Acquiring a handgun permit

Guest drewi

I wanted to share some of my thoughts on taking the permit class, getting the permit, and what I thought carrying a gun would be like before I actually did it. I would also like to hear about your experience, whether you've had your permit since they started issuing them or your just got it in the mail last week.

It's been a long time since I decided to carry a gun on a daily basis. I remember all of the wive's tales and other rumors about why you should or shouldn't carry a gun, and what to do if I was involved in a shooting.

One thing I remember is being warned that if you have a temper you should not carry a gun. I did have a temper when I was younger but I wasn't the kid that got into trouble. I didn't pick any fights, and very rarely got into one. But I actually thought about this for a long time. What if I got mad at someone while I was carrying, and what would happen? After I started carrying I realized that if anything having a gun calmed me down a lot. Gone were the not so nice hand gestures in traffic and the "I'm the badest dude to walk the earth" strut. Now I know there are some people that probably don't need to be toting a gun, but I think the average person has nothing to worry about.

In the permit class I only paid close attention to the legal lecture (which may have done more harm than good at that time). I thought that I already knew how to live with and use firearms. I couldn't have been more incorrect. I've since learned that training is one of the best investments you can make in yourself. Yes, in the case of taking classes it can get expensive with tuition and ammunition requirements, but this cost is nothing compared to being faced with a lethal situation and not knowing what to do.

There are other ways to train. If you take 16 hour pistol course, then you will need to work for months at the range to build on what you learned in the actual class. This post class training is cheaper than the class itself. Once you get a little bit of knowledge on the subject you can read books to supplement what you've already learned. I've been doing a lot of self study lately. You can also try to come up with new techniques and tactics by yourself. Chances are it's already been done but it's good to think on your own.

On gun selection. I learned this: the best choice for a carry gun is the one that you will actually carry. I saw a segment on a TV show the other day with Walt Rausch. He referred to "leftit" guns. Left it in the car, left it at home, etc.

I mentioned earlier that the legal lecture given may have done more harm than good when I heard it. The reason I say this is the only thing I was thinking about after hearing that lecture were the legal ramifications of being involved in a shooting. What I should have been thinking about was surviving the fight that I may one day get into. I didn't really think of this until I attended James Yeager's pistol course and heard the mindset and legal lecture. He told a story about a man he came in contact with that wouldn't carry his gun anymore because "he had too much to lose". The guy didn't want to get sued for shooting someone in self defense. Obvisously the guy had his priorities wrong.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent thoughts.

I would add that new permit holders put way too much faith in the gun they are carrying. We need to practice the art of de