Gun lube trigger job

Guest KCSTEVE

Guest KCSTEVE

Gun lubrication is a basic part of cleaning and maintenance. But I have stumbled upon a slick trick that I wanted to share. I have been using fishing reel oil on my guns. The high tech oils are fantastic. Namely Hot Sauce and Reel Butter. One drop placed on the sear will improve the trigger action remarkably. It's like a trigger job in a bottle.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KCSTEVE

Oh knock it off! I can tell that you do not fish. Any fishing gear store will have this stuff. It's fishing reel oil. And no I do not sell it. The fishing industry developed this stuff for high speed ceramic bearings that turn in excess of 30,000 rpm. Ask a Bass fisherman for a drop and you will be amazed.

Edited by KCSTEVE

Oh, I do fish. I just don't go buy the "latest and greatest, high speed, low drag" whatever that comes down the pike.

Just looked this product up online. It had better be good for what they charge for it. At $8 an ounce, that works out to over $1000 a gallon! Somebody is making a killing by some marketing.

Edited by Westwindmike
Guest Archminister01

LOL....I dont remember him writing that is was cheap, just that it worked amazingly well. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Either way, there is nothing wrong with sharing information and it isn't like your being made to buy it. Thanks for sharing the information, I appreciate it.

Guest KCSTEVE

I don't know if you can buy this oil in gallon containers. Oh wait, you have another agenda, don't you?

On second thought, with the money that you saved buying that Taurus, you could buy lots of oil. Ha!

It's just oil. Lighten up!

Edited by KCSTEVE
Guest drv2fst
At $8 an ounce, that works out to over $1000 a gallon! Somebody is making a killing by some marketing.

OP said use ONE DROP on the trigger. Either you have a million guns that need a drop OR ... I think you will find that KY has a better selection of oils for your needs.

:D

Guest KCSTEVE

Unless you are sustaining long bursts of automatic fire, the trigger and sear should not get hot enough to boil off the oil.

But wouldn't that be fun trying! I have only used it on revolvers and pistols. A syringe and needle works good for application.

Guys that don't bass fish have no idea just how expensive good baitcasters really are, yeah I use a syringe too, on my tupperwear I use FP 10, CLP on my wheelguns.

Guest KCSTEVE

Can anybody else remember when WD-40 was high tech?

I never gave it much thought as to the price of gun oil per gallon. That's akin to Flu shots per gallon or potato chips per ton.

I did see that Wilson Combat sells some high tech gun oil for $6.39 per 10cc. I bet you could oil a lawn mower with that stuff and it would cut the grass all by itself!

Guest tnxdshooter

I have heard of people taking guns apart and spraying the action really thouroughly with flitz and then dry firing it a thousand or so times and they claim it makes a better action job than you can get from a gun smith but I find that real hard to believe.

Can anybody else remember when WD-40 was high tech?

I never gave it much thought as to the price of gun oil per gallon. That's akin to Flu shots per gallon or potato chips per ton.

I did see that Wilson Combat sells some high tech gun oil for $6.39 per 10cc. I bet you could oil a lawn mower with that stuff and it would cut the grass all by itself!

Yep, and I've seen the outcome of people who used it to lubricate their firearms. When I worked for a gun shop, I saw several guns come through the door with functioning problems caused by the WD-40 that had reacted to the heat and turned it into a thick glaze kind of like shellac.

Guest tnxdshooter
Yep, and I've seen the outcome of people who used it to lubricate their firearms. When I worked for a gun shop, I saw several guns come through the door with functioning problems caused by the WD-40 that had reacted to the heat and turned it into a thick glaze kind of like shellac.

Yup,

My grandpa cleaned his 1930 model nickel plated 38 special with it and it totally gunked the gun up and completely locked it up. He had to detail strip it and completely re clean it using the conventional gun oils/cleaners and then relube.

Guest tnxdshooter
Only thing WD-40's good for is starting fluid. You can even pull the plug wires off. I'm gonna try some of that oil he mentioned just for kicks. Thanks.

Not the only thing. I have used it to remove the adhesive off windshields from stickers people put on there. I have used it to clean black streaks off leather, etc.

Guest KCSTEVE

Speaking again about WD-40, it's original purpose was water a dispersant (WD). The formula was developed on the 40th try for NASA.

I agree, it never has been much of a lubricant or rust preventative. What I do like about it is the smell.

I once read that some people have has success using it to relieve arthritis.

Guest drv2fst
Not the only thing. I have used it to remove the adhesive off windshields from stickers people put on there. I have used it to clean black streaks off leather, etc.

It cleans stainless steel appliances really well also.

Guest tnxdshooter
Speaking again about WD-40, it's original purpose was water a dispersant (WD). The formula was developed on the 40th try for NASA.

I agree, it never has been much of a lubricant or rust preventative. What I do like about it is the smell.

I once read that some people have has success using it to relieve arthritis.

My grandpa uses it for insect repellent. He says it works damn good.

Guest tnxdshooter
It cleans stainless steel appliances really well also.

That it does. It also seems to remove black streaks from road grime on the side of my white car.

Guest Lester Weevils

Web reading about hobby metal lathe and mill operation, you have to keep the work "wet" for cooling and lube. By occasionally spritzing the work surface with lube if you don't have an auto-coolant system.

They say to use WD-40 or kerosene. Implying that WD-40 is basically glorified kerosene.

This official FAQ site says that WD-40 ain't kerosene, though apparently for some uses it is functionally equivalent. :up:

WD-40 Frequently Asked Questions

"What does WD-40 stand for?

WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed WD-40 back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion-a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula on his 40th try. Please see Our History for more information.

What does WD-40 contain?

While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents."

Guest tnxdshooter
Web reading about hobby metal lathe and mill operation, you have to keep the work "wet" for cooling and lube. By occasionally spritzing the work surface with lube if you don't have an auto-coolant system.

They say to use WD-40 or kerosene. Implying that WD-40 is basically glorified kerosene.

This official FAQ site says that WD-40 ain't kerosene, though apparently for some uses it is functionally equivalent. :D

WD-40 Frequently Asked Questions

"What does WD-40 stand for?

WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed WD-40 back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion-a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula on his 40th try. Please see Our History for more information.

What does WD-40 contain?

While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents."

I used to use kerosene to clean carbuerators.