WWI or WWII vintage Colt 1911.....

Zeus

I am considering purchasing one of these and was wondering who has one. I'm not new to 1911's by any means. I have a Kimber Eclipse Custom II that is an awesome weapon and have shot many other 1911's. I just want an accurate representation of an original model.

What's your take on the oldies?

Here's my current 1911

DSC_2131.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are plenty of original 1911's and 1911A1's out there that can be shot all day long. I wouldn't buy one to do so as they cost way more than that Kimber but they are as strong now as then.

After 1945 there were no more manufactured for the US military. They continued using them until that Beretta came along. Huge testimony to the pistol's longevity (and reliability :D).

I just want an accurate representation of an original model.

What's your take on the oldies?

This represents two different things. Please clarify; are you wanting an "accurate representation" of an original, or an "oldie," a true original? The price difference is substantial.

I have an old 1911 made in 1913 (best I remember). It's old and worn out (it's almost 100 yo) but still packs a punch. I like to shoot it every now and then. As a matter of fact it is my bed side security. It's in such worn shape it's not worth much (not a safe queen) except to me. I think it is really neat having a 1911 this old and still working great.

Sometimes I wonder if it was used to fight the Kaiser in WWI. Who knows.......

I'd say if you can find one get it. There's a lot of history around them. Good luck.

Edited by beartooth

If you want a 'real' 1911A1 at an affordable price, look for an Argentine M1927. The first ones were actually built by Colt in the USA, then once Colt set up the machinery, they built them in Argentina. Colt quality at the highest level, all parts interchange with any other 1911A1. The later Ballester Molina is not a 1911A1 and most parts will not interchange. It is easily recognized as it has no grip safety.

Any 1911 or 1911A1 is a great pistol. The quality of manufacture of even wartime production is as good as anything ever mass-produced. You are not going to hurt one by shooting it, unless you use crappy ammo. Just keep it clean and don't let it rust and your grand-kids will pass it on to their kids.

As for GI 1911A1s, in the ten years I spent in the Infantry, much of the time managing the arms rooms, I don't believe I ever saw a 1911A1 that would satisfy a picky collector. By 1975, most of the .45s in the inventory had been re-arsenalled at least once with no attention paid to matching parts. I saw plenty of 1911s that had been 'updated' with 1911A1 parts.

Keep in mind that military .45s were not built or designed to win matches. They are made to be carried in the worst conditions imaginable and shoot bad guys when you don't have time to get to a rifle. At that, they excell.

This represents two different things. Please clarify; are you wanting an "accurate representation" of an original, or an "oldie," a true original? The price difference is substantial.

Sorry about the conflicting information....My idea of an "accurate representation" would be an original with matching numbers. I understand that price will come into play but it's not really a factor.

It's not going to be a safe queen. If it's already been fired there's no sense in letting it sit...IMHO.

Thanks for the Argentine M1927 recommendation. I'll take a look. As my gun collection has evolved I appreciate the older ones much more.

Good luck in your search, there are still several "original" 1911's and 1911A1's available. However, you may want to consider reviewing the "1911 forums" that are available and study the information relative to US GI 1911's. You will find that when it comes to GI pistols, there are no "matching" numbers. Serial numbers appear on the frame only and specific numbers were assigned to the various manufacturers.

The pistols did have certain parts, which are stamped with appropriate codes (letters, numbers) by various sub contractors. There are many pistols, as previously pointed out, that went through rebuild at various arsenals. They are not necessarily "original", as issued but, are "original" as GI pistols and very collectable. You will and can find Colt slides on Remington Rand frames and vice versa.

There are serveral known and respected authors on the 1911 and Clawson probably has the greatest following. His "big book" sells for several hundred dollars. With the information available on the web, you will be able to learn quite a bit. Be careful though, there are some some pistols out there that have been alterted, put together and out and out "faked".

Prices for "original" 1911A1's, manufactured during WWII, are all over the place. Knowledge is power and when you are considering an investment of $800 to $2,000, it pays to do the research.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest buttonhook

I happen to have this one in the safe. it came back from france with my wifes great-grandfather in 1919. I has the orginal (aftermarket audley) holster. just as it was carried by him in WW1. I also have some other interesting firearms that came back with him as well like a numbers matching( I swear the germans marked ever single part!!) uncut enfurt 1915 kar98/bayonett and scabard (ww1 kar98 not ww2 remake) and a BIG A$$ german flare gun. I've shot both the 1911 and the kar98 and they still shoot great!! 90 years later!

IMAG0116.jpg

IMAG0120.jpg

I love the history.

Edited by buttonhook
I happen to have this one in the safe. it can back from france with my wifes great-grandfather in 1919. I has the orginal (aftermarket audley) holster. just as it was carried by him in WW1. I also have some other interesting firearms that came back with him as well like a numbers matching( I swear the germans marked ever single part!!) uncut enfurt 1915 kar98/bayonett and scabard (ww1 kar98 not ww2 remake) and a BIG A$$ german flare gun. I've shot both the 1911 and the kar98 and they still shoot great!! 90 years later!

I love the history.

That is too cool! I would love to have a piece of history like that in my family. I used to work at a gun shop and folks would occasionally bring in firearms that had been war trophies or carried in combat and passed down. The recipients didn't appreciate the history or the connection to their family's past. I always cringed when that would happen. I get the same feeling when I see stuff like that sold on Pawn Stars.

Guest buttonhook

I also have photos of him with the pistol. these will not be sold....stolen maybe(I hope not) but never sold. I also have some artwork that was carved on used french 75 artillery cases. I visted the national ww1 museum this past summer in KC. they would have loved the KAR98 I have as it is in better condition than the ones they had on display.

Edited by buttonhook

Buttonhook, thanks for sharing. That is a beautiful gun. I'm jealous!

P.S. My other hobby (photography) has taken a toll on my gun funds. A new DSLR and a few lenses will do that to ya. Needless to say, I'll probably run into what I'm looking for with no way to buy it....ouch

Edited by Zeus
Guest buttonhook

I didn't mean to keep going on about the ww1 stuff but I really like the history of these old guns....any old guns.

It happens all the time to me as well...dang it I spend my money on other hobbies and then when a deal comes I dont have it.

I really like the new guns too(like your kimber)....but It is the history of the old ones that gets me. I always wonder where has this thing been? who had it? if it could talk what stories would it tell? I think that is the real bonus that the older guns have over the new ones. I will buy new guns but I will never get rid of the old ones. I think if you get a chance to buy an old war horse do it. Then research it and find out all the history you can and shoot it from time to time thats what they are made for!!

Edited by buttonhook