is there a app for that?

Bubbas

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. But all LE are required to run the numbers if you ask. Be warned though, if it does come back stolen it's their's. I just had one run the other day. Don't cost nothing and the LE said "if it's stolen I must keep it". I told him if it was stolen I didn't want it any way.

Now the key is they must (or are supposed to) have the gun in their grubby hands before running it.

I wonder if this is something we can get the legislature to work on this year? Is there any reason why we CAN'T get it set up so that the stolen gun database or at least a limited portion of it, can be accessed by the public on the internet? We don't need all the details, just whether or not the gun had been reported stolen or not. I woulkd think that this would actually help LE in that it might help slow down the flow of stolen guns for resale.

Problem I see is right now a stolen gun WILL be recovered because LE are the ones running it.

If we put it in the hands of everyday people there are some out there who would just keep it hidden. Not saying everyone but there are people out there that would not turn the gun in that they just bought or that wouldn't get involved if they did find out a gun is stolen.

People tend to "look away" rather than get involved anymore. I was in Walmart the other day as the paramedics were responding to a person who had fallen. Turns out the person who fell decided to climb up the shelves and when he slipped and fell he was hurt. He looked as though he was already posturing for the upcoming law suit. The management spoke to several witness who said they say the man climbing the shelves but the problem was none of the witnesses wanted to get involved. Had I witnessed it I would have gladly been a witness as to what happened, not for or against anybody but just a witness to say what happened.

Dolomite

I have a friend (actually a former friend) that sales a lot of stolen guns, & it pisses me off. He regularly sells locally and sometimes even calls to see if I am interested in a "hot piece". I won't have anything to do with him because of it now & I won't buy one. I can't go to our local police because they are related to him & probably know it's going on. I'm not sure what to do, because I hate to be a snitch (or shot), but someone worked very hard to buy an expensive rifle or pistol that he sells off for next to nothing and then just steals more.

Nope. But all LE are required to run the numbers if you ask. Be warned though, if it does come back stolen it's their's. I just had one run the other day. Don't cost nothing and the LE said "if it's stolen I must keep it". I told him if it was stolen I didn't want it any way.

All LE will not run a stolen firearm check! Our local police will not run numbers unless you are willing to open an investigation and pay for the paperwork out of your own pocket. I was going to buy from a local seller and called to ask about getting the number checked & was told that they could not, unless criminal activity was suspected, I brought in the gun, and was willing to pay for the paperwork fee! I finally went to a local pawn shop and paid the $10 fee to get them to do a check for me. By the way, the gun was ok.

Guest bkelm18
I have a friend (actually a former friend) that sales a lot of stolen guns, & it pisses me off. He regularly sells locally and sometimes even calls to see if I am interested in a "hot piece". I won't have anything to do with him because of it now & I won't buy one. I can't go to our local police because they are related to him & probably know it's going on. I'm not sure what to do, because I hate to be a snitch (or shot), but someone worked very hard to buy an expensive rifle or pistol that he sells off for next to nothing and then just steals more.

Very simple remedy to that. Contact the FBI or BATFE. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to look into it.

All LE will not run a stolen firearm check! Our local police will not run numbers unless you are willing to open an investigation and pay for the paperwork out of your own pocket. I was going to buy from a local seller and called to ask about getting the number checked & was told that they could not, unless criminal activity was suspected, I brought in the gun, and was willing to pay for the paperwork fee! I finally went to a local pawn shop and paid the $10 fee to get them to do a check for me. By the way, the gun was ok.

Well that's wrong. My local office told me they were REQUIRED to run one if asked. It's their job to get back stolen property (they sure can't stop it from being stolen), sounds like you need a new LE department. LOl

Some jurisdictions have no clue what they are required to do or are just too lazy to do it. My county clerk has no clue what the law is and she determines what gets to the DA. I went up there to files criminal charges for threats after my brother said he was going to kill me, this is after he had already tried twice. Clerk said that my brother didn't break any criminal laws by making "open air" threats as she called them. She went on to say his threats were a civil matter and to sue him for liable. I did a WTF and after a few more words I just walked out. My brother brings up his mental status every time he gets arrested and they send him for a mental evaluation in lieu of any criminal charges.

As far as running firearms my jusrisdiction will run the numbers but only if they have the gun in hand. The reason is if it comes back stolen through the NCIC they have to have access to it. Personally I do not trust them because of how they have acted in the past. Even today unless it is something really serious I would rather not call LE and bring them into my life. This is coming from a long time LE who has, or at least had, friends in my county.

Dolomite

I have had police friends run checks for me without a problem. None have came back as stolen. If it was, I'd simply tell them...that I was in the market to buy....but wanted it checked out first. I "donated" a very nice Colt Mustang Plus II several years ago to some "inner-city" kids.....via my "stolen Blazer. Wish I had that gun back.

Some jurisdictions have no clue what they are required to do or are just too lazy to do it. My county clerk has no clue what the law is and she determines what gets to the DA. I went up there to files criminal charges for threats after my brother said he was going to kill me, this is after he had already tried twice. Clerk said that my brother didn't break any criminal laws by making "open air" threats as she called them. She went on to say his threats were a civil matter and to sue him for liable. I did a WTF and after a few more words I just walked out. My brother brings up his mental status every time he gets arrested and they send him for a mental evaluation in lieu of any criminal charges.

Sounds like that is more and more common. My mother-in-laws, ex husband threatened to kill her, then himself right in front of the police one night several years back. The police later told us that her ex could make a vebal threat, but they could not interfear until he actual tried to act on it. All they did was ask him to leave her property. Later that night he came back and smashed all the windows in her car! Then, he was arrested. Gee..wonder if that could have been prevented somehow?