Hog Hunting

Guest UKTN

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've hunted Catoosa (Genesis Section) with my Brother-in-law about five

years ago. I think I hunted it for about 4-5 times on quota hunts. Saw plenty of signs.

But they always stayed ahead of me. Jumped a few deer, but always does though.

They are there though.

Isn't there a place in east Tennessee, where you can hunt hogs with a knife?
I know there used to be a place years ago that included a custom made knife to use for the kill in the price for the hunt.They used dogs IIRC.The dogs held the hog while you killed the hog with the knife.
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest jth_3s
Isn't there a place in east Tennessee, where you can hunt hogs with a knife?

Yea there is some place around crossville I believe. My dads friend goes there and does it. They say they have to stitch people up pretty often lol. I might try it if I ever get terminaly ill.

Guest David Waldrip

NSNate02:

I'm interested in hog hunting in northern MS, but, ummmm, with a rifle.........not a knife. Could you ask your brother for recommendations on rifle hunts?

Thanks.

David

I have seen hogs (wild boar) in Cherokee National Forest, at the top of Citico Creek while trout fishing. It's a very rough area to hunt though. I live close to Catoosa also and have heard that its loaded with hogs. I'd love to go, but I think if you don't have dogs your chance of success is pretty limited. My brother went to Florida and hunted feral hogs with knife and gun just a few months ago and said it was a blast.

Guest rj8806

I certainly don't have enough fur on my bean bags to go after a wild hog with a knife. My hats off to those of you that do.

Richard

i've hunted them at Catoosa WMA and also at Big South Fork. like the others have said, i've seen tons and tons of sign, but not seen much hair at all. i've never actually saw one at Big South Fork, but i did have a run in with a big one at Catoosa 3 years ago. it was my fault i didnt get a shot at it. we started out hunting in the open woods/fields so i had my scoped bolt action with me. long story short, weather got rough and we moved to thicker territory, much thicker, so thick that it was very hard to shoulder a rifle, much less swing one. it ran in front of me about 20 yards up, if i had only had my rifle slinged across my back and my handgun in my hands i might could've gotten it...

Here is a guy on Ebay list hog hunts. This auction has expired but I'd bet there will be more soon. If any one is interested I'd probably go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOG-HUNTING-TRIP-2008-TENNESSEE-WHITETAIL-HUNT-BOAR_W0QQitemZ160245814590QQihZ006QQcategoryZ14110QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hmm...that does look interesting...i would have no desire though to pay to kill an animal that was fenced in or just turned loose in this area. he says they are free range though and that they are not penned so who knows? anyone have any experience with him?

• 2 weeks later...

Russians and ferals, used to hunt ferals in s GA around fort stewart with a pistol. Ferals arent "Tame" they are hogs that escaped and grew on their own. Normally not as aggressive as "Wild" hogs, but they will charge if you get too close or have to take 2-3 shots to put em down. and yes I have shinnied my big ol butt up a cedar tree once to get away from a hog shot 3 times with a 45ACP he went doiwn after a few minutes, but the cedar tree left scars that will last a lifetime LOL

Good fun

Hillbilly

Guest jeff!

Ive hunted hogs in crosville, TN. Its at www.wildernesshuntinglodge.com it is on a reserve so i was not sure how much fun it would be, but i hunted mostly stalking the pigs and it was a blast. I took one on the last day i was there, i followed about 12 of them 30+ minutes until they bedded down to asleep got to about 15 feet after about 20 minutes of creeping up on them. They were laying down and i couldnt get a good shot, made a noise to spook them, they jumped up and i took mine with a 12 guage and a slug. It was over 250 lbs. My buddy got one a lot bigger than mine though much the same way. It was a blast though! I would reccomend it to anyone for sure.

The second day we went to a private area of land with a guide we made friends with and ran some hogs with dogs and WOW was it a work out. I am young and in shape and it was unbelievably hard but was an adrenaline rush like no other. We were hunting in a group of 4 with the 2 guides and the dogs cornered it. My friend shot it several times with a 45 and it didnt even makea dent. It rushed him and the guide then turned and went at another guy in our group who laid t down with a 12 guage and a slug. No other rush like it and i wasnt even the one shooting, i was only watching. It was somehting else but you have got to be in good shape to chase those dogs....

I did see this though in the trading post:

"Croy's Cabins & Hunting Preserve Croy's Cabins is Tennessee's newest Big Game Hunting Preserve. We offer Russian Boar, Elk, Fallow Deer, Red Stag, and other exotics. Fill your freezer using your stimulus payment!!! Starting now until the end of June 2008, We are offering True Russian Boar Hunts for only $500. Call to reserve your hunt today 423-272-2895 www.croyscabins.com"

I dont kno anything about them though just saw the add.