S&W 637 "Airweight"

Bubbatn

So I need your guys opinion on this gun. My mom currently has one(she bought it not really doing any research into guns and just went on what the gun dealer told her :) ). Anyways, Like the title says....It's a Smith 637 Airweight J-Frame(.38 SPL +P). A few months back(when I was researching my first handgun purchase), we went down to coalcreek on "ladies night" so she could shoot hers, and I could try out a few. Anyways, This was the first time my mom had even fired the gun, and first time I had as well. We got in there, my mom took one shot, and quick....she wouldn't shoot it anymore. So I gave it a try and my thought was WOW...this thing sucks to shoot. However like I said, that was the first time shooting a handgun, so I didn't really know.

But after having shot several 9mm's now and a few 40's, I took hers back up to norris with me yesterday, and I still don't like shooting that thing at all, and can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. Granted I was shooting the ammo the gunshop where she bought it sold her(Lawman .38 +P 158gr), so I think that +P ammo may have abit to do with it, but i'm just wondering if this really is a suitable gun for her?

I was thinking maybe different grips on it might help abit, but I don't know if it would be worth it, or if she just needs to look into another gun, and possibly something abit smaller caliber(however I still think a revolver would be fine...just maybe something abit easier for her to shoot). What do you guys think? And any suggestions?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Airweight revolvers are designed to be carried a lot and shot a little. I have a S&W 642 which is the concealed hammer version of the 637. The +p ammo is part of the problem. Get some standard 38 special target loads for the range. My 642 came with a set of hard rubber grips (Uncle Mikes I think). I replaced them with some Hogue soft rubber grips and that helped some with the recoil. You should take your mom to a range where you can rent several types of handguns or find an instructor who has several types of handguns to let her try so she can decide what she is comfortable with.

I have a 637, and absolutely HATE shooting it. I have the big Hogue grips on it now, and I still hate it with standard 38 loads. For comparison, I don't mind shooting my LCP at all, even though it's much snappier than my 9's or my 1911. The 637 is a joy to carry, but it sucks at the range.

I have a 637, and absolutely HATE shooting it. I have the big Hogue grips on it now, and I still hate it with standard 38 loads. For comparison, I don't mind shooting my LCP at all, even though it's much snappier than my 9's or my 1911. The 637 is a joy to carry, but it sucks at the range.

COMPLETELY AGREE. Bought a used 637 thinking it would be good for the older, weaker, arthritic right hand. Boy, was I wrong. But it's not too bad with Rabbi's 38 Plinky rounds.

You my friend have entered the love/hate world of the J-Frame. People love to carry them but hate to shoot them.

As others have said it was never intended to be a range gun. Yes, different grips will help handle the recoil but hurt the concealment factor. Watch the size you choose closely. We put some Pachmayr Compac grips on my wife’s 642 for a while and then she moved back to the factory for better concealment. I myself use S&W wood grips on my 642 and handle the recoil just fine. Everyone is different in their taste.

Yes, shooting +P loads the first time out was a big mistake. Back down to some lighter target loads to get more used to shooting the gun. There are some good defense loads that are standard pressure. Hornady Critical Defense has two loads, std and +P and they have very similar results so my wife carries the std load version.

As far as not hitting the broad side of a barn, it’s a close work gun and that’s how I practice. Note: Many of the defense loads don’t shoot point of aim so you must try different brands to find one that works for you. As others have said, the snubbie is meant to be carried a lot and shot just enough to maintain proficiency.

As a side note my wife also has an LCP for times she wants better concealment, so before you put to too much time in working with the this gun, have her fully explore carrying the gun on her body and see if it fits her typical mode of dress. This may not be the best gun for her just for that reason because if she can’t hide it she won’t carry it. For the most part women can’t hide guns as easily as men so they tend to want to use purse carry. I guess purse carry is better than no carry. Most defense experts don’t recommend it.

Good luck in your journey and let us know how it turns out.

