Well, just one day to go.

mav

The new Harry Potter movie is coming out Friday. Anyone planning on going this weekend or taking their kids?

Being a Harry Potter fan, I will probably go this weekend to see it. After reading some of the reviews on IMDB, it sounds promising. I hope it is better than the Half-Blood Prince. It was good, but I thought they savaged the novel with that one.

Out of all the movies thus far, I would rank them from best to worst:

Prisoner of Azkaban

Goblet of Fire

Order of the Phoenix

The Sorcerer's Stone

Chamber of Secrets

The Half Blood Prince.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a picture of a late thirties balding man @ Chipotle in Green Hills. He is wearing a Harry Potter quidditch jersey while reading a Harry Potter book in a place full of young children. I took his picture because I had a creepy feeling about him.

img1084fr.jpg

I here ya. That much of a HP fan I am not. I had never seen a Harry Potter movie until the fourth one came out. I watched it on tv and thought it was pretty good. I found a used copy of the Chamber of Secrets and decided to read it to see what all the fuss was about. I thought it was quite enjoyable, so I went and bought all of them. It is not my normal reading material, but I found them highly entertaining.

By the way, what does "....." mean? I have seen that posted several times.

I liked the movies. I have always enjoyed watching them with the kids. I liked the books much more. As is usual, movies based on books, the books are usually better. I started reading them to my kids before they read. In the later books my daughter anyway was old enough to read them for herself. You can tell Rowling wrote them for an aging fan base as each book was a bit more complex and much darker than the previous. They have a great deal of real British history, folklore and mythology woven into them, especially the later books. And I agree they absolutely butchered a couple of the books in the movie that followed.

Like with MAV it isn't my normal reading style. Growing up I always enjoyed CS Lewis, Chesterton, Tolkein, so I had to give these a chance. I will see this latest movie eventually, but won't be there on the first day like my wife and kids will be.

i love the books, but i've never been able to get excited about the movies. IMHO they were pretty poorly made at first and have gotten only a little better. if they had done it peter-jackson-lord-of-the-rings-style, those movies could have been classic.

While I am more of a Tolkien fan, I find Rowling to be quite an author and a success story in her own right. I have been a fan of the HP series since I read the first book, as is my wife. We will go see the Deathly Hallows, but will wait a couple to three weeks.

i love the books, but i've never been able to get excited about the movies. IMHO they were pretty poorly made at first and have gotten only a little better. if they had done it peter-jackson-lord-of-the-rings-style, those movies could have been classic.

I dont understand this post... I will give full disclosure and say that while deployed I ran out of books and someone had the first HP book. I read a 1/4 or so of it and it seemed just like the damn movie to me. I mean just like.

I dont understand this post... I will give full disclosure and say that while deployed I ran out of books and someone had the first HP book. I read a 1/4 or so of it and it seemed just like the damn movie to me. I mean just like.

maybe i'm just a stickler, i guess. i thought LOTR brought the books to life. i was amazed the first time i saw the mines of moria. the potter movies seem like quick hollywood, turn-a-buck renditions. of course you getting the point of view of a life-long fantasy/sci-fi reader so i could be pickier than most.

That first one and part of another I am sure is all I have ever seen though.

You ought to read all of them. As I stated in my earlier post, it is definitely not my normal reading material, but they are fantastic. The first two HP novels and movies are definitely geared towards kids. With each progressive novel, the theme becomes darker shifting it more to a teenager audience. The last two novels in the series are very dark and IMHO definitely not for young kids.

That is one thing I have to give JK Rowling, she has written a series in which the writing style changes as the characters grow in age. I am amazed at the talent it takes for such an undertaking.

Have not read the books nor seen any of the movies, well a whole one anyway. Just not interested, and the kids have not been interested. Maybe I should start from the beginning and watch the first movie. They sure are popular. Guy I talked with tonight had his tickets and was going to the first showing which I guess was at midnight.