Deer conditions for opening day of gun season

Guest BungieCord

Guest BungieCord

With unseasonably high temperatures and a full moon, opening day of gun season is looking pretty grim. I have access to the spot where I'll be hunting any weekday but I need not to take off work more than one day next week. And there's no detailed forecasts for any further out than Tuesday so it's a crap shoot whether it'll cool off later in the week. If you could only take off work one day next week, would you go Monday or roll the dice and try later in the week?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i know conditions aren't great, but a friend and i have planned a camping and hunting trip for this weekend since last year. we may not shoot anything, but we should still have a great time. you never know what will happen during the rut!

Guest BungieCord

Intellicast forecast says Thursday is my day (hi of 47°), except there's still quite a lot of moon, and it doesn't set until 10:00 a.m.

Just go when the urge hits.....can't kill'em at home!

Well, actually I can ...but it might make the Chief of Police cross. :D

I didn't go out this mornign based on the the full moon and warm weather. My Dad did go and he shot a BIG Doe, but she ran over the property line and died 20 feet from a guy's deer stand. My Dad said about 2 or 3 minuters after he heard the deer fall, he heard a four wheeler crank up and drive away. He followed the blood trail and cam up to the spot on the neighbors property where she retired. Bummer.

Went in bean station tn yesterday I saw in order 3 doe then 1 coyote(who is no longer with us) then I saw 1 buck and a doe traveling together (my partner got the buck3 pointer) then went and ate lunch came back for some dusk fun and saw nothing....except a lone bobcat ( who is no longer with us). I heard at least 40 gunshots yesterday so there were some deer killed. First time I have hunted with my model 70 chambered in 300 winmag. Pretty impressed with it...killed the two predators instantly.

Edited by Krull

Well I think the weather the last couple of days really stinks as far as deer hunting weather. Maybe the cold front thats coming in this weekend will help some. I went this morning and hunted in a sweat shirt and my orange vest. Didn't need a jacket. And thought I was gonna get blew out of the tree.