1911 guys shooting Sigs?

Guest carbonarcher

Guest carbonarcher

As an avid 1911 shooter with a high/forward thumb grip, I have noticed that I have a habbit of touching the slide release when shooting a Sig. Is this something that anyone else has experienced? Have you had to adjust your grip?

Thanks

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not necessarily a "1911 guy" here, but I shoot with a high thumbs-forward grip and know exactly what you're talking about. That said, I know they're very popular and don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings but strictly IMHO only, I absolutely hate the ergonomics of Sigs, especially the DA/SA's, the SAO's less-so.

The placement of the levers on most of the Sig pistols came about when the push-pull/tea-cup/weaver-stance was the accepted norm and being taught as the bleeding edge of handgun technique, looking at them now it's almost as if they tried to put the decock-lever and slide-release in the way...

A lot has changed since then, Enos and Leathem taking the the competition world by storm in the early 80's with the thumbs-forward grip and modern isosceles-stance has since caught the notice of most, if not all, involved in military/LEO training-circles and now has become the modern standard amongst anyone teaching serious handgun technique.

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot thumbs forward also but I'm in the exact opposite situation as you. I'm used to shooting my sig pro (which decocker and slide release are located a little differently than Sig P series) and when I started shooting my 1911 I was hitting the slide stop frequently and locking the slide back between rounds. Altered my grip a little and got my left thumb away from slide stop and fixed that problem but I have run into another one. When going to rack the slide back my right index finger rests right on the bulge of the slide stop pin so when the slide gets back to the take-down notch it pops my slide lock into that groove and locks the slide. The only solution I can see is either put my trigger finger elsewhere or cut the end off the slide stop flush with the frame so I can't push it through, but then I would have to use something to pop it out when I go to strip the gun.

Guest Hillbilly Dan

As an old 1911 shooter and a new lover and user of Sigs (I own 5 now). I do not find a problem with my grip. My thumbs are down fairly low and I have to admitt that I use an old style grip and even at times (usuallly once a week) I also shoot with one hand, both right and left. I do not practice for one little small group.

I shoot combat style and although I can make a fairly tight group. It does not bother me to spead em out a little.

I am impressed with the Sig. I have the Sig 1911's as well as two 220's, a 229 and the new 226e.

Very good wepons, but you can see that my daily carry is a Robar Colt Combat Master.

Hillbilly Dan