Jeep Wrangler Advice?

Guest Lester Weevils

Guest Lester Weevils

My 17 year old van with 77,000 miles is still running fine (I don't drive much). But it probably needs to be retired as a backup wood-hauler and a newer vehicle purchased. I expect future inflation, so cars are probably about as cheap right now as they will ever get in the future.

Looking for a short wheel base vehicle that sits up high, has good all-around window visibility and looks good, Jeep Wrangler looks like the one. I drove one and it drives fine. Haven't been able to get enthusiastic about other similar vehicles, and have looked at all the available models.

Its unlikely the Wrangler will get driven thru too much mud or over too many rocks. Though occasionally it might get into the woods.

There is about a $10,000 price span between the low end and high end Wranglers.

Base Wrangler Sport has 16" wheels.

Wrangler Sport S has 17" wheels.

Wrangler Sahara has 18" wheels.

For ordinary street driving with very rare bad weather or dirt roads, how important is wheel size? Would an 18" wheel model ride significantly smoother on asphalt and potholes?

I'm not looking for a luxury smooth ride or I'd be looking at some other kind of vehicle. I don't care for fancy vehicles or wouldn't have been driving a base model van for 17 years.

But on the other hand, a big complaint with the old Van is that it rides like a dern buckboard on pothole roads. Dad's late-model crew cab GMC pickup rides like a cadillac compared to my van.

My test-drive on the Wrangler was quite acceptable as far as "smooth ride" goes. Think it had 17" wheels. Just wondering if 18" wheels are even more desirable?

If I get a Wrangler will keep it until if falls into a rust heap in the driveway, so if there is something really special about 18" wheels, wouldn't want to buy 16" or 17" wheels and then regret it for years to come. :lol:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mustangdave

the only thing i could remotely add to this is....don't get the long wheel base version...and 18's would probably allow you more options from a wheel and tire point of view.

Base Wrangler Sport has 16" wheels.

Wrangler Sport S has 17" wheels.

Wrangler Sahara has 18" wheels.

For ordinary street driving with very rare bad weather or dirt roads, how important is wheel size? Would an 18" wheel model ride significantly smoother on asphalt and potholes?

My test-drive on the Wrangler was quite acceptable as far as "smooth ride" goes. Think it had 17" wheels. Just wondering if 18" wheels are even more desirable?

If I get a Wrangler will keep it until if falls into a rust heap in the driveway, so if there is something really special about 18" wheels, wouldn't want to buy 16" or 17" wheels and then regret it for years to come. :up:

Functionally, there's no difference between the sizes. For normal driving, the larger wheel diameter (and proportionally shorter/stiffer tire side-wall and increased unsprung mass) will make the ride worse, if anything. There's also a considerable difference in cost between 16" tires and 18" tires (larger tires = more $$).

Unless you just like the look of the bigger wheels, I'd seek out one with 16" wheels. YMMV.

Lester:_________________

We are jeep guys at my house and always have been. They are a great thing. I heartily recommend your looking at and picking out the one you like. RE: Wheels. There are those who will tell you that it's only a matter of time until the 15 and 16 inch tire sizes disappear. I think that is exactly right; you can see it happening in the 15 inch tire sizes now.

I like the 17 inch wheels because there are lots of tires that will fit it now. With a jeep; i simply cant tell any difference in ride no matter the tire size. The biggest difference (...read that "improvement in ride" for the jeep...) i can tell is the use of coil springs in the front of the jeep (...that started somewhere around 1997, i think...); that does make a big difference in jeep rideability. The son's jeep is a 2000 wrangler sahra 5 speed inline 6 hardtop (...which i heartily recommend; the jeep gets cold in winter...); and has a 3 inch lift with 35 by 15 inch Dick Cepek tires.

It is smooth, but you can feel it squirm on the road. The bigger rim diameters cut the sidewall flex down and lessen this "squirming". It's important to note, however, that this "squirming" happens during 'highway speeds" when changing lanes or running over the crown of the roadway (....about 65 to 70 mph....). It is noticeable, but aint a big deal. It is nonexistant at "normal" backroad and dirt road speeds.

Hope this helps.

Leroy

Guest coldblackwind

My parents have had a couple wranglers, neat vehicles, but I would absolutely hate to drive one as a daily driver. Fun on the weekends, but they get to be work to drive after a while. Longevity wise, they'll never die. Off road they're great. In snow, they are absolutely horrible, take it from a former western New Yorker, they're hopeless in snow. I wouldn't necessarily reccomend against one, but drive them a bit before you decide, in my experience they get old as a daily driver. As for the wheels, what they said, bigger wheel, more expensive tires, and worse ride.

