Hickory Hollow Mall Question

First let me say that I avoid HH but I made the decision a couple of weeks ago to go there to make a purchase. It seems that as I'm getting older I needed new glasses. My insurance coverage was the reason that I went to this one store. I could have paid full price for a pair at another store that allowed me to carry which would have been between $200 and $300 or go there and get a new pair for $40. In my current financial situation I really needed to go there so off I went.

I knew the mall was unfriendly to HCP holders and was posted so I was expecting to just lock up my gun which was then locked in my car. As I drove into their property from one of the back entrances and passed one of their signs a Ghost Busters emblem caught my eye. This was about 2pm on a sunny day. I stopped and sure enough it was a "No Guns" Ghost Busters" sign along with what would be a legally worded sign. I still locked my gun up and went in to order a pair of glasses. I didn't give anyone any reason to think that I had a gun and there were no issues. I don't want to risk having my HCP revoked/suspended and I figured that if I didn't cause any problems that they would not have the right to search my car.

Today I went to pick up my glasses. It was 5:30 and raining and there would be no way to read that sign in this type of weather. It was not lit up. I knew what it said because I had looked before and I went in just as I had done before, finished my business and left.

My question is if someone who had not been there before went in with these weather conditions after dark and was, somehow, caught with a gun in their car do you think that they could make a winable case for HH not making their signs visible enough?

I expect that to be my last trip to HH Mall.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is if someone who had not been there before went in with these weather conditions after dark and was, somehow, caught with a gun in their car do you think that they could make a winable case for HH not making their signs visible enough?...

Who knows.

There are no test cases known to the collective knowledge of this forum.

I guarantee that two lawyers could have totally opposite opinions on the matter also.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest kirkosaurus

I've carried there several times and must have missed those signs as I've never noticed them. I always go in the Sears or other store entrance where there is no posting.

I went to Cool Springs mall tonight and went through the Macy's entrance.

If I ever saw any postings I would definitely not go in. Malls (especially HH) are the worst places to go unarmed. If I can't carry I'm just not going in.

Edited by kirkosaurus
I've carried there several times and must have missed those signs as I've never noticed them. I always go in the Sears or other store entrance where there is no posting. ...

I think he's saying signs are in the parking lot, but could be wrong, not real clear.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest kirkosaurus
I think he's saying signs are in the parking lot, but could be wrong, not real clear.

- OS

Yes, that's how I understood it when I responded. I said I had missed those signs then added I have not seen any postings at the dept. stores either, where I always enter. Sorry for the confusion.

I wouldn't go to Hickory Hollow Mall without a gun. Major, major, major area for crimes of opportunity.

I think my situational awareness regarding threats is so high that I tend not to read every little sign in the world; I guess I should work on that.

- OS

Unless they have recently changed, Cool Springs mall is posted at the entrances to their parking lot. Its a rather small sign with both the gun busters and the legal verbage. There is no way you could read it passing by in a car unless you really stopped to look - I did one day just to be sure if it was posted or not.

Unless they have recently changed, Cool Springs mall is posted at the entrances to their parking lot. Its a rather small sign with both the gun busters and the legal verbage. There is no way you could read it passing by in a car unless you really stopped to look - I did one day just to be sure if it was posted or not.

Those are probably the same ones they have at HH. The gunbusters emblem can't be more than 2 or 3 inches with legal wording. They were probably 100ft down the driveway into the mall parking area. With the rain and being after dark there would be no way anyone would notice those signs.

Sometimes I'm not sure how they can ask us to adhere to various signs that don't have to be posted in specific places. It's hard to know where I can and cannot go, am I the only one that thinks signage should be uniform?

Haven't been to HH in years, and i have no plans on going back ever( if they removed the signs and the wannabe gangs and brought back some more business, then maybe, i might consider it).

I usually go to Cool springs( now i have to remember i can't go armed) oops looks like i broke the law, but i have to agree i didn't see any signs telling me i could not carry, now i'll have to remember to look very carefully for signage in the parking lots. I agree they need more signage for those who don't have the time to hunt for a "prohibited" sign in the parking lot, when we are busy having to watch out for these mall idiots thinking they own the parking lot. Christmas time it seems is the worst.

Guess it will be Huntsville area malls for me( no gun-busters i have seen yet)and online shopping for time being.

Those are probably the same ones they have at HH. The gunbusters emblem can't be more than 2 or 3 inches with legal wording. They were probably 100ft down the driveway into the mall parking area. With the rain and being after dark there would be no way anyone would notice those signs.

I'm pretty sure it's posted on a publicly paid for road, not at the entrances to the parking lot...

Since when can a private business post a public road?

Guest DanE479
I wouldn't go to Hickory Hollow Mall without a gun. Major, major, major area for crimes of opportunity.

If you wouldn't go there without a gun, don't GO there with a gun...