Taxiderm, Squirrel

Guest bigbovine

Guest bigbovine

After taking squirrel the other day, one of the boys asked about having feet done like rabbits feet. So having never had experience with such, I cut off the feet, tail, and hide and put them in a ziploc in the freezer till I could find out. Who in the area can tan cure, or whatever you might call it. I assume a taxidermist is the way to go. I would like to have the feet done like they make rabbits feet on a chain, and maybe "fix" the tail were we can keep it without rotting.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bigbovine

Until this one I never thought of it. It was a big Fox squirrel. Real pretty, would have made a great specimen for a mount, I just never think of it that way. My wifes grandfather had one of a Fox squirrel, and it was a little bigger than the one I got. Maybe I will try and skin em right next time if it is a worthy specimen, otherwise I just like to make quick work of it for the meat.

Shoot them with a shotgun. .22's are ok if not a head shot. .17 HMR is OUT OF THE QUESTION for a squirrell mount. To preserve the feet, cut them off at the desired length and sprinkle 20 mule team borax on the raw flesh. Position them in the final position you want them in and allow them to dry. Tandy Leather Company used to sell "rabbit foot" foot fittings, but they most likely wouldn't work on a squirrel foot. If your handy with shop tools, a centerfire rifle cartridge, trimmed to length, polished and added to a key chain works well. Squirrel tails are done the same as the feet for preservation. I hope this helps you out!

Guest bigbovine

I didn't think about the attachment at the foot, great idea. I'm thinking maybe .380 brass probably just right. As far as the "20 mule team borax", where do I get it. I live up in your area. I don't care to buy online unless it is absolutely necessary. As far as the current state of the feet and tail, they are frozen, I take it that was ok to do and I just need to thaw first. What to do with the skin, I may just toss it. I saved what I could because the boys wanted it. I do head shots(.22LR) to save for meat and I do not have a shotgun. Where would you recomend I place the shot if I think I might want to mount the thing? Thanks.

Guest bigbovine

Hey Gun Troll. Not to Highjack my own thread, but how long you been in Springfield. Another question, whatever happened to the little gun store down from the courthouse? I was at the parade the other day and it looked like it was shut down.

Guest bigbovine

Yup, and a commercial back in her days about it. It played during a show that ole Pres Ronald hosted. I'll try to get out to the store this weekend for that borax.

WD, you was saying some wierd things people would want mounted. I saw something in a taxidermy shop once that blowed my mind(whats left of it). It was a Game rooster. Mounted with comb cut off like a fighting rooster. I wondered if somebody's prize rooster got killed in a fight or what the _ _ _ _ happened. Wierd.

Jamie, I remember seeing a interview with Roy years ago and he said that people would come into the museum and kinda freak out seeing Trigger. He said that he had him so long that he couldn't see putting him in the ground. He thought he would have him mounted so that he could see him and fans could. Oh well, different strokes for different folks.