Shipping Long Guns

StPatrick

I'm interested in a firearm in the TGO classifieds, but don't have the time for an in-person trade.

What's the best way to ship, what are the pitfalls and potential complications for both buyer and seller, etc.

Guidance from those with experience is sincerely appreciated.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

If it's in-state, you can ship directly to them. But good luck finding a carrier to do it. Anyway, you can ship long guns via UPS and USPS. Best bet is to ship it to their FFL.

Yeah, there are lots of gotchas trying to legally ship.

- Contrary to what BATF says onsite, the only time you are to inform carrier that firearm is present is when it is NOT going to a licensee. But if you tell a UPS store, they'll likely say take it to a hub, and the hub probably won't ship it because it's not going to an FFL, even though it's legal. Same with FedEx/FedEx Office.

- USPS, not sure what they'll do when you tell them.

Note that there is nothing placed on carton to indicate a firearm, however, and if you've already printed a pre-paid label, like with UPS account or USPS online or eBay, nothing can be added to the paperwork that issued the label, so ....

I have no idea how you could actually ship firearms to yourself out of state, which is also legal, by following the various carriers' rules and federal law.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
I had to send my Mossberg 100ATR back to Eagle Pass,Tx. to get it repaired and the post office made me take out the firing pin.

That was going out of state, though. In or out of state, sounds like the postal employee you dealt with was not clear on the law. I don't see how removing the firing pin changes the fact that the ATF considers the receiver with the serial number on it the firearm.

I had to send my Mossberg 100ATR back to Eagle Pass,Tx. to get it repaired and the post office made me take out the firing pin.

Somebody was making up rules on the go. There is no provision in federal law or post office regulations for that.

I sent a Plinkster to Eagle Pass once myself.

I just didn't mention it was a firearm, as per federal law. Sent UPS, though.

- OS