I would definitely look at some aftermarket grips. Im not too familar with that model S&W, but some of the other that Ive fired that have the open backstrap open metal between the handle grips really sting when firing even standard 38 loads.

The Hogue Tamer grips on the LCR work great at helping absorb the recoil of .38 and .357 loads when fired. You might look into seeing if they make the Tamer for the S&W airweight.....

Those things kick like a SOB for little ladies. I would have her shoot one first. I think LCR may be a little better for the ladies. However I have never shot the LCR just going on second hand opinions. I bought my mom a .380 and it worked out ok for her. But the. You have an automatic VS revolver issue.

I would definitely look at some aftermarket grips. Im not too familar with that model S&W, but some of the other that Ive fired that have the open backstrap open metal between the handle grips really sting when firing even standard 38 loads.

The Hogue Tamer grips on the LCR work great at helping absorb the recoil of .38 and .357 loads when fired. You might look into seeing if they make the Tamer for the S&W airweight.....

Or tell her to sell me the S&W then go get her a Bodyguard, LCR or a Pocket style .380 auto like the LCP or KelTec P3AT!! LOL!!! ;)

You my friend have entered the love/hate world of the J-Frame. People love to carry them but hate to shoot them.

As others have said it was never intended to be a range gun. Yes, different grips will help handle the recoil but hurt the concealment factor. Watch the size you choose closely. We put some Pachmayr Compac grips on my wife’s 642 for a while and then she moved back to the factory for better concealment. I myself use S&W wood grips on my 642 and handle the recoil just fine. Everyone is different in their taste.

Yes, shooting +P loads the first time out was a big mistake. Back down to some lighter target loads to get more used to shooting the gun. There are some good defense loads that are standard pressure. Hornady Critical Defense has two loads, std and +P and they have very similar results so my wife carries the std load version.

As far as not hitting the broad side of a barn, it’s a close work gun and that’s how I practice. Note: Many of the defense loads don’t shoot point of aim so you must try different brands to find one that works for you. As others have said, the snubbie is meant to be carried a lot and shot just enough to maintain proficiency.

As a side note my wife also has an LCP for times she wants better concealment, so before you put to too much time in working with the this gun, have her fully explore carrying the gun on her body and see if it fits her typical mode of dress. This may not be the best gun for her just for that reason because if she can’t hide it she won’t carry it. For the most part women can’t hide guns as easily as men so they tend to want to use purse carry. I guess purse carry is better than no carry. Most defense experts don’t recommend it.

Good luck in your journey and let us know how it turns out.

I entered the love hate world of the J frame in the '70's. I had a model 36 that I regret selling to this day. Sure, it kicked harder than my service size revolvers, but it didn't have rediculous recoil like my 637. I enjoyed shooting it even with the wood grips. Not saying the trade-off isn't worth it for some. Just not for me. I have too many other choices in my safe.

Thanks Guys, I realize this is not a range gun by any means, however it seems if its going to be use for self defense...that their should be some accuracy to it. And I know if I have a hard time handling it, I can definetly see how it would be rough for my mom. She doesn't really carry it with her much, and if she does...it would be in her purse, so weight isn't really a huge deal(lord knows all the crap in a womans purse weighs more than any handgun...lol). I think I am going to suggest her to look into something else. May have to go try out some more guns one day.

Thanks again!

Thanks Guys, I realize this is not a range gun by any means, however it seems if its going to be use for self defense...that their should be some accuracy to it. ...

Oh, unless you got a lemon, that little baby is about as accurate as any other snub nose revolver.

My guess is since you know you're gonna get stung, it's more a matter of recoil anticipation, lack of holding steady, including the "follow through"..