I've got a 2000 TJ that I drive every day. I'd rather be in my Jeep than drive my wife's CRV.

As for driving in snow, my experience is the Jeep will go just about anywhere. They have a short wheel base, so you have to be careful - if they decided to get sideways you are probably going all the way around. Take your time, go slow, and you shouldn't have any problem in the snow.

Do plenty of research before you buy one. There are differences between the YJ (82?-95), TJ(96-06), and JK (07-up). Each model has its own almost religious following.

Love love love my 09 JKU. It has 17" wheels. It rides better than my old 99 Grand Cherokee, it will ride better than the 2-door you are looking at, not by much, but a little. I've put @22k on the odometer in a year and a half, put 200 on it today, another 100 miles before I get home tonight. Drove to New Orleans, Louisville, KY and Houston TX among many other shorter trips. I STILL smile everyday when I walk out to it. I hate driving and riding in others. It dang near rides as good as our minivan.

They say they are underpowered I really don't notice it, they AR a little louder, but you can take the freaking top off...and doors. Some do leak water, especially in the soft tops, I have the hard top, no leaks and I have "t-tops" or as Jeep calls them, freedom tops.

Expense. Low to high. 15's, 16's, 17"s then 18's.

Selection: more selection with the smaller sizes. 18's have less. (this statement is in regards to off-road and real all-terrain tires)

The base wrangler has the 16's least expensive, the Sport (former-ally the X model) comes with 17's, the Sahara comes with 18's and the Rubicon come with 17's. The Sahara and the Rubicon are the most expensive model, depending on options. The Rubicon comes with other stuff like lower low-range gears, electronic disconnects, and lockers.

I enjoy driving, whether in the city, on trips, short or long trips. I actually look forward to driving, just as much today as I did when I bought it.

Guest Lester Weevils

Thanks all for the great advice. Dunno much about autos.

Several web pages offer advice to test drive a wrangler because some people don't like the ride. Have driven vans and pickups for decades and I like riding high and enjoy the feel of a truck. The Wrangler test drive seemed pretty easy driving and felt like driving a tiny truck. The ride and handling seemed fine for my tastes.

Closest competition was a Subaru Forester. It is a tight high-quality little vehicle, but just can't get enthusiastic about it.

Currently am thinking 17" wheels that are standard on a Wrangler Sport S. The base Sport with 16" wheels doesn't have Air Conditioning, so it looks about as cheap to get a Sport S (AC standard) compared to adding AC to a base Sport.

Main gotta-have addons are Auto Transmission and Hard Top. I prefer manual transmission but had to quit driving manual transmission after herniating a disk.

Its nice that a Wrangler can still have non-power windows and locks. Ain't dead-set against power winders, but it is just something else that can break. Have got along fine so far without power winders.

Fancy stereo and GPS seems not worth the money. Just something else that will wear out or go obsolete.

The biggest possible money sink would be mopar eye-candy. Chrome this and that. A few dang pieces of chrome costs more than power winders!

Edited by Lester Weevils

Stay away from chrome, this ain't a Harley!

They aren't Caddy's but they aren't suppose to be! That complaint that people say about the ride cracks me up.

I got power windows, but with my job, taking a lot of pictures from my Jeep, the power winders is nice.

I've had 4 CJ 5's loved them but got away from them because of interstate commute and I do some boat towing 6,000 to 10,000 lbs. Short wheel base makes this a little scary. No way would I tow much weight with a jeep. Mine were stripped no freels and I loved 'em just hose the inside out and good to go. I also would check the FJ out no 1st hand experience but look pretty neat.

What's wrong with my chrome db? They sling mud just as well as any other wheel.

Chrome in most off road circles are from the past. It was popular in the past but is no longer. Of course, it goes back to personal preference.

Have you considered the Toyota FJ Cruiser instead?

Would be a great other choice, the whole Suburau thing, when I see one, the first thing I think of is a liberal in the upper northwest.

The only problem with the FJ is the visibility, which the OP mentioned that he was looking for. The FJ, in my opinion, has limited visibility, especially on the rear side passenger side, but my experience is limited, never driven one, just looked at them. The engine in the FJ's are nice, they are very capable rigs. They do have IFS and without getting into a solid axle vs IFS debate, which I understand and is not an issue for typical drivers, I personally don't like the complexity of the IFS systems due to my personal experiences with other vehicles having issues. The FJ's, do look good, especially like yours Dave, lifted a bit, some tires and that bumper is awesome.

Edited by db99wj

With all that I have said I do want to mention and make clear some things.

