Ruger LCP .380ACP Semi-Auto Pistol

Guest jbarbrey

You mentioned the TCP and I've been leaning that way. The look, trigger, and features pull me that direction. I've been reading whatever input I can find, personal testimonies mainly. Camparing the Kel Tek, the Ruger and the TCP; the TCP is the most recent entry and needs time to air out the design and manufacturing. So i'm still on hold. I purchased a new Walther PK380 back about 4 months and love it, it has been 100% from the start, but it is just in a different catagory due to size and features.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After looking at the LCP and KelTec, I finally found a Taurus TCP. The thing that struck me first about the TCP was a larger trigger guard and slightly deeper (front to back) grip. It just fit my hand better. I also like the fit and finish better. I bought it and after 100+ rounds, it's a keeper. Even my 15 year old likes to shoot it. Haven't had any problems with the trigger guard hitting my finger either. I ordered dies from Dillon and will be reloading for it as well.

Guest TN.Frank

Now days there are so many sub-compact 9x19mm pistols on the market that the poor little 380acp is pretty much been kicked to the curb. Check into the Kel-Tec PF-9 or P-11 and see how she like the feel of the gun. Recoil shouldn't be that much more and you'd be getting a full power 9mm to boot. JMHO, YMMV.

It's an odd sign of the times when Taurus is producing nicer weapons than Ruger. That's not a ding on Taurus... it's a ding on Ruger.

To be honest, I think it's just who has the most recent design as to who's leading the market. The big point for the Taurus was the fact that it has a last round hold open. Which is nice, and is my biggest complaint about the LCP. My initial reaction is to try and clear a F2F before actually thinking about a mag change (I can't count when I'm shooting.) ;)

For readers of the earlier post, the LCP does have a slide stop, so it can be locked open. Trekbike was referring to last round hold open. I only bring this up because I do have a pocket pistol that does not have a slide stop at all. If anyone is familiar with early .380s, the LCP is head and shoulders above anything produced 25 yrs ago.

I do like the TCP for the better sight picture, and their trigger guard does have a better design, but I'd doubt the actual recoil is much different than a LCP or 3AT. Being fair, I haven't shot one yet, but I'd have to believe it's perceived recoil. Any light gun of this size in .380's going to be somewhat violent.

If you are in the market for a pocket pistol also check out the new S&W Bodyguard 380. The price is only slightly higher than the LCP or TCP and it has a laser integrated into the frame. It's also got blade sights comparable to a traditional pistol.

IMHO, the laser's more valuable than sights on any of these guns. I regard these as point shooters, and suggest training accordingly.

The LCP is my every day carry gun in a desantis nemesis pocket holster. If you carry this way, expect to do some spot cleaning on a weekly basis. You'll get lint in the barrel, trigger, hammer opening and have to oil the outside of the chamber/ejection port/ (whatever the proper term is). I have let the LCP get about a months worth of dirt on it and then spent some time with it on the range. I've yet to have a malfunction out of this gun clean or dirty. Next purchase for this gun is a SofTuck holster. It should help with the lint issue, and I'll be able to put my keys in my pocket again.

If I could carry a duty pistol every day I would, but if you have to wear a suit or shirt and slacks it at least gives you a defense option without making the sheep (and HR) nervous.

Sorry for the long post.