i think i messed my friend up

i took my friend hunting with me and he killed his first deer satruday during rifle season. i hunt in jackson county, and up until this year, you couldn't shoot antlerless during rifle season. they recentely changed the law(or so i thought) so you can shoot doe during rifle season in jackson county. my friend just bought his big game license and i told him he could shoot a doe now, and he did. he checked it in and now he is double checking what i told him, but now i can't find it in the booklet or online. did i just get my friend in trouble or am i just not finding it?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best I can tell, he's allowed 2 doe this week. I live and hunt in L, aka paradise... ;)

So I read Jackson and got confused looking at the chart online and looked up Johnson, they have the anterless chart for "B" listed under "A" unit and "B" unit. I just talked to the lady at the TWRA, and Jackson co. is not in doe season right now........

Lady said she would fix the chart problem, but your buddy might be up a creek.....

Edited by iyaoyas98
stupidity
Guest BEARMAN

I live and hunt in Jackson county also, and you can't shoot does right now, for sure.

This is unit A, Jackson county isn't even listed on the 2010/2011 anterless deer non-quota hunts on page 26 of the 2010 Tennessee hunting and trapping guide.

Our doe hunts with firearms ended with the closing of muzzleloader season. Unless you hunt with archery equipment on the upcomming hunts in December; we're done with doe season. fwiw.

Don't know what the penalty will be for that mistake...however, it probably won't be cheap.

I sure hope this don't deter him from hunting in the future...we need every hunter we can get. IMHO

Guest BEARMAN
they have the anterless chart for "B" listed under "A" unit and "B" unit. I just talked to the lady at the TWRA, and Jackson co. is not in doe season right now........

Lady said she would fix the chart problem, but your buddy might be up a creek.....

If you can go online and print off where they have it listed wrong on their own web page, he might be able to fight it in court and use that as his defense...just don't know.

Looks like you might have to "split" that fine with your buddy, My82cam....after all, he did shoot that doe off your advice.

Just saying.

It would be the right thing to do....:up:

the only reason i told my friend it was ok was because i talked with a game warden 3 weeks before opening rifle season, we got to talking and i brought up doe hunting in unit A and that i hunted in jackson county. he agreed and said that it was legal to do so now. i didn't feel the need to check and make sure he told me the truth, but now i wish i would have. i think i should call that game warden and talk with him tomorrow. but i also wonder if it is best to just lay low...not sure. i will try and find that page and print it off, maybe that will help.

I am not a deer hunter but it would seem as though if they thought he violated the law he would have been told right there. I would definitely keep my mouth shut and hope for the best. The worst thing you could do is alert someone with questions, it isn't like they are going to believe the "I have a friend that....." story.

Dolomite

my82cam, brother I hope this is enough to get you to read the hunting regulations. It took me all of about 2 minutes to look at the TWRA website, click on the hunting tab, click on the "Deer Seasons and Regulations" link and read the antler-less table. I know I ain't your momma, but hope that you take the lesson from this experience. I learned a lesson by letting a game warden in Florida tell me that I wasn't legally hunting hogs on a particular WMA. I didn't hunt that day, but I did go home and print out the regulation that said I could hunt and presented it to him the next day. He apologized for not knowing the regs and I got to hunt. Point is, I had spent the time reading the regs and I do it again EVERY year, for EVERY area I hunt and for EVERY species I plan to hunt. It's just a good habit to start now.

my82cam, brother I hope this is enough to get you to read the hunting regulations. It took me all of about 2 minutes to look at the TWRA website, click on the hunting tab, click on the "Deer Seasons and Regulations" link and read the antler-less table. I know I ain't your momma, but hope that you take the lesson from this experience. I learned a lesson by letting a game warden in Florida tell me that I wasn't legally hunting hogs on a particular WMA. I didn't hunt that day, but I did go home and print out the regulation that said I could hunt and presented it to him the next day. He apologized for not knowing the regs and I got to hunt. Point is, I had spent the time reading the regs and I do it again EVERY year, for EVERY area I hunt and for EVERY species I plan to hunt. It's just a good habit to start now.

Exactly I read it at least 5 or 6 times in a week for my area I hunt. I will say this TWRA's web site isn't the best and some of the rules could be explained better.

Exactly I read it at least 5 or 6 times in a week for my area I hunt. I will say this TWRA's web site isn't the best and some of the rules could be explained better.

Yeah the website is very confusing. I have found then magazine that you can get at walmart is much less confusing.

Here is the link to the pdf of anterless hunts

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/pdfs/nonquotadeerlimits.pdf

Here is the link to the twra webpage about deer seasons

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/deerseasons.html

Scroll down and read the section named Special Season Quota Hunts Eliminated

The last sentence is the important one...

Once securing the proper licenses or permits, to participate in the antlerless gun hunts, simply find your county in the below listed table and follow the dates and bag limits prescribed. Unit L hunters are allowed three does per day throughout the gun season (antlerless license requirements still apply). If your county is not in Unit L and is not listed in the table, it is buck-only hunting throughout the gun season.

It sucks the game warden gave you bad info. I would have taken his word also. Hope your friend doesn't get in trouble.

Edited by KahrMan

i'm trying to decide if i should call the game warden and speak with him about it and try to clear it up and let him know it was a misunderstanding, or if i should just forget about it and hope they never catch it. i don't know if they check at the end of the year for this kind of thing, or if there is a computer system that finds mistakes when they are checked in. i would like to find where they had unit A labeled as unit B and print it off, but i haven't found that info yet.