O.K. to carry at a school?

Guest rj8806

I know you are not allowed to carry on school property during school functions etc... but here is a question for you all.

My daughter is in cheerleading and the practices are held at night at a local school gym. The cheerleading team is not associated with the school(or any school), we are just using their gym to hold practice.

Is it o.k. to carry in that scenario? Yes, I have my HCP.

Richard

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TargetShooter84

I know that it is illegal to have any kind of weapons on any school property since it is a county or state property, and they have strict rules for weapons....its prohibited unless there's activities that involve firearms that are permitted on those grounds. I wouldnt even think about bringing it to school to be on the safe side b/c if you get caught, well...you do the math.

I know you are not allowed to carry on school property during school functions etc... but here is a question for you all.

My daughter is in cheerleading and the practices are held at night at a local school gym.

Richard

illegal per every letter of the TN HCP law. your weapon must stay on your person and in your car UNTOUCHED. i.e. dropping kids off, picking them up. you must not touch the weapon in any manner.

That's what I figured but it couldn't hurt to ask. I thought maybe since it wasn't a school sanctioned event and was in the evening, maybe there was a loophole.

Richard

Guest bkelm18

Yep, school property is school property. Only exceptions:

39-17-1310. Affirmative defense to carrying weapons on school property. —

It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under § 39-17-1309(a)-(d) that the person's behavior was in strict compliance with the requirements of one (1) of the following classifications:

(1) A person hunting during the lawful hunting season on lands owned by any public or private educational institution and designated as open to hunting by the administrator of the educational institution;

(2) A person possessing unloaded hunting weapons while transversing the grounds of any public or private educational institution for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting with the intent to hunt on the public or private lands unless the lands of the educational institution are posted prohibiting entry;

(3) A person possessing guns or knives when conducting or attending “gun and knife shows” and the program has been approved by the administrator of the educational institution; or

(4) A person entering the property for the sole purpose of delivering or picking up passengers and who does not remove, utilize or allow to be removed or utilized any weapon from the vehicle.

I know that it is illegal to have any kind of weapons on any school property since it is a county or state property, and they have strict rules for weapons.

Just to clarify, yes it is illegal, in general, to carry on school property, but the fact that it is owned by the goverment has nothing to do with it.

It is perfectly legally to carry on most state, county and local goverment property unless it is posted.

Guest TargetShooter84
Just to clarify, yes it is illegal, in general, to carry on school property, but the fact that it is owned by the goverment has nothing to do with it.

It is perfectly legally to carry on most state, county and local goverment property unless it is posted.

I kinda disagree with that, When I took my HCP class at Pellissippi State, I was told not to bring any kind of firearms on the state property, that it had to be unloaded, kept seperate and stored out of sight (in car since we were going to the range afterwards) but generally, its prohibited, and considering state parks are part of state properties, it is illegal to carry on the premises, so there is very limited places owned by goverment/state that you can actually carry a firearm.

Guest bkelm18
I kinda disagree with that, When I took my HCP class at Pellissippi State, I was told not to bring any kind of firearms on the state property, that it had to be unloaded, kept seperate and stored out of sight (in car since we were going to the range afterwards) but generally, its prohibited, and considering state parks are part of state properties, it is illegal to carry on the premises, so there is very limited places owned by goverment/state that you can actually carry a firearm.

This has been covered in another thread. Unless the property is posted as a no gun zone and isn't specifically prohibited by law, then it isn't illegal to carry in those places.

Targetshooter you were told wrong...that's all I can say.

Yes, at Pellissippi State you can not carry because it is a school, but it actually wouldn't have had to be broke down like that if you would have already had a HCP and left it in the car. See T.C.A. 39-17-1309©(1) {The second half of it} Also T.C.A. 39-17-1310

As far as state parks, that is an ongoing debate because of the way the law is worded it does not mention handguns. T.C.A. 39-17-1311

I have found out from what others have posted in this and other forums many students are either given no information, incomplete information or just flat out wrong information about some of the state laws and HCPs.

Guest TargetShooter84
Targetshooter you were told wrong...that's all I can say.

Yes, at Pellissippi State you can not carry because it is a school, but it actually wouldn't have had to be broke down like that if you would have already had a HCP and left it in the car. See T.C.A. 39-17-1309©(1) {The second half of it} Also T.C.A. 39-17-1310

As far as state parks, that is an ongoing debate because of the way the law is worded it does not mention handguns. T.C.A. 39-17-1311

I have found out from what others have posted in this and other forums many students are either given no information, incomplete information or just flat out wrong information about some of the state laws and HCPs.

Oh ok...thanks for clearing that up with me....guess you do have a point there. Wouldnt it make sense to actually give the right information to the students in HCP class...I was told the opposite that it was totally illegal regardless on state/gov't properties but thanks

Wouldnt it make sense to actually give the right information to the students in HCP class

Yes it would!! There are HCP instructors on this forum and AFAIK they all do a good job, but that can't be said for all out there.

I don't want to start this debate, but I wouldn't be surprised if open carry wasn't mentioned at all in your class or that if it was the instructor may have said it is "technically" legal but strongly advised against it. Some do, some don't for a variety of reasons, but to me it is up to each person and what is right for them. As long as they have all the correct information. So with that in mind I will tell you there is an AG opinion that says park carry is illegal. Although there is a big difference between an AG opinion and a judge's ruling.