Gun For Turkey Shoot

Justbo1901

I went to my first Turkey Shoot Yesterday (first I could remember I went as a child.) anyway I of course Loved it. I am now hooked, I don't have a lot of experience with shotguns, I have mostly shot and owned handguns. I am now looking for a good 12g Shotgun to buy manly for the turkey shoots. What are some good ones/prices ?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest buttonhook

any 12 gauge with interchangeable chokes will work fine. Remington 870 will be great. moss. 500 also get at least a full choke. if you want cheap you could find a single shot but for just alittle more you can find a good used pump gun and you can use it for hunting and parts will be easy to find. some shoots limit chokes some dont. so if they dont a really tight turkey choke will fill the target with shot.

I went to a turkey shot last sat. and won twice with my verona and a full choke as long as it patterns good and you can hit the target you have a chance with a shotgun there's still a lott of luck involved, a pellet here a pellet there can make the difference between winning or not you just have to give yourself the best chance by putting as many pellets on the target as possible

Edited by buttonhook

I was going to go to participate in my first ever turkey shoot this year. The Police and Fire Departments in my town were holding shoots three Saturdays in a row and I dropped by the first to get more info. When I saw that some of those guys had shotguns that were as long as (or longer than) I am tall - and I am 5' 11" - with what looked to be specialty, screw in chokes that were a couple of inches long and some of them had scopes on their guns, I decided, "Forget it." I just wanted to do some fun shooting with one of my old single-shots and have a chance at winning. The 'goal' for this, particular turkey shoot was to hit closest to a small dot that was in the center of the target. Figuring I had no chance and that it would basically come down to those three or four guys competing against each other took all the potential fun out of it for me. I've heard that some places in the area don't allow such 'race guns' in their turkey shoots. If I could find one of those, I'd love to give it a try.

Edited by JAB
I was going to go to participate in my first ever turkey shoot this year. The Police and Fire Departments in my town were holding shoots three Saturdays in a row and I dropped by the first to get more info. When I saw that some of those guys had shotguns that were as long as (or longer than) I am tall - and I am 5' 11" - with what looked to be specialty, screw in chokes that were a couple of inches long and some of them had scopes on their guns, I decided, "Forget it." I just wanted to do some fun shooting with one of my old single-shots and have a chance at winning. The 'goal' for this, particular turkey shoot was to hit closest to a small dot that was in the center of the target. Figuring I had no chance and that it would basically come down to those three or four guys competing against each other took all the potential fun out of it for me. I've heard that some places in the area don't allow such 'race guns' in their turkey shoots. If I could find one of those, I'd love to give it a try.

Those guns you are talking about are called outlaw guns. They probably all have sleeves in them as well as have had chamber work done to them. There are both kinds of shoots around where I live. At a stock gun shoot the people puttting in on run a guage down the barrel of everyones to make sure a sleeve hasnt been put in. This keeps it a little more fair.

I bought a shotgun several years ago strictly for turkey shoots after going to my first one. Only go to one every year and it's just good people down in the Maryville area having a good time. It's an NEF Pardner Pump ($200 at most reasonable places). Picked up a fill choke tube and that's about all it's used for.

There is an 18 lb country ham in the fridge right now. :D

Guest GunTroll

If going stock, go with something classy like a Win 37. I know some old timers who swear buy them for turkey shoots. I don't know about prices on them but I'm sure a quick gunbroker search will tell you. Come in all popular gauges. I've been looking for one for my youngster in 20. I think it was the best single shot/ shotgun for its day.

If you want fancy and new....I got nothing for you. I'm more into older shotguns than new ones.