Taking my wife to range

g2122

I've finally talked my wife in going to the range tomorrow. She has never shot a handgun before. I keep telling her that I do not know anyone who has went shooting that did not enjoy it. Plus, there is all sorts of practical reasons she needs to know how to operate a handgun. Obviously, I want to ingrain in her head safety(no sweeping, muzzle control,finger out of trigger guard,ect..)

My softest shooting two handguns are the Glock 21sf and Beretta 92sf. I'm kind of leaning more toward the G21sf. Even though it recoils more than the Beretta, its operation is more simple. Any suggestions?

As for me, I'm shooting my Dad's Glock 20/ 10mm. So if anyone sees any mushroom explosions, it is just me shooting the 10mm.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rent or borrow a .22 for her. And between the Glock 21 and the Beretta, the Beretta is much less intimidating. This is only one of the many reasons your first rifle and pistol should .22s.

Most guys are better off letting someone else teach their wife or girlfriend to shoot. That way you don't let your ego get in the way.

Make it as much fun for her as possible. Remember what you find 'fun' may not be her idea of fun. Particularly if it involves muzzle blast, flash, and lots of recoil. Start her off at very close range so that she can immediately see her results and guarantee that she is on paper. Be encouraging and patient.

Good luck.

I just had a similar experience.

My mom has been bugging me to take her shooting for a while now so I figured it was time. She hasn't shot in years so it was a re-learning experience. At 62 she feels the need to be able to defend herself if need be....I agree.

A few months back I showed up at their house (I live in TN and them in IL) with a new to me 3 screw single six. She had one of her own 20 years back and got all nostalgic on me and commandeered the darn thing. I couldn't argue so the gun became hers. She started out shooting the Ruger and really enjoyed it. Loading and unloading it was a little tedious but she was doing fine after a few cylinders.

Next I let her shoot my Neos with a bushnell red dot....It's a miracle that I still own the gun after that. Needless to say she loved it. Her groups shrunk significantly with the aid of the red dot. She said "now I know why all the old people like to have a scope".....I got a kick out of that.

Continuing on I let her try my S&W 10-5 with some mild 38 special loads. After a little apprehension she really enjoyed the extra umph over the 22 lr's. If I were a criminal I'd be scared. She had no problem blasting the center of the silhouette with that little snubby.

Next she got to shoot my G17. She liked that large auto over the smaller 10-5 revolver. I was amazed at how well she handled the Glock. It's a little "chunky" but she did just fine.

I'm going to give you one pointer that will make the shooting experience much more fun. Double hearing protection! My mother was very intimidated when we walked into the range. Other people were shooting and it was very load. It's hard to concentrate on hitting a target when the muzzle blast from your gun and other peoples weapons is making you flinch. Now, I'm not sure if you are going to be shooting indoors or out, we were indoors. Either way good, double hearing protection will make this easier.

I agree with renting a 22. My 38 special and G17 were about all mom could handle. That G21 will probably be very intimidating. Good luck and I hope she enjoys herself. It feels great to enjoy a day of shooting with loved ones.

IMG_0051.jpg

Edited by Zeus
Rent or borrow a .22 for her.

Make it as much fun for her as possible. Remember what you find 'fun' may not be her idea of fun. Particularly if it involves muzzle blast, flash, and lots of recoil. Start her off at very close range so that she can immediately see her results and guarantee that she is on paper. Be encouraging and patient.

+1 +1 +1

Start her off on a .22. If she gets bored, it's easy to move her up in caliber. If she starts with too big of a firearm & has a bad experience, it will be much harder for you to bring her back. Guns & Leather has 22's available for rent on their range. It'll be the wisest $10 you ever spent.

Some thoughts & humble opinions:

- It's not about accuracy (unless she asks).

- It's not about stance (unless she asks).

- Heck, it's not even about shooting...

