slot that the notch rear sight now resides:

https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/product_info.php?cPath=10&products_id=148&osCsid=fwquijrmd

Or some very nice "AR-style" sights:

CZ452® Rifle - adjustable aperture sights

CZ452ULTechSights.jpg

You may want to try any of these 3 easy to it yourself additions:

Yodave trigger kit and you may want to try:

Yodave Products - Home

A peep sight that fits in the same slot that the notch rear sight now resides:

https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/product_info.php?cPath=10&products_id=148&osCsid=fwquijrmd

Or some very nice "AR-style" sights:

CZ452® Rifle - adjustable aperture sights

CZ452ULTechSights.jpg

I looked into the Yodave trigger kit, but my trigger was so good out of the box that there's no need for it.

Regarding sights, once I've gotten to the point where the irons are limiting my ability to hit far / small, I'll scope the rifle.

If you look at the pics here I think you will see how easy they are to change on your rifle: CZ452® Rifle - adjustable aperture sights If you want to see more about how they work go here and do a search for Tech Sights: CZ / Brno - RimfireCentral.com Forums

I tried several scopes on the UL, although they worked, they didn't look right and I had other scoped .22s. The Techs worked nicely placing the aperture closer to my eye rather than forward peep like with the J &P that slides in the stock rear sight. I tried those too. At 50 yards with good ammo the UL with the Techs would shoot well. I traded it to a friend who lives in Nebraska, now he has a pair.