"Oh my, he has a GUN! Call the Cops!"

Guest foister82

Guest foister82

At my place of business, i occasionally visit other like businesses to compare strategies and get a feel for how they are operating... Yesterday, i was in a loan office asking how their accounts work and their rates etc, when a man walked by on the sidewalk. He was on his cell phone, and stood outside the glass storefront for about 5 minutes. I noticed he was Open Carrying, and was in mid sentence making a comment about exercising your rights when the girl helping me turned around to the other employees and said "Oh my, he has a GUN!!! Call the Cops!!"

Our conversation then turned to the 2nd amendment, that it was his right to carry if he had a permit. These people had no idea what i was talking about. The one girl even said that she read Obama "made it illegal to have a gun outside of your home."

A man came out of the back office on the phone with 911, saying that there was a man outside with a gun and asked what to do. The 911 dispatcher advised him to lock the door until an officer arrived, but the man had already walked off down the sidewalk. I asked a sheriff deputy relative of mine about the 911 employees experience with the actual laws... All he could say is that theyre trained to take a call and provide a location to a deputy, and that's it!

This is why we have the biggest problem with our rights and freedoms! Half of the populous doesn't even know the actual laws... All we were fed growing up in public schools is that guns are bad, guns kill people, and we should be subservient to the government.

/rant

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why we have the biggest problem with our rights and freedoms! Half of the populous doesn't even know the actual laws... All we were fed growing up in public schools is that guns are bad, guns kill people, and we should be subservient to the government.

/rant

That is a very large part of it.....

I asked a sheriff deputy relative of mine about the 911 employees experience with the actual laws... All he could say is that theyre trained to take a call and provide a location to a deputy, and that's it!

And that’s how it should be. Trust me, you don’t want dispatchers deciding if you really need help or not. If there is nothing to it; the Officers will determine that when they get there.

Most people don’t know the motor vehicle laws, and they all drive them. What makes anyone think they would know gun laws when they don’t have any?

I carry concealed. Mainly for security and tactical reasons, but also because I don’t want to deal with the drama. If I decided to open carry I would expect that at some time I would be stopped.

Yep...when I dispatched all I did was pass the buck really. I did ask questions to try and get all the info I could to pass on to the responders. Like on this type of call I would ask what the person was doing etc....

Besides the law I think part of this goes back to what I said in another thread about the perception of guns in the current culture. That most don't need to see anyone doing something wrong/strange and have a weapon, that simply having one itself is enough to cast doubt on the person's intentions.

Guest Sgt. Joe

I also use to dispatch and there is no way a dispatcher can simply chose to ignore any call of this type. As Fallguy said it does help tremendously to get all the information that is possible before making the dispatch.

It does not work the same way now but back when I was doing doing it, I was the person who took to the initial call and made the radio communication to the officers on the road. These days if I am not mistaken that involves several different people, the actual facts about what the person is doing with the weapon are even more crucial these days as it must be passed from one person to another before the dispatch is made.

I also always CC and while a MWAG call is down on the list of "why" it is still there.

What really makes me sick about this story is the comment that the person thought BO had made guns illegal:screwy:.....and they walk among us.:)

If one looks hard enough, he could probably find some who believe Obama walks on water, too.

That's the deal with the information/misinformation flow today. There's no rule that says you have to state the truth, or even use any real facts. Choose what you want to believe... there's something on the internet that will back it up.

Its liberal people like this that make me sick to my stomach..... it would be different if he had it in his hand with the finger on the trigger or something.... :) People wonder why there are so many criminals out there... they have almost free reign on people like this :D Come and mess with my family... someone will be eating some Hornady Critical Defenses!!

Its liberal people like this that make me sick to my stomach..... it would be different if he had it in his hand with the finger on the trigger or something.... :) People wonder why there are so many criminals out there... they have almost free reign on people like this :D Come and mess with my family... someone will be eating some Hornady Critical Defenses!!

Freaking out over a gun isn't exclusively liberal. The open carry thing always seems to go the same way. Somebody freaks out, and then the gun buster signs go up.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
9 times out of 10 is a flaming arrow liberal... just saying

Hardly. You'd be surprised how many bible-thumping, right wing conservatives are completely clueless about and scared of guns. It's especially prevalent in urban areas.

• Administrator
You see a man in front of your business.....not in uniform.....with a gun on his side.....talking on a cell phone....you have to expect trouble!! It happens on TV allllllllll the time! :(

Jack Bauer would get arrested at least several times a week if he ran around Johnson City, it appears. :D

But back to reality, this is why I don't advocate open carry the same way I don't advocate running around with your zipper down and your tally-whacker hanging out the front of your pants. Both of these things will probably get the police called on you, even though only one of them is truly illegal.

Guest 73challenger
Well, how many times have you heard someone say "I just don't understand why ANYONE would want to carry a gun!"? These are the ones who think that guns = death.

Haha I hear this SO much. I also love it when I am showing a picture of my AR to a friend and someone goes "Why do you need that??". My typical response is to shoot zombies.

Edited by 73challenger
...had the wrong quote.
Haha I hear this SO much. I also love it when I am showing a picture of my AR to a friend and someone goes "Why do you need that??". My typical response is to shoot zombies.

Haha my neighbors asked me one time isn't that illegal to own that gun? People are clueless about gun laws.

Guest bnoland

You know the scary thing is some OFFICERS don't know the law! Some of my co-workers tried to lock up a guy for open carry. They said "if we have to conseal, I know they!" What they failed to understand is that our department policy requires us to conseal our weapons, not state law. I was a rookie at the time so they didn't want to listen to me. I told the guy he could go and they were pissed at me till almost the whole shift backed my information and told the ones who did not know to look it up.

You know the scary thing is some OFFICERS don't know the law! Some of my co-workers tried to lock up a guy for open carry. They said "if we have to conseal, I know they!" What they failed to understand is that our department policy requires us to conseal our weapons, not state law. I was a rookie at the time so they didn't want to listen to me. I told the guy he could go and they were pissed at me till almost the whole shift backed my information and told the ones who did not know to look it up.

Remember this?

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/2nd-amendment-issues/2290-knoxville-pd-apologizes-open-carry-incident-wal-mart.html

....The one girl even said that she read Obama "made it illegal to have a gun outside of your home."....

/rant

LOL, I'd have lost it right then.:( As others have stated, you can't blame the Dispatcher or police as all they hear is "Man with a gun". What would have been even funnier if you'd have said something like, "Don't worry ma'am, I'm leagally carrying as well and I will be sure shoot back if he comes in and shoots up the place".

Guest IceBreakerG

This would be a good example of why I always carry concealed. It's just less hassle. Plus I don't want extra attention brought to me by some idiot freaking out over me carrying. I can already picture it now: "There's a black guy in here with a gun!" The place would be surrounded by the time I walked out :(