Most under rated pistol!

Guest carbonarcher

Guest The Highlander

My vote for most under-rated pistol is the Ruger SR9. Dang near a perfect pistol, and not getting much love. It corrects all the stuff I don't like about my Glocks, and is one of the best-feeling guns I've ever picked up.

I have handled a few CZ's, but never owned one, so I can't comment there. I played with several of the EAA's in Charlotte at the NRA show, and I have a feeling one of them is in my future, I just can't pick a model, partly because no one near here carries them. I also need to decide if I want it in 9mm to shoot and carry, or .45 for a range gun, or in my beloved 10mm. Decisions, decisions!

I do know that the CZ 75 is possibly more widely copied than even the 1911 platform, worldwide. So I think the "under-rated" part is only in the US.

The Highlander

Edited by The Highlander
Tried to edit out the extra "love," but it will not let me!
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how they are underrated at all...they are among the most popular pistols in the world and have been for many years.

In the United States they don't get talked about a lot in the press because CZ don't spend a lot of money to generate a kool-ade marketing machine. But aside from that they are very well know in the gun world. NOT underrated at all to the real shooters.

Guest Xring04

I'll join in with the CZ crowd. I traded a p3at for a new nickle cz83 in .380, and it is a joy to shoot. Really a quality little pistol. My wife likes it so much that it is her personal pistol. The action is smooth as silk and it's a tack driver. I had a sp01 and it was a great pistol.

Another pistol that gets no love is the Ruger P series, mainly the p89. For a pistol that is sold as cheap as they are used, they are fantastic. Throw a set of hogue rubber grips on it and have a quality hd pistol for under 3 bills. Not bad.

Guest Lester Weevils
Lester, that's a solid question, and the answer is that you're right, you can indeed lighten up a CZ trigger to where it will light-strike with the Kadet .22s.

I run a 13lb hammer-spring which is as low as you can go, and it'll set off just about anything as far as i know (i've never had a light-strike through over 3000rds on the spring), but, to be extra sure, you can install a $20 extended firing-pin or clip a coil or two off of the firing spring if you want to be extra safe that it'll ignite all primers if you like the 13lb spring. The Kadet kit and the .22s need more of a smack as it seems the lightest guys have success with is at least a 15lb hammer-spring, sometimes a 16. FWIW, in SA-mode the difference is barely noticeable so if you you don't mind a slightly heavier DA pull it's a non-issue. If you're going to go back and forth between the Kadet and 9/40 slide just stop at a 15lb hammer-spring and it'll run drama free.

FYI/FWIW, the competition hammer may be the best thing you ever do for yourself, the shorter hooks and higher sear-bed is a HUGE instant trigger-job, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner and for $63 it's more than worth every penny, it's like getting a different/better gun, no exageration and not kidding.

Thanks CK1

I'll probably buy an SA of some flavor + kadet kit from czcustoms, when I get around to it and decide how much wanna spend on one. Then maybe later send the CZ85 to czcustoms for maybe SA trigger, comp hammer, whatever.

I would consider maybe buying parts and doing it myself, but hunted down a couple of photo tutorials about it on the web. Maybe would try that, but it looks like a fair amount of spring twiddling and a little fitting. Someone more mechanically inclined might do fine, but might be beyond my pay grade. I can play music, wield soldering iron, or wangle computers better than I can fiddle with punch pins and tiny springs.

Would be tempted to get you to do it, but it would be easier to mail a gun to CZ Customs than drive to nashville. :hat:

Sorry about that, guess you could say I saw that BS post the same way.

Yeah, I was pretty obnoxious, that was lame of me, and I probably could've been more polite/gentle, sorry for that, meant every word though as I'd rather be the condescending know-it-all and be correct, than be putting nonsense out there as would-be know-how when it's total BS.

You were a bit rough on that poster. If I buy a new in the box pistol, I would expect it to work without someone needing to file anything. If that's too much to ask, I must take my place as a snob.

As for the most underrated pistol, I nominate the lowly model 10 Smith and Wesson. Although the old police turn ins are getting harder to come by, a smoother, more accurate handgun can't be had for several times the price.

As for the CZ 52, I bought two for $70 at an auction some time back. They appeared to be unfired. I don't feel like I got too good of a deal. I've seen smoother toy pistols. The entire gun is covered in machine marks, the firing pins aren't good for a box of shells, the grips are held in place by a gaudy metal clip, and the decocker will fire a round about every fourth try. I have no experience with the commercial CZ pistols, but theey sure look a lot better than the 52s.

I nominate the lowly model 10 Smith and Wesson.

Yep...the good ole K-Frame revolver really doesn't light many people's fire in the popular crowd these days. You are right...they are way, way underrated. The model 15 (or 67 in stainless) are just about the perfect .38 platform. Served in the public eye for almost as long as the 1911. There are probably more of these floating around than any other make of handgun.

As for the CZ 52, I bought two for $70 at an auction some time back. They appeared to be unfired. I don't feel like I got too good of a deal. I've seen smoother toy pistols. The entire gun is covered in machine marks, the firing pins aren't good for a box of shells, the grips are held in place by a gaudy metal clip, and the decocker will fire a round about every fourth try. I have no experience with the commercial CZ pistols, but theey sure look a lot better than the 52s.

So, would you be interested in getting rid of them for a reasonable price? If so, shoot me a PM.