Taking the Armed/unarmed guard class tomorrow (and Sunday)

Guest peacexxl

Guest peacexxl

I am joining the security ministry (the Watchmen) at church and they have asked that if you intend to carry as part of this group, you have an Armed guard license. From what I understand it is basically similar to the HCP course with some extra book lerning throwed in.

Even still, I am kind of excited about any additional training since I have been wanting to add some training. Also, I have been looking to be more active in church and this is right up my alley.

Anyway, is anyone familiar with the course or have any thoughts on it or organized church carry? The one thing that threw me a little was during the orientation meeting, one of the members, who was a federal firearms instructor, mentioned something about what was allowed and not allowed in our particular church and he talked about how it is illegal to carry in church. I decided to bite my tongue and that I will bring it up later once I am more familiar with the group. I don't know if this guy lives in Mississippi or Arkansas and commutes to Memphis or what his background is but I didn't want to call BS on him in my first meeting.

Guess we will see how it goes.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

The armed guard course is basically Unarmed 4 hours, HCP 8 hours, and an additional 4 hours to cover the Armed material. It's an OK course, but I would recommend taking it at Range USA and then taking their Level 1 course at the least. Basically no matter where you take the class, if it's to get licensed for something, it's going to cover the state basics. If you want to learn how to draw and fire, move and shoot, etc you need advanced training.

The armed guard course is basically Unarmed 4 hours, HCP 8 hours, and an additional 4 hours to cover the Armed material. It's an OK course, but I would recommend taking it at Range USA and then taking their Level 1 course at the least. Basically no matter where you take the class, if it's to get licensed for something, it's going to cover the state basics. If you want to learn how to draw and fire, move and shoot, etc you need advanced training.

+1 for more training Training is always good. I like RUSAs defensive handgun course.

Guest peacexxl

Punisher, I did take the course at RUSA and we do plan on taking more courses there as a group.

No as I understand it, there is no insurance provided to individuals as part of this group. It is just one of those resposibilities that you may chose to take on in life. Sure it may seem like I am exposing myself to some liabilities in doing so, but that is a chance I am willing to take and a decision I have made with a clear mind and a heart that says this is my responsibility.

Punisher, I did take the course at RUSA and we do plan on taking more courses there as a group.

No as I understand it, there is no insurance provided to individuals as part of this group. It is just one of those resposibilities that you may chose to take on in life. Sure it may seem like I am exposing myself to some liabilities in doing so, but that is a chance I am willing to take and a decision I have made with a clear mind and a heart that says this is my responsibility.

Cool deal. I think it's a good thing you're doing. It's always good to keep the liability aspect in mind, but it seems you have thought it out. Here's hoping you never need your training! ;)

Guest Guy N. Cognito

You might want to discuss that with the powers that be at the church. While we all face a certain amount of liability as citizens with HCPs, you really could be venturing into a different realm if you are acting as an organized security unit for a large business.