- OS

A J frame Smith and Wesson is a very accurate handgun. I suggest you get some soft rubber grips, some 110-130 grain standard velocity loads, or wadcutter target loads if you can find them, and go back to the range with a fresh look at it. Concentrate on the sight picture and trigger control. Letting a knowledgeable person stone the action would help as well. My wife carries a 37, whish is a blue version of your gun, and can amaze you with it. Never has she complained about recoil, and she's a small woman. It is really pretty comfortable to shoot with standard loads.

Well, Myself....I do know with those factory grips that I am definitely not comfortable shooting it.....I feel like its going to fly out of my hand. If it were mine, it might be different, but I don't feel different grips is going to make that much difference for my mom as far as the recoil goes. But before we look into something else, I may see about getting some lighter loads to try and see what she thinks. Thanks Guys.

I don't feel different grips is going to make that much difference for my mom as far as the recoil goes.

You are highly under estimating what grips can do. Below is a picture of the Pachmayr Compac grips we put on my wife's 642 for a period of time compared to the factory grips. You will note this grip cover the metal backstrap and have plenty of finger room to grip and even a pinky groove. It made a world of difference for my wife.

You put on a set of good grips and try lighter target rounds and she will be much happier.

3080836461_a24b3eb951_o.jpg

Target full wadcutters !!! Yep they'll stop a BD, get some, kind of hard to find, I'll look it up for you. Never intended to be a range gun, or target gun, IF... ya take the time to learn to shoot it and get some grips that fit your hand, you'd be very surprised at how well they will shoot, and all you j-frame haters,..... well ...it must not be too bad a gun since it's been the best selling revolver in the world for over 50 years !!!! It WILL save your life, at 10 to 15 feet you can count on it going off ( no tap, rack junk) and giving you a chance to get to safety !!! That's what it was made for, yeah the LCR has a better trigger than a standard j-frame ( but not better than a Ladysmith) , the question is will it hold up and last as long as the Smith, still to be determined ,remember this, there are more j-frame's in pockets, ankle-holsters, and nite-stands in America, than ANY other gun.Smith has sold almost a million of them, guess all of us are just "stupid" to by a gun we can't shoot or hit any thing with. Don't be fooled into think'n small autos are easier to shoot or to get good hits with. The only thing the salesman did wrong was sell the OP's mom the +P rounds.

I"m a little late finding this thread, but I'll add my two cents:

I bought a 637, used, with the full-sized Crimson Trace grips. Didn't really need it, but thought it was priced right.

Anyway, the better half took it away from me. She likes it. I mean, she REALLY likes it. Now I haven't bought her any +P ammo, but she's put about 200 - 300 rounds of target and SD ammo through it. She'll run through about 50 rounds at a time on the range, and then she'll decide that "that's about enough for today." For what it's worth, getting a set of grips that covers the backstrap helps on perceived recoil. And it's my opinion that the laser (out to about 15 feet, further if it's overcast) has done wonders for her confidence and her aim. And remember that the J-frame is NOT a "target" model. It is, simply, a self-defense weapon.

Just my experience, but nearly anything with any "punch" in an easy-to-carry size will be much less pleasant on the range than a larger gun. But if she's plain unable to handle a SD caliber, let her start out with a .22 --- at least until she builds confidence and gets some time with a pistol or revolver. Beretta and Taurus make a neat little .22 with a pop-up barrel that allows for chambering without having to work a slide. Worked with the wife, and now she's put the Beretta 21A back in the safe and carries the 637 --- IWB or in a belly band. I wouldn't recommend purse carry - check out Packin Mama's threads, and read her experience with having her purse stolen, with her gun in it ...

Again, just my :lol:.

Guest Law of Thirds

See, I'm not sure why people complain about the recoil out of a .38 J-Frame. I've got a 642 with the 2" power port barrel and even Buffalo Bore +p 158's don't really kick that much (158g @ 1000 fps chrono'd out of my 642, they're almost at 1100 out of my 19-3).

Still, it's not an easy gun to master the trigger control, try working up from 148g wadcutters to a cowboy load 158 to normal ammo to whatever you carry.