1911 help

Ebow1

2 things.

1. I've got a mispec 1911A1. I've got a 10 round magazine for it. When I load a full 10 rounds, insert the magazine, and cock the gun the first round jams halfway out of the magazine and doesn't even make it into the chamber. When I only have 8 rounds in the magazine it feeds into the chamber just fine. I've thoroughly cleaned and lubed and fixed up the spring and that helped a little bit, but hasn't solved the problem. I think the problem is the retaining lips on the magazine. I'm betting they need to be bent back just a little bit. I have a buddy who thinks the problem is the feed ramp on the gun itself, but I don't think that's it simply because when I try and thumb the rounds out of the mag I have the same problem, I had to use a flathead to fling out the first two rounds of a full mag. I'd like to get some advice and try and find out for certain what the problem is before I start fiddling with stuff.

2. I need 2 7 round milspec 1911 magazines if anybody has any they wouldn't mind selling.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same problem with an 8 round mag I have for my Springfield. I just started loading it with 7 rounds and keep it just as a spare. Cheaper than dirt has a wide selection of 1911 mags if you need a few. They have pretty decent prices on the also.

Yeah, I know the mags won't be a problem to find, I just want to find 'em here so I can get them in person and not have all the shipping anxiety I aways get. I'd thought about just partially loading it, but since it's so much bulkier then my other mags I'd really like to fix it and get the full 10 in there.

If subsequent rounds feed OK then it's probably not an issue with the feed lip dimensions. Is the 10-round magazine relatively new? If so, the spring tension is applying too much pressure on the 10th round, and the recoil spring cannot overcome the resulting friction. I have had similar issues with my 10-round mags (Wilson Combat ETM 9mm).

There are two fixes. The simpler fix is to leave the mag loaded overnight, unload in the morning, repeat for a week or so, and see how it performs. The less simple and more permanent fix is to remove coils from the mag spring. On my Wilson ETM mags cutting off a coil has the added advantage that it makes a full mag easier to seat. If you cut off too much of the mag spring then the last round in the mag may not load reliably because there is not enough tension left, so go slow.

Both of these will reduce the pressure the spring puts on the 10th round, which will give the recoil spring a better chance of stripping the round from the mag.

How does the 10 rd mag function if you already have a chambered round and insert it? There may be a difference in the slide's speed when you release it and when the pistol is being fired.

I second the suggestion of Chip McCormick or Wilson mags. There a lot of cheaply made magazines marked "Colt 45", some even in military-style packing, that simply aren't worth the trouble. You're better off paying more for magazines of known quality that will work in your pistol.

I wouldn't recommend cutting the magazine springs to reduce pressure. The springs will loose tension with use anyway. Cutting the spring will speed up the process. Better to load 9 until the magazine spring allows you t fully load it.

I haven't fired anything out of the ten round mag yet. As far as its origins, a buddy of mine dug up an old bag filled with 1911 mags while rebuilding his basement after the flooding and I was able to get one from him.