Carry in Georgia with Tn permit?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EyeOfMidnight

Very similar to Tennessee in a lot of ways except that you can't carry in true bars (unless the owner gives you verbal permission) or places of worship. Keeping it in your car is ok since they have the parking lot law. Oh, and gunbuster signs have no legal weight :stunned:

Georgia law changed a few months back. You are now good to go carrying in a church. You no longer are required to carry a gun in a holster in your pocket. No crimanal penalty for carrying past a gunbuster sign. Actually you have more freedom to carry in Georgia than you do in Tennessee. Even if you are from Tennessee as long as you have a valid HCP.

A friend of mine who is a Trooper in Sumner co. He said carrying in a commercial vehicle is legal with a couple of stipulations. The state must have reciprocity with TN and it's just like having a passenger in your truck you must have a letter of authorization from your company stating it is o.k. with them or be able to reach your company's safety officer.

I know the arguement about carring in a comercial vehicle(no one can find a law against it) unless that has changed.

Someone was telling me the other day it is still not good to cross state lines in a comercial vehicle armmed.

Anyone have anything on this?

No federal law against it, contrary to popular belief, no DOT rules or anything.

I know of no states that have law against it, either, but it's possible.

For sure, same laws apply to commercial drivers from state to state as to anyone else.

Most companies, even if your vehicle is owner-operated and leased to them, forbid weapons, of course. And you can be searched at any federal or federally contracted installation or military unit, which is a factor for some truckers.

- OS

...nd it's just like having a passenger in your truck you must have a letter of authorization from your company stating it is o.k. with them or be able to reach your company's safety officer.

Nah, sorry but I gotta call BS on that guy.

No federal law against it. No TN law against it.

Only company policies against it. You can be fired but not arrested, assuming you have permit valid in TN or carry the gun in legal unloaded condition.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Only company policies against it. You can be fired but not arrested, assuming you have permit valid in TN or carry the gun in legal unloaded condition.

- OS

^^AGREEE^^

- OS

That is what it would seem. He and I worked together as truck drivers before he became a Trooper, so he seems to have good knowledge on both sides of the coin so to speak. It would not seem to be illegal to carry a passenger in your truck but you can be fined if they are not a co-driver or authorized by your company. I will try and get clarification form him. Weather it is a fine, an arrest-able offense or what.

That is what it would seem. He and I worked together as truck drivers before he became a Trooper, so he seems to have good knowledge on both sides of the coin so to speak. It would not seem to be illegal to carry a passenger in your truck but you can be fined if they are not a co-driver or authorized by your company. I will try and get clarification form him. Weather it is a fine, an arrest-able offense or what.

Re the gun stuff, have him reference a TN or Federal statute, or even DOT regulation. (crickets)

As far as the passenger thing, it's certainly an insurance matter for the company, and can certainly get you fired, but I'm not sure it's an actual federal crime, and I highly doubt there's a TN state statute against it. Perhaps it's a US DOT rules offense, I really don't know. May be different for owner-operator than company driver, too.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Just got off the phone with my Trooper friend. He works tonight and is going to talk with his supervisor to get clarification. He did say there is a TCA regulation on passengers and believes it similar for concealed carry in a commercial vehicle, but he is going to get the specifics. He did say that most Troopers don't care as long as you have a permit and will only push the issue if you are being an ass. I will post again as soon as I talk to him.

...He did say there is a TCA regulation on passengers and believes it similar for concealed carry in a commercial vehicle, but he is going to get the specifics....

I look forward to the TCA references.

Again, I do not believe any exist for the gun part. Meaning, the same weapons statutes apply for a commercial trucker as for the rest of us, simple as that.

- OS

Alright got the final word from my Trooper friend and his supervisor who is said to be all knowledgeable on commercial DOT regs. OhShoot you are correct. As long as you have a valid permit, you are good to go. They no longer care what your company policy is. This is the latest interpretation of the law. He said about three years ago legal opinions changed due to a court challenge not a true change in the law, only the way it is now interpreted. He told me to "feel free to carry your hog leg in your truck".

Alright got the final word from my Trooper friend and his supervisor who is said to be all knowledgeable on commercial DOT regs. OhShoot you are correct. As long as you have a valid permit, you are good to go. They no longer care what your company policy is. This is the latest interpretation of the law. He said about three years ago legal opinions changed due to a court challenge not a true change in the law, only the way it is now interpreted. He told me to "feel free to carry your hog leg in your truck".

and carry a copy of this thread to court when you get arrested. LOL.

:devil:

Well, the "interpretation change" regarding firearms still doesn't make any sense to me, as TCA has not changed in this time period and has never mentioned commercial truckers. And, US DOT rules have never mentioned personal firearm possession at all, and neither does TN DOT. I know, have CDL and researched DOT gun stuff quite thoroughly when I got it about 6 years ago, as was thinking of hitting the road with a piece, as I had for about a year in my youth (back long before a CDL was even required).

So I can only suggest departmental urban legal myth. Lord knows there have been plenty of them regarding gun possession through the years, and they continue to some degree even now.

Thanks for following up on this interesting little aside.

- OS