New hunter needs a mentor or experienced hunting companion

Guest Jo7hs2

Hey all,

A month ago I posted a message seeking advice on getting into hunting. On the advice of several people, I elected to buy a .22lr in a bolt-action to work on my aim and get accustomed to firearms. I've spent a few mornings at the range and I also just completed the safety course. Now, I'm ready to look for a mentor or an experienced hunting companion who can show me the ropes.

I don't plan on participating in deer season this year, for a variety of reasons. I'm hoping instead to do some small game hunting before those seasons end, then gradually step up from their as seasons permit. I'm asking a little early to have a chance to meet in person in advance, but I'd like to avoid interfering with your deer season, so I think we are talking mid-January and February here. I'll be working on my aim until then.

Here's who I'm looking for:

- Somebody experienced hunting multiple game species ranging from small game to big game, waterfowl and turkey, etc...

- Somebody who takes safety, rules, and regulations very seriously.

- Somebody mature.

- Somebody interested in being out in the woods for more than hunting. As I'll note below, I'm an off-trail hiker who'd love to reciprocate for your assistance by showing you something cool.

Here's where I stand:

- I own an appropriate rimfire rifle. I'll be getting a shotgun and centerfire rifle in the coming weeks or months, when I feel ready.

- I'm so-so with iron sights right now. I used to be pretty good with a pellet gun, so I'm hoping I'll get back into it quickly. I'll graduate to a scope when I think my aim is back.

- I am an experienced off-trail hiker, I can navigate, and own a mapping GPS with topographic maps. I've successfully navigated myself and groups in wildnerness areas, including the Sipsey Wilderness in Bankhead National Forest.

- I am somewhat familiar with animal habitation patterns, because of my other big hobby, nature photography. I'm pretty good at identifying plant's habitats out of season, and I imagine that should have some transferable skills.

- I'm too big for most treestands, but I get around in the woods fine.

- I can disassemble a chicken or other food animal in the kitchen, but I've never done it on anything more recently alive than a fish.

I'm looking for somebody who will go through the whole process with me, from finding suitable habitat, to hunting and shooting technique, to field dressing and beyond. I'm interested in pretty much anything edible, but I guess I'm most interested in squirrel, rabbit, turkey, hog, and deer. I'm a quick study and Idon't mind being told I'm doing something wrong, loudly.

If you think you can help me, please PM me or post here, at your discretion. General suggestions are welcome, too.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you are welcome to come squirrel hunting with me after deer season. Hendersonville isn't too far from Clarksville. Cheatham WMA would be a good meeting area. I am sure there are others.

I don't pretend to be an expert at anything, but I have been hunting one thing or another for 25 years. I learned from good hunters and lots of mistakes. I am teaching my daughter what I know and would be happy to share that with you and others.

Squirrel hunting is a great way to start. You have the right gun and you are practicing. I would recommend going to a scope before hunting. Yes, you can hunt with iron sights and it's a great skill, but for a new hunter I hate to see unnecessary challenges added as part of the learning process. A scope helps in low light, it helps find hiding squirrels and it helps make well placed shots.

If that goes well, maybe we can convince WD-40 to take us rabbit hunting. :) I have a good spot or two that would be worth the drive to hunt behind some beagles.

Whiskey,

I'd love to join you for some squirrel hunting in Cheatham after deer season is over. I've been dying to get in there on foot anyway, that much open land is really attractive for an off- trail guy like me. Squirrel also seems like a good place to start, since they aren't all that hard to find, and are nice and small, so I don't need to worry about dealing with a huge amount of guts on my first hunt. I'll add a scope after another weekend or two at the range on the iron sights, since I know I'm probably limited to a few inch target beyond 25 yards on the irons. Just can see the target well enough.

WD-40,

I'm sorry you and your dog had to experience that. My dog has been my companion on many a bushwhack, but I've always feared exactly what I assume happened to your dog happening to him during deer season. Unfortunately he is colored like a deer, and his outline is deer like, so he stays in during deer season. I hope your dog pulled through.

Edited by Jo7hs2
Spelling

He survived, but very expensive. The shot went to the side of his spine and out his chest. Almost a straight down shot. He stayed at the vet for a couple of days with drain tubes in his lungs. Sad part is, no one was supposed to be in the area hunting. Never did catch the fool. I caught the guy that shot at the other ones. Again, no one was supposed to be hunting that area. What happen next is a long story!

Whiskey,

I'd love to join you for some squirrel hunting in Cheatham after deer season is over. I've been dying to get in there on foot anyway, that much open land is really attractive for an off- trail guy like me. Squirrel also seems like a good place to start, since they aren't all that hard to find, and are nice and small, so I don't need to worry about dealing with a huge amount of guts on my first hunt. I'll add a scope after another weekend or two at the range on the iron sights, since I know I'm probably limited to a few inch target beyond 25 yards on the irons. Just can see the target well enough.

Sounds good. PM me about the middle of Jan. and we will get things lined up. The last deer hunt is the youth hunt on Jan 15 and 16. We should be pretty safe after that.

Okay, I think I'm interpreting the agency website correctly, but... Hunting and fishing licenses in Tennessee are good for February to February, not for a year from when actually purchased, right? As in, if I but one today, it is only good until February?