This Jeep is not a luxury vehicle, but is is very tolerable and the benefits outweigh the negatives. I had the top off for 4 weeks in September and October and it was fantastic. It almost rained two days and I drove a Lincoln 4-door pick up truck (dolled up F-150) and my Jeep rode as good and even a little better than that. I had forgotten how much feedback you get on bumps from the light rear end. I have never driven a 2-door version of the new body style, 07-11. It was never a choice for me due to the size of my family. The 2-door only has room for 4 people, whereas the Unlimited has seating for 5 and a ton of cargo space. I even added a jumpseat in the back so that I can get all my family in it. The plastic dash material is soft, got several scratches on it especially on the glove box, thanks to my daughter and her duffel bag. However, I was in a 2010 or 2011 (brand new) Tahoe yesterday and the dash material was very similiar in softness. It already had a scratches on it from a spiral notebook. I will, when funds allow, replace the glove box on mine with a Tuffy security box. Tuffy also makes a concealed carry box that installs under the driver seat mounts and has a slide out drawer that is keyed, designed especially for CC. As I mentioned, one of the biggest complaints from the Jeep enthusiasts is the underpowered motor. For me, it has not been an issue, and I came from a 4.7L V8. It lacks power in passing at higher speeds, but again, it is really not an issue, I'm not in a hurry anymore. The hardtops will creek a bit, but they are a modular hardtop with 3 pieces, the front two pieces can be removed with the rear on, the rear removed and the front two put on, you can even just have one of the fronts on if you prefer. You have to take care of the seals in order to keep it leak free, just like any other removeable top. The soft top is louder, and will leak if not properly maintained and installed as well. When raining, the rain gutter will pour water, right at the outer edge of the front door, so that when you get in and out, you will possibly get water on your leg. I have had one issue, under warranty, and it was with the intermediate steering shaft, which causes a "bump" feeling in the steering. They replaced it, and it is doing it again after 3 months of driving. Which leads me to believe there is a subpar part being used. Some have had custom ones made, others have shot some 5th wheel axle grease into the boot and have solved the problem. The tires that come on them are more or less "aggressive" street tires. The 17's come with Goodyear SRA's which are ok on the road and that's about it. Not sure what the 16" come with but they are even less "aggressive" as the SRA's. The 18's come with Bridgestone AT's which are a little better tire than the GY's, but still not very aggressive looking and more or less a street tire. The Rubicon's come with BF Goodrich MT's, which are an aggressive mud tire, but are in the mid range of good off road tires.

People that typically complain about them buy them because they are a convertible Jeep, how fun, then realize it doesn't drive like their car. They do drive and ride a ton better than previous models, especially the old leaf sprung models of the YJ and CJ's, but they are not a car, they are built on a frame with a short wheel base. Towing is limited, so check that especially if you tow something large. The 2-door with 3.73 gears, Auto, has a towing capacity of GCWR of 6,051, Max trailer weight of 2,000 lbs, and a tongue weight of 200lbs. The 4 door same as above on gears and auto, has a GCWR of 7,932, max trailer of 3,500lbs, and a tongue weight of 350lbs. So small trailers, smaller boats, jet ski's will be fine, but dual axle, larger boats, and heavy trailer loads, are not good with these, especially in a 2-door with the shorter wheel base.

The aftermarket for these things are unlimited......well I guess it is limited to what your wallet can handle!

I plan on driving mine until the wheels fall off, then I'll buy a new set of wheels.

Hope this helps.

Edited by db99wj

I have a 2008 jku rubicon and I like it. I can't comment on the 2door jeeps other than to say I test drove one with my wife and two kids in it and went with the 4 door. It has wound up being very practical for my needs. The 17" wheels help it to handle the curves better since there is less sidewall to flex, tires being the same overall size and all. I am going to guess there is less rotational weight as well with more rim/less tire, but I am not sure on this.

Sorry I'm not MTV generation so I could care less about what is cool or a thing of the past. Each to their own, girls don't seem to mind my chrome hahaha. But if want to smash others choices I remember laughing at Jk I saw at black mountain stuck we drove right by a few months ago. Now back to the ops topic--- jeeps are fine vehicles stock no matter what model. For everyday driver keep it stock or at least stock suspension and it will be low cost, few issues and a fine everyday driver.

FJ cruisers are good all purpose vehicles also. However limited visaability and a lot of plastic on the body. Subaru's rock in the snow-----do your research on jeeps. Lots of forums and stuff to read up on. They aren't for everyone.