Make it about enjoying some time together, while trying something new. Emphasis on "enjoying". If she wants to stop or take a break, let her. She needs to do this at her own pace. You'll have plenty of time later to help her with the basics of shooting. For now, just let her get used to shooting, to the range environment, and encourage her to have fun! Even better, have her invite one of her girlfriends to come along. Bonus points if she's experienced in shooting.

As for safety, start her off with just the first two rules: Always keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction, and keep your finger off the trigger. Her head will be swimming with all of the other details about operation of the firearm, the range, and what's going on around her while trying to process this new experience.

Hey, even *I* was terrified the first time I shot. Thankfully, it was a .22 rifle that I quickly became comfortable with & enjoyed shooting for many summers. I still vividly remember that day.

Be gentle & encouraging.

Best of luck to ya! ;)

Guest TnRebel
Rent or borrow a .22 for her. And between the Glock 21 and the Beretta, the Beretta is much less intimidating. This is only one of the many reasons your first rifle and pistol should .22s.

Most guys are better off letting someone else teach their wife or girlfriend to shoot. That way you don't let your ego get in the way.

Good luck.

From someone who has taught four woman how to shoot ..... I say 157yx5t.gif DO-NOT start her out on a heavy cal. work up to ... by all means take what you have but rent her a 22 for at lest the first hour if she wants to shoot yours then by all means let her.

I took my wife to the range for her first time with a Beretta 92. Mainly because it was the only pistol I was familiar with from my service time. She loved it, and still loves Beretta's to this day. They are more ergonomic, so I think it feels better in a woman's hand. And if you want her to enjoy herself (or more importantly enjoy shooting) you want her to have a pistol she will enjoy the feel of. She will pick up the DA/SA DAO info quickly, and you'll be glad you exposed her to it early.

I took my wife to the range for the first time recently - she started out with a Walther P22, then moved on to a Glock 26. She didn't like either of them, and wasn't able to get all her shots on paper, even at pretty close range. She asked to try my Springfield Champion .45, and I (reluctantly) agreed...

She was hooked from the first shot, and put 7 holes in about a 2-3 inch circle in the middle of the same target. She says wants to go along to the range with me every time now, but she's not interested in shooting anything smaller than a .45. I had to trade the walther for an ATI 1911 Titan for her at the last gun show to keep her from claiming my Springfield.

I agree about extra ear protection - she was very uncomfortable with the noise until we doubled-up with plugs and ear muffs.

Guest Fargazer

Another thought would be a 22 conversion kit, either for the Glock (several good ones out there) or the CZ75 (the Kadet). That gives both the feel of a full sized larger bore pistol without the associated larger bore recoil.

Well, we had a great time. I was thoroughly impressed with my wife. I did take the Beretta 92sf. We shot some reloads, that were towards the light end of the reloading scale. We then shot a box of Federal FMJ 115 grains which are fairly mild as well. She was great with not sweeping anyone and muzzle control. That was my first priority. I brought my S&W airweight with standard pressure .38s. She did not like the trigger pull at all on that gun, so I did not even have her shoot it. She liked the Beretta. Another guy was there with a .22 S&W semi auto handgun and he let her put a few rounds though it. She liked shooting the 9mm much better. In fact, I kept asking if she wanted to go and she didn't. She wanted to keep shooting so I let her until we were out of 9mm ammo. The other guys there were very friendly and supportive as well. I wasn't about to let her shoot the Glock 20 with Double Tap, though.

Next time, I'm going to take one of my Glocks. She wants to shoot a Glock. I'll probably take the G21. I don't feel good about her shooting a .40 until she has shot quite a bit more. This may actually give me a good excuse to buy a Glock 17 or 19.

Thanks for all the advice.

Sounds like a good trip to the range. My wife shot my airweight one time, her first and last time. Partially due to the recoil, but more so because of the trigger. Right now her gun is a 9mm XD with a 4 in barrel. She has her permit but hasn't started carrying. I'm thinking about one of the slim Taurus 9mm's for her since they have a thumb safety, otherwise she doesn't like the idea of carrying one with a round chambered. Good luck with the progression, hopefully she'll get the addiction.