Was going to get the annual sportsman, but I'll just get what I actually need for now if that is the case, since I'd just be buying another license in February. I'm not used to a combined fishing/hunting license, and where I come from fishing season wasn't year-round, so I'm not used to planning out when to buy licenses...

Then I guess just a standard license and WMA small game only permit should suffice for the rest of this season. Worry about next season in February. Thanks!

That should be all you need this year. I always buy a sportsman's license in early March before Turkey season starts. That way I am good to hunt or fish anything I want, mostly.

I will warn you now that this stuff is highly addictive. I started out squirrel hunting with jeans a t-shirt and a single shot .410 shotgun. Now it seems that I have an incurable addiction to all things hunting related. Turkey hunting has been the worst. I am completely willing to spend next months mortgage payment on a new turkey gun, calls, vest, decoys... it never ends. :lol:

Yeah, I'm already worried about that. However, I already have two other expensive hobbies, so I've learned some tricks to avoid digging a hole for myself. ;)

Your post raises a few questions about spring turkey season... First, are ALL the WMAs with turkey populations on a quota (of hunters) system? If so, what do you need to apply? The guide shows many decent sized locations without one, but doesn't specify if there are actually any birds there. I'll probably be interested in turkey by then, and I'm very willing to drive across the state if need be. Obviously I'll be looking for help then, too.

Also, do any of the public ranges in Middle TN allow shotgun patterning? I haven't noticed anything saying one way or the other at Stones River, but I think I saw a 12-gauge a few weeks ago...

Edited by Jo7hs2

Most of the WMA's in this area have a pretty good population of turkeys. The flock maintains at least three extra birds (the three I don't kill) annualy. They also offer "non-quota" hunts as well as quota hunts. Check the guide for the specific WMA regulation. Some WMA regs are different than the rest of the state, so it is always worth a little extra reading.

Whiskey told you right. You always start out with little of nothing, then by the time it's all said and done, you could open a store! Hunting is also much simpler than golfing!

My interpretation of the guide is that if there is a "hunt" with dates listed, but no hunter quota number, that means there is no quota application required for that WMA. Is that a correct interpretation? I mean, I see ones which clearly indicate a quota of saw, 150 hunters, for some deer and turkey seasons, but of no quota is listed, that means there isn't one?

Also, how does hog work? I know there is no specific season and is open year round, but a bunch of the WMA's mention it only in the context of other big game hunts... I assume that means those WMA's are only available for hog during an otherwise open big game season, as indicated?

Thanks for all the help! Me and the guide aren't getting along well.

Hogs are open on other scheduled hunts on WMA, for the most part. Now that can mean a lot of different things.

If you are able to purchase a sportsman license in March, then it is a great deal. You get to apply for quota hunts for free. I don't usually bother with spring Turkey quota hunts. I have lots of places to hunt turkeys and there are plenty of non-quota opportunities.

I would recommend getting a paper copy of the hunting regulations and reading it cover to cover. The website is fine, but I always just get a paper copy and keep it in the crapper so I can stay current on regs. The WMA's change so much that you can't trust what you knew from the year before.

Well, I'm good to go on the license front. Went ahead and just got the combo and small game WMA for now. Will probably get an annual for next year. Also have a scope coming for the .22, although it didn't make it here before my visit to the range today. Current iron sights are off by about four inches to the left and two inches down, and they are of the leaf variety, which always stumped me on air rifles too in terms of adjustment... The good news is that both me and the gun are consistent over the past few weekends within an inch or two circle, if perhaps not always the correct circle. ;)

Move the sight in the direction you want the bullet to go. Up if you are shooting low, right if you are shooting left. Leaf sights usually don't have windage adjustment (left to right) but move it up a click on the ramp and that will take care of the shooting low.

The problem is that I can't seem to get the thing to move, I mean, I see the elevation clickstops, but it is almost like it is welded in place. Is there a trick?

The problem is that I can't seem to get the thing to move, I mean, I see the elevation clickstops, but it is almost like it is welded in place. Is there a trick?

Increase your force. Use your thumb to push up in the buckhorn sight while you slide the ramp. Also these sights are usually dovetailed into the barrel and can be drifted left or right a little. Sometimes the front sights are dovetailed too and can be drifted. The trick is to have the right tools and not mess up your gun.

What model gun do you have? Perhaps I have owned the same or someone else is familiar with the same model. There aren't many popular .22 rifles that I haven't owned at some point.

It is a Marlin 925. I think what I was missing is that I needed to apply force both to the ramp and the sight?

I did manage to mount the scope today, without any clearance issues, so it isn't as big a deal, but it would be nice to know they are right if I need them.

Well I am certain that the Marlin's rear sight is dovetailed. So for future reference, if you ever want the iron to be sighted, you can probably get them there. Like you said, with the scope, no need to worry with it.

What scope did you put on top? That little marlin should be a good shooter. They have a good reputation.

Just a cheap Redhead fixed 4X. It was cheap enough that if I decide later I don't like it I can replace it comfortably. I didn't want to spend more on a scope for this gun, since I'm not sure it will always have a scope on it. I remember from using an air rifle that I never really liked a scope for plinking, just when I actually need it for accuracy. I got a fixed because they have better optical properties.