Edited by Krull
What's wrong with my chrome db? They sling mud just as well as any other wheel.
Have you considered the Toyota FJ Cruiser instead?
Sorry I'm not MTV generation so I could care less about what is cool or a thing of the past. Each to their own, girls don't seem to mind my chrome hahaha. But if want to smash others choices I remember laughing at Jk I saw at black mountain stuck we drove right by a few months ago. Now back to the ops topic--- jeeps are fine vehicles stock no matter what model. For everyday driver keep it stock or at least stock suspension and it will be low cost, few issues and a fine everyday driver.

FJ cruisers are good all purpose vehicles also. However limited visaability and a lot of plastic on the body. Subaru's rock in the snow-----do your research on jeeps. Lots of forums and stuff to read up on. They aren't for everyone.

Read my post in response to your question, I didn't "smash others choices", as I said, I gave the reason, and even said it's personal preference . Chrome isn't as popular as it was in the past, especially CJ's and YJ's. If yours works for you and you like it great, but I'm not going to hold back on MY opinion, and many others opinion on chrome, even if "offends" someone. If you could care less about the "cool" factor or "thing of the past", good for you, but as I said, I'm not holding back on something when asked, nor am I holding back when giving my opinion. I stand by my comment. Hope you helped the fellow Jeeper get unstuck, oh wait, you said you laughed at them. Nice. You are sounding like a TJ elitist. You probably don't wave either.

My 89 YJ had a very similar Smittybuilt chrome tube rear bumper, chrome front bumper, Chrome Grill, Chrome Nerf bars, they were shiny, also had a 2" lift with 32's, man I loved that Jeep back in the early 90's.

A little more on the Chrome, for the OP's benefit. Chrysler/Jeep offers a chrome package, which is a hugely overpriced package, if you are to go that route, go to the aftermarket. They also have or had a black tie, a lift option as well. They are, for the most part overpriced.

The Jeep community is typically strong, especially in the CJ, YJ, TJ, JK and even other the models, like the XJ, WJ but those guys are typically ones that have modded theirs. We wave at each other, we stop and help each other. The community use to be stronger, but the models have become pretty popular and the history has been watered down. Similarly to Harley guys, Corvette guys, etc. It is more than a vehicle to get to point A to point B. If you are in to that kind of thing, so if you buy one, that is why other Jeep Wrangler owners are waving at you as you pass them going down the road... well at least most of them.

Lol don't take it personal....I post a pic of my TJ and you tell someone to avoid chrome. Sounds like you were cutting on my jeep. Avoid the chrome you say....well I have seen some pink and purple jeeps but I didn't tell the drivers they looked like Charlie Rangles suits or snoop dogs pants. Why because if it is what they like good for them. The gentleman asked about a jeep...I gave my opinion since I have owned one for the last 16 years in one form or another. No offense taken regardless. I work on my own jeep and have added all the accesories myself. Thought I might be able to help answer his questions.

Ps the jk was empty--- once again adding your opinion. What did you think I gunned it ----sloshed mud on him and shot him the bird as I went by??? Oh wait you don't know me so guess you wouldn't assume.

Edited by Krull
Lol don't take it personal....I post a pic of my TJ and you tell someone to avoid chrome. Sounds like you were cutting on my jeep. Avoid the chrome you say....well I have seen some pink and purple jeeps but I didn't tell the drivers they looked like Charlie Rangles suits or snoop dogs pants. Why because if it is what they like good for them. The gentleman asked about a jeep...I gave my opinion since I have owned one for the last 16 years in one form or another. No offense taken regardless. I work on my own jeep and have added all the accesories myself. Thought I might be able to help answer his questions.

Ps the jk was empty--- once again adding your opinion. What did you think I gunned it ----sloshed mud on him and shot him the bird as I went by??? Oh wait you don't know me so guess you wouldn't assume.

Not taking it personal, I just stand by my opinion. I do like to pick fun at friends though, like "Chrome won't get you home" No I didn't make that up myself. It was not a cut against your TJ. Personal preferences aside, I like your Jeep. I, as you, also work on my Jeep and have installed accessories on my others, including lift kits. I bought my first on in 1990.

Your words: "I remember laughing at Jk I saw at black mountain stuck we drove right by a few months ago." Therefore, I was not adding my opinion. As for the rest about gunning it and sloshing mud on him while shooting the bird, If I would have typed that, that would be an assumption.

Seriously, don't get offended because I said no chrome, really, it's not that big of a deal, and as I mentioned, it is a personal preference. MY BIL has a Yellow TJ, big lift, loud as hell 33" Buckshot mudders, I make fun of his 28" spare all the time! It's all in good fun. He makes fun of mine because of the paint, the stock tires, electric windows. Then I make fun of him because I can fit 33's without any lift!

Any more take to PM's or drop it, don't want to hijack this thread anymore.

Edited by db99wj