Jerky Seasoning??

I just made my first batch of deer jerky ever. It turned out okay but didn't have that flavor I remember when eating it growing up. I used seasoning salt, salt and pepper on half of the batch and added worcestershire sauce to the other half. I liked it without w. sauce better as it was too salty. Any tips or recipes to try? I plan on using half dales and half liquid smoke on the next batch.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I make jerky from ground venison. I use THe Jerky Shooter. It is just a caulk gun with wide flat tips to make the jerky strips. I use LEMs Backwoods Original seasoning. The instructions say to use one packet for 4lbs but I use it with 3 lbs. Stronger flavor. It is makes real good jerky.

I use High Mountain too. I mix the Hickory and Sweet and Spicy mixed half/half and follow the enclosed instructions. I have also used High Country jerky seasoning, but I didn't like the flavor I bought as well. I got the Campfire Snack Sticks flavor and used the jerky shooter gun to make some caseless snack sticks. They were good, just not as good as the High Mountain. I also usually add a little extra salt, black pepper and red pepper.

I have never had good results adding Worcestershire sauce or Dales. It always ends up too salty for me.

I have a package of the LEM that came with my gun, but I haven't tried it yet. I have heard good things about it though.

The greatest thing about buying these jerky seasonings packages is that they come with "cure" that helps preserve the meat allowing you to not have to over dry the meat and make it too tough to eat.

Just think of something you like and try it. A friend of mine has tried just about everything. Some of those he does not use again. Others he does. Sometimes

he uses chili or taco and has used many others that I can't think of. Some of them are really good.

Take 2 venison roasts. (2-2 1/2 lbs.ea).

Using a meat slicer cut it into slabs 3/16 thick. If meat is slightly frozen it makes it easy to slice.

Using a 4 quart tupperware bowl add the following:

4 - cups of soy sauce

2 - cups brown sugar

1 - table spoon of ground black pepper

2- Table spoons of crushed red pepper

1 - tea spoon of sea salt

Mix ingredients in bowl.

Add meat, cover and put in fridge for 24 hours.

Mix meat about every 6 hours so all pieces absorb mixture.

Next day, take meat from bowl, rinse off mixture, trim off any fat or silver skin.

Put on dehydrator with lowest heat.

Takes about 8 hours. Turn meat at about 4 hours so meat won't stick to trays.

(You can use "PAM")

Meat is done when you can bend the pieces

and they feel dry. Let cool and either put it in a zip-lock bag or vacuum seal.

Take 2 venison roasts. (2-2 1/2 lbs.ea).

Using a meat slicer cut it into slabs 3/16 thick. If meat is slightly frozen it makes it easy to slice.

Using a 4 quart tupperware bowl add the following:

4 - cups of soy sauce

2 - cups brown sugar

1 - table spoon of ground black pepper

2- Table spoons of crushed red pepper

1 - tea spoon of sea salt

Mix ingredients in bowl.

Add meat, cover and put in fridge for 24 hours.

Mix meat about every 6 hours so all pieces absorb mixture.

Next day, take meat from bowl, rinse off mixture, trim off any fat or silver skin.

Put on dehydrator with lowest heat.

Takes about 8 hours. Turn meat at about 4 hours so meat won't stick to trays.

(You can use "PAM")

Meat is done when you can bend the pieces

and they feel dry. Let cool and either put it in a zip-lock bag or vacuum seal.

That sounds about right. I used to make jerky very similar to this before I started using the Hi Mountain Jerky Cure and it always come out pretty good with whole muscle meat.