Buying a new shotgun for HD?

Guest firemedic J

Just got one today at Dick's. Was looking for a 2nd HD shotgun so I can have one on each level of the house (just cuz I'm paranoid doesn't mean Memphis isn't dangerous).

$206 out the door with tax and background check.

Can anyone confirm that the stocks fit 870? I was thinking about getting a Knoxx recoil reduction stock with pistol grip.

Yes, the stocks and forend are compatible with the Remington 870. The trigger group is as well. That means triggers, stocks, forends, magazine tubes, sidesaddles and heat shields will work.

The barrel is not compatible.

The magazine extension tube is compatible, but a word of warning. A +2 will be too long on the NEF 18.5" barrel. The NEF magazine tube is longer than the 870s, which means a +2 will stick about an inch past the barrel.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RichieRich
Yes, the stocks and forend are compatible with the Remington 870. The trigger group is as well. That means triggers, stocks, forends, magazine tubes, sidesaddles and heat shields will work.

The barrel is not compatible.

The magazine extension tube is compatible, but a word of warning. A +2 will be too long on the NEF 18.5" barrel. The NEF magazine tube is longer than the 870s, which means a +2 will stick about an inch past the barrel.

Thanks so much. Hopefully you didn't learn about the non-compatibility the hard way.

Thanks so much. Hopefully you didn't learn about the non-compatibility the hard way.

No, I have just done a lot of reading. There is a guy on several boards that goes by the name of MAX100, he knows a lot about them and has test fit most pieces and modified several of them. If you google "NEF Pardner Pump Protector" you will be sure to find some of his posts. I think lately I have been reading about some bad deals with him on Glocktalk, however, regardless of his business practices, he has championed the guns.

Guest RichieRich
No, I have just done a lot of reading. There is a guy on several boards that goes by the name of MAX100, he knows a lot about them and has test fit most pieces and modified several of them. If you google "NEF Pardner Pump Protector" you will be sure to find some of his posts. I think lately I have been reading about some bad deals with him on Glocktalk, however, regardless of his business practices, he has championed the guns.

This forum is great. I learn so much and really appreciate how everyone in this "community" is so willing to help each other. Thank you.

Guest blairellis

Just picked up a Mossberg 590A1 today for HD. Looks like this:

51411.jpg

Need to buy an extension so I can add a few more rounds to the mix. Anyone know where to look for a good deal on an extension tube? Thanks!

Edited by blairellis

I don't begrudge anyone a nice HD shotty. In fact, if you can afford it, go for it. But I just couldn't see tying up a lot of moula in something that is just going to sit in the corner. All I was looking for was something that I could count on if the SHTF.

Guest Guy N. Cognito

If you rely on a shotgun for self defense, then you should train with it on a regular basis. Personally, I put about 200 rounds per year through my shotguns. Despite what many think, shotguns require a lot of training to operate properly and consistently in self defense situations. When you think about putting a shotgun that kind of use, it's easy to justify spending another $50 to get a time tested and battle proven brand.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
Just picked up a Mossberg 590A1 today for HD. Looks like this:

51411.jpg

Need to buy an extension so I can add a few more rounds to the mix. Anyone know where to look for a good deal on an extension tube? Thanks!

I really want to get one of these. Mossberg builds some great shotguns, and the tang-mounted safety can easily be operated by us wrong-handers.

Guest smileyguy

First, I gotta say you can't go wrong with a mossy, remy, or benneli pump. Go handle them and get what fits you best. I'm a fan of the mossy personaly.

Second, don't let some of the bashing scare you off of the cheap Chicom 870 clones. I have a Hawk 982. It's basically the same as the Pardner Protector, but it comes with ghost ring sights, which I prefer on a HD shotgun. I got bashed at the gun show when I bought it. But you know what, to hell with them. After having my house broke into and being robbed (luckily no guns taken, only TVs), I moved my $500 shotgun to the safe. I wanted a cheap bedside gun that I wouldn't mind being stolen. I've never seen these great deals on used American guns everone talks about, at least not in a tactical set up with GR sights. So, I bought a Chicom gun. It's every bit as good a remy express model, and it was only $200.

Lastly, there's been good points about the 20 gauge. I've recommended them to some women I know. It's a good option if you/spouse are recoil sensitive.

Guest firemedic J

Just got a Mossberg 500 (50578) the parkerized version, haven't shot it yet but it looks and feels good. Thanks for all the opinions and suggestions.