auto Hd shotgun ?

laktrash

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

I think it likely has something to do with the fact that a great pump shotgun in the line of a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 is half the cost or less of a great auto shotgun. I use an auto, and wouldn't trade it for anything. That said, I could have bought 4 870's for the same price of one Benelli M4.

There is also probably the misconception of racking the slide on a pump gun scaring a criminal away. This is a bad mindset, and I'll go with Travis Haley on this. He says, "I don't use a pump to scare somebody, I use a pump to shoot somebody."

BTW, the above video set from Magpul is a great set for any shotgun owner. Like their other two videos on running the carbine and pistol, this is almost a must have. It shows you how critical it is that you go out and get some training on your weapon system.

Just curious why automatic shotguns are usually not shown for home defense ? I'm sure that are some but I don't recall ever seeing one.

It's the same reason PD and military use pump guns, reliability. I know the better auto shotguns are 100% reliable, but the lower end shotguns are not. Maybe auto shotguns have gotten a bad rap over the years. I sold my 870 a few years ago and went with a Stoeger. I know bad idea, I sold it and bought another 870 inside of a year.

Guest bkelm18
How are the Saiga 12 semi-autos on reliability?

I'd say that it's as reliable as any other auto as long as you have it on the correct gas setting. I use a Saiga 12 for home defense.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

Good to know. To me the Saiga seems like one of the best options for a home defense auto just because of the platforms versatility when it comes to modifications.

I have a Rem 1100 setup for HD, have had for years. It's 100% reliable I used to shoot 3 gun matches with it and never a bobble. Even take it out sometimes for a bird hunt or trap shoot. Back before the popularity of pistol grips on shotguns I always got comments from the over/under guys at the trap house. Especially when I'd hit 20 out of 25.:rolleyes:

Edited by seez52
....Just curious why automatic shotguns are usually not shown for home defense ? I'm sure that are some but I don't recall ever seeing one.....

I agree wth several other posters who talk about the pump gun. The pump was the first successful "modern" HD shotgun, starting with the great Winchester Model 94 hammer gun of WW1 fame. I also think that cost is a factor too; semiautos tend to cost a bit more and are harder to add "extended" magazines to.

After having said all that; I really like the old Browning Auto 5 s and the lightweight Franchi (...they are recoil operated...). We have a Browning A500 (...it's a recoil operated type semiauto too; the "problem"-- if it is a "problem" is that they were Browning's "last gasp" at building an "improved" autoloader before they started the new stuff. The other is that they were made in spain (...i think...). That meant the "Hardcore Browning Worshippers" distained them, and wouldn't buy them -- mine works great!!...) sitting in one of the downstairs corners of our house right now. It's a great shotgun and has functioned reliably with everything we have put thru it. It is deadly fast and totally reliable. I've tried to "trick" it by loading light target loads right along with high speed buckshot. It simply doesnt care; it shoots em all. The down side (...if you can call it a down side...) is it only holds 5 rounds (...including one in the spout...), but it's fast handling and dead reliable. I'm looking for a "lightly used, lovingly cared for A5 now" to make another semiauto homesweeper. A semiauto HD shotgun aint a bad idea.

Hoep this helps.

Leroy

Edited by leroy
Guest Halfpint
"I don't use a pump to scare somebody, I use a pump to shoot somebody."

^ THIS ^ :up:

MacGyver and leroy's posts pretty much said 90% of what I was going to say -- leroy's even had a good gun-history lesson!

Everybody has pretty much hit the nail on the head -- cost versus reliability, basically. I've been rocking an 870 for years, while my mom has been using my old 1100 LT-20 as a home-defense shotgun pretty much since I brought it back from Texas. I love pump guns, for the simple fact that I can run one like a house on fire and it will cycle everything from 1-1/2" target/cowboy popper loads to 3" slugs in the same mag tube -- a fun mix by the way.

I've seen a lot of semi-auto HD shotguns come into the store lately -- some have been former field-guns hacked down to 18" barrels, one didn't even have a bead on it. A lot of guys I've seen are using their old hunting guns with a new barrel on them, evidenced by the scrollwork/engraving and old-style checkered wood stocks . . . some look good, some look like garbage, but the ones I've taken out and tested have all worked great. I've given thought to one for 3-gun shooting, I just can't be convinced to part with my 870.

I've been trained on the M4/M1014 shotgun by the Marine Corps and I have to say, it's a lot of friggin' fun . . . I just can't afford $1500 for a home-defense shotgun, and probably wouldn't spend it if I could. I love it, but it's just not for me. If the Corps is paying for it, I'll run one all day long and love it like it's my own; just don't ask me to swap my 870 for it. I "could" gain a lot by switching to a different platform and eventually I might, but for now I choose to stick with what I've used since I could fire a gun. Lifelong familiarity and good training are a hard combo to beat, whatever your gun preference is.

:)

Semi-auto shotguns for defense can work absolutely awesome -- just gotta make sure it's dead-nuts reliable first. After that, get some training with your weapon of choice, practice, and keep it loaded and accessible. :) And, of course, post pics of whatever you're running.

Guest clownsdd

Aside from home defense, the main reason I use a pump (also have o/u, & autos) is WAAAAAY back in the days when sg shells were paper, rather than plastic, when we were duck hunting, the paper shells would swell and jam in some autos. My dad and brothers used autos and had problems until the advent of the plastic shells. My pump was a little harder to pump, but no jams. This may be the reason pumps are still preferred, though most "youngsters" may not realize it.

Benelli M2 is absolutely the bomb. Expensive as hell, but extremely reliable and very handy in close quarters. I'm with McGuyver on this one... shoot the Benelli and it'll change the way you look at all other shotguns.

Some time back, I ran across a Remington M11 in 16ga with a bad muzzle. Easy fix; cut the barrel to 18" and remount the bead. I only got to take it to the range once. My wife fired it and immediately said "Mine!" So now it's her primary home defense weapon. I've also got another M11 in 12ga with a shorter barrel. I think it's a great HD weapon, but still prefer the FN FAL under the bed.