The Walking Dead.

• Administrator
As far as Shane and Rick's wife hooking up I don't really look at it like a soap opera drama, it's just one of those things that add to the realism. Whether her and Shane were together before or whether they are just together now because they think Rick is dead will be what adds to it.

I haven't read the graphic novels but my money is on the fact that Shane and skank were banging each other long before the zombie outbreak and before they thought Rick was dead. I seem to remember Rick relating that he and the wife were having some issues when he and Shane were eating lunch in their squad car at the first part of Episode 1. Besides, the wife doesn't seem to be mourning Rick very much... ya know?

Zombies everywhere and she's letting Shane bury her face in the leaves and twigs in the forest. Gotta keep procreating! As I said, "skank". I hope she ends up dead soon. :usa:

I agree. There were too many acts of stupidity committed in the show last night that distracted me and kept me from disengaging my brain and just enjoying it.

What are the odds that key to Michael Rooker's handcuffs is going down the one rather skinny open vent on the whole frigging roof?

- OS

I haven't read the graphic novels but my money is on the fact that Shane and skank were banging each other long before the zombie outbreak and before they thought Rick was dead. I seem to remember Rick relating that he and the wife were having some issues when he and Shane were eating lunch in their squad car at the first part of Episode 1. Besides, the wife doesn't seem to be mourning Rick very much... ya know?

Zombies everywhere and she's letting Shane bury her face in the leaves and twigs in the forest. Gotta keep procreating! As I said, "skank". I hope she ends up dead soon. :usa:

Yea I'm fairly certain it's an ongoing thing. She did seem to show a SMALL bit of remorse when she took the locket and the ring off, but not much. I know how it plays out in the comics thanks to some spoiling asshat on IMDB, but I'm waiting to see what they do on the show.

What are the odds that key to Michael Rooker's handcuffs is going down the one rather skinny open vent on the whole frigging roof?

- OS

Murphy's law? lol

Guest Lester Weevils

- OS

I don't know the odds, though from my experience when I drop a tiny screw off my workbench it seems very likely to somehow bounce&roll over to the other side of the room and hide under something heavy and difficult to move. :usa: If I don't have a replacement, the odds seem to favor the screw being lost entirely.

To say nothing of C clips and small springs...

Edited by Lester Weevils

- OS

Murphy's law? lol
I don't know the odds, though from my experience when I drop a tiny screw off my workbench it seems very likely to somehow bounce&roll over to the other side of the room and hide under something heavy and difficult to move. :usa: If I don't have a replacement, the odds seem to favor the screw being lost entirely.

To say nothing of C clips and small springs...

Good points.

I guess I wasn't thinking clearly. :P

- OS

Was it just me, or did anyone else notice the tattoo on Shane's chest that seemed to read 'Lori?'

I couldn't make it out clearly, but that is what it looked like, which would clearly imply this was an ongoing affair.

Walking-Dead-Episode-2-350x246.jpg

A thirteen episode second season of

The Walking Dead is ordered on the heels of 4.7 million total viewers and 3.3 million adults 18-49 (a 2.5 rating) for the second episode.

via press release:

AMC RESURRECTS “

The Walking Dead

FOR A SECOND SEASON

Biggest Series in Cable History

Among Adults 18-49

Network Greenlights 13-Episode Season of Hit Original Series

Biggest Global Original Series Debut on

Fox International Channels

(New York, NY – November 8, 2010) AMC announced today the renewal of “The Walking Dead” for a 13-episode second season. Since debuting Sunday, October 31, “The Walking Dead” has broken ratings records, with the series reaching more Adults 18-49 than any other show in the history of cable television.

Today’s announcement also includes Fox International Channels’ (FIC) global renewal for a second season, following record-breaking premiere ratings in 120 countries in Europe, Latin America, Asia and The Middle East. “The Walking Dead” was the highest-rated original series premiere ever to air on FIC simultaneously worldwide.

“The ‘Dead’ has spread!” said Charlie Collier, President, AMC. “No other cable series has ever attracted as many Adults 18-49 as ‘The Walking Dead.’ This reaffirms viewers’ hunger for premium television on basic cable. We are so proud to be bringing back ‘The Walking Dead’ again, across the globe.”

Ratings Highlights for The Walking DeadEpisode 2, which premiered on AMC Sunday, 11/7:

• 10pm airing – 3.1 HH rating with over 4.7 million viewers;
  • Adults 18-49 – 3.3 million viewers;
  • Adults 25-54 – 2.8 million viewers;
  • Men 18-49 – 2.1 million viewers.

Ratings Highlights for the The Walking DeadEpisode 1, which premiered on AMC Sunday, 10/31:

• 10pm airing – 3.7 HH rating with over 5.3 million total viewers;
  • Adults 18-49 – 3.6 million viewers;
  • Adults 25-54 – 3.1 million viewers;
  • Men 18-49 - 2.0 million viewers.

“I wish all programming decisions were no brainers like this one,” said Sharon Tal Yguado, SVP Scripted Programming for Fox International Channels . “‘The Walking Dead’ is a TV masterpiece on so many levels. We want at least 10 seasons, if not more. Kudos to AMC!”

AMC’s “The Walking Dead” is based on the comic book series written by Robert Kirkman and published by Image Comics. Kirkman serves as an executive producer on the project and three-time Academy Award-nominee Frank Darabont ( The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile) serves as writer, director and executive producer. Gale Anne Hurd (The Terminator, Aliens, Armageddon, The Incredible Hulk), chairman of Valhalla Motion Pictures, serves as Executive Producer. David Alpert from Circle of Confusion and Charles “Chic” Eglee (Dexter, The Shield, Dark Angel) serve as Executive Producers.

“The Walking Dead” tells the story of the months and years that follow after a zombie apocalypse. It follows a group of survivors, led by police officer Rick Grimes, who travel in search of a safe and secure home. The comic goes on to explore the challenges of life in a world overrun by zombies who take a toll on the survivors, and sometimes the interpersonal conflicts present a greater danger to their continuing survival than the zombies that roam the country. Over time, the characters are changed by the constant exposure to death and some grow willing to do anything to survive.

Shot on location in Atlanta, “The Walking Dead” is led by a cast that includes Lincoln (“Teachers,” Love Actually) as Rick Grimes, Jon Bernthal (“The Pacific,” The Ghost Writer) as Shane Walsh, Sarah Wayne Callies (“Prison Break”) as Lori Grimes, Laurie Holden (“The Shield,” Stephen King’s The Mist) as Andrea, Jeffrey DeMunn(Stephen King’s The Mist, The Green Mile) as Dale, Steven Yeun (“The Big Bang Theory”) as Glen, Emma Bell(The Bedford Diaries) as Amy and Chandler Riggs (Get Low) as Carl Grimes.

Edited by memphismason
  • Administrator
I don't know the odds, though from my experience when I drop a tiny screw off my workbench it seems very likely to somehow bounce&roll over to the other side of the room and hide under something heavy and difficult to move. :D If I don't have a replacement, the odds seem to favor the screw being lost entirely.

Typically it's where the spiders are all hiding too.

Like, they really need hero's wife shtupping the other guy to embellish the plot?

Yawn.

- OS

My thought was that those two didn't just start fooling around in a tent encampment in the middle of a zombie apocalypse a week or two after they think her husband - his partner and (supposedly) friend - bought it. Instead, I took it that they were going at it before the z's hit and possibly even before he was shot. To me, as you say, the former would be superfluous. The latter, however, would give the characters and their situations more depth as well as bearing out the fact that living humans, in their own way, can be bigger bastards than the zombies. At least the zombies are just acting on instinct, not knowingly and willingly betraying someone they supposedly care about.

I agree. There were too many acts of stupidity committed in the show last night that distracted me and kept me from disengaging my brain and just enjoying it.

I measure how much I am 'engaged' by how much I wish the episode were longer when it comes time for it to end. Despite some less than perfect elements, I have felt that way at the ending of both of the first two episodes. Very, very few television shows leave me feeling that way - so, overall, the show is (so far) a big win, for me.

That said, when Rick and the blond chick were keeping an eye out in the department store, even my wife was saying, "They should be hiding behind cover and keeping an eye out rather than just standing there like they are teasing the zombies like, "Nah nah na nah nah! You can't get us! If they'd hide, maybe some of the zombies would forget they are there and go away."

Of course, some of the acts of stupidity simply fit in with my view of reality - that people, in general, are stupid. Also, I have to keep in mind that these characters probably haven't spent a lot of time discussing the best course of action to take in case of a zombie outbreak - or thinking about survival in a SHTF situation, in general. They are flying by the seat of their pants.

One thing I liked were the rats in the sewer access tunnel. I told my wife, "That is a good sign. There are no animals anywhere on the streets so the fact that there are rats there probably means there are no zombies." Sure enough, when they came to the barrier and saw a zombie on the other side, it was munching on a rat. That is a pretty good detail that I don't think the characters even picked up on, yet.

Edited by JAB
"Avoid big citys!!!"

The zombie outbreak is an epidemic. Epidemics are problems in more or less settled, more populated societies. So-called 'primitive' peoples living in small, isolated villages don't have epidemics. Why? Because the disease kills off the few individuals who live in that village and then can't spread any further.

I understand that Rick was headed to Atlanta in hopes of finding his family. That said, I told my wife during the first episode that a big city is the last place I'd want to go during any kind of disease outbreak because, eventually, an infected individual will get in. Once that happens, the disease will spread like wildfire.

My wife's response was, "Ah, you wouldn't go there, anyway. You don't trust the military enough to voluntarily go to a place where they are completely in charge."

She knows me too well.

Yeah but in a small town you could atleast neutralize the threat quicker no?

I have to agree with that mentality. At least to a degree. While it might be harder in a small town to survive for a LOOOOONG time, if there are only a few of you, you might make it better than living in the woods in Atlanta. Honestly I'd say the guy and his son from the first episode are in the best position for long term survival. They've got a whole town full of stores and houses to scavenge and being that there is probably at least a wal-mart and a gun store in that town a good 10/22 and a scope would probably make for several days of zombie plinking bonding time with the boy and put a sizable dent in the z population.

I have to agree with that mentality. At least to a degree. While it might be harder in a small town to survive for a LOOOOONG time, if there are only a few of you, you might make it better than living in the woods in Atlanta. Honestly I'd say the guy and his son from the first episode are in the best position for long term survival. They've got a whole town full of stores and houses to scavenge and being that there is probably at least a wal-mart and a gun store in that town a good 10/22 and a scope would probably make for several days of zombie plinking bonding time with the boy and put a sizable dent in the z population.

i am sure that any gun shop / walmart hunting section is cleaned out by now.

Not necessarily. In a natural disaster, sure, but in a fast spreading zombie epidemic? I'd be willing to bet there were a few things left over somewhere.

I'd have to agree. I mean there was still a lot of stuff at the police station. If there had been a lot of time for unimpeded looting, you bet I would go there first. They have all of the good stuff. :(

Guest Lester Weevils

If a survivor happened upon the domicile of a typical TGO member who wasn't quite quick enough to survive the initial outbreak, he would find enough guns & ammo to start WWIII. :(