5R

Guest Traumaslave

Guest Traumaslave

I see that Savage is now offering a 5R heavy fluted barrel on their model 10s. Thinking about the HS version. I know Remmy is proud of theirs. Is it better than a standard barrel? Also, the 11.25" twist has me cornfused. Will it hold for long range?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I would just buy a regular barrel and put the extra money towards practice ammo or reloading supplies. If the 5R barrels are that much more the I would just purchase a higher end drop in aftermarket barrel which can be had for around $300 +/- $50. You can buy a standard M10 and sell the barrel for $150, this would go a long way towards the purchase of that high end aftermarket barrel. Most shops don't charge a lot for a barrel change on a Savage, my local shop charges $30. They are a lot easier and quicker than a Remington. If you really get into Savages you can do the swaps yourself at home, I can do mine in about 10 minutes.

Standard Savage barrels are known for their accuracy. I have several 223's that shoot sub .4" at 100 yards using handloads and sub .75" with factory ammo. The biggest advantage to a barrel upgrade is fouling. Aftermarket barrels tend to foul less and clean easier. With that being said my Savages routinely see hundreds of rounds between cleanings and still shoot great when dirty or copper fouled.

As far as twsit goes the standard Savage barrel has a 10 twist which is better for the heavier stuff. 11.25 will work fine but I think that a 10 twist would be better suited for long range shooting. Too much twist isn't a problem with lightweight bullets.

I am against too much twist in any caliber. You can see all my previous posts where I am very critical of the faster twist barrels.

Dolomite

I'm running a 28" Schneider 1/12 5P and shoot 155's and 175's with no problems at 1000. At one time some guru came up with a formula and decided that 11.25 was the optimal twist rate for a 175. I've read and heard alot of good things about the Savage. You can find alot of info on snipershide just be prepared to wade through some of the b.s. Send Bigj45 a PM, he's pretty sharp about long range rifle stuff.

DaG

Guest Traumaslave
I have 3 with the R5 and do think they are more accurate , clean easier. I would spend the extra for the barrel or rifle to get the R5. Of course you must match the rifle with a good scope and mounts. Good mounts and good glass to round out the rig.

Do you have the 5Rs on Savages that you are comparing to comperable Savages or are they after market barrels?

• 3 weeks later...