opening lips on magazine

laktrash

Whats the best way to open the lips on a magazine ? One of the magazines (new) is a little tight on my CS 45. Does anybody have a good method ? I 've tried needle nose pliers but I'm afraid I'm going to "bubba" it up. It just needs to be opened a smidge. Any Ideas ?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TnRebel
Cut a piece of wood the width you want and taper one end. Tap it through with a hammer.

That is what I do but .... I take the shoe and spring out and do it from the bottom that way the lips of the mag. stays at the same angle.

Note that when the lips get too wide is mainly when feeding probs happen with High Points.

- OS

In my case Its too tight. I think S&W had some issues with the chief magazines I think they had to add some indentions to keep the shell from kicking forward My other 3 function fine this one won't "kick up" because its in a bind With me me not being real handy I'll have to be careful to open up too much

If it feeds and works correctly I'd just leave the mag alone and just let it break-in on it's own. Like OS mentioned, feed-lips opening up is where a lot of problems come from, if you want to open them up just so it's easier to load the mag or just feels better to you might be asking for trouble, if it's not feeding then by all means... A lot of times putting an upward bend on the front half of the mag spring coil that sits right under the front of the follower will cure what you're describing (keeps the rounds nose-up giving a bit more support), I'd look at that before bending the lips, bending them back it that's not it can be a headache.

Edited by CK1
If it feeds and works correctly I'd just leave the mag alone and just let it break-in on it's own. Like OS mentioned, feed-lips opening up is where a lot of problems come from, if you want to open them up just so it's easier to load the mag or just feels better to you might be asking for trouble, if it's not feeding then by all means... A lot of times putting an upward bend on the front half of the mag spring coil that sits right under the front of the follower will cure what you're describing (keeps the rounds nose-up giving a bit more support), I'd look at that before bending the lips, bending them back it that's not it can be a headache.

Trust me I'm not one to tinker

On this mag the shell won't push to the top because it seems to bind. Whether trying to feed in the gun or using your thumb to push em thru. Its not doing the nose up thing. I seem to remember this being a issue discussed on another forum, Its being laying around in the safe for awhile because I didn't want risk screwing it up. I wouldn't dare carry until its been proven at the range especially since I have 3 good ones. may try to post some pics tommorrow to show how its hanging

Thanks for everybody's advice The "magazine fairy" must have shown up overnite. I can't get it to hang up. It still cycles a little rough I may have the shells worn a little from redoing over and over Here is a pic the bottom one is the"bad "one I think it might be the indentions are a little deeper than the other ones. AS CK1 said may require some breakin time to smooth it out. Btw I did swith springs, follower and baseplate from the others. It didn't change anything I guess range time is next step.

052kej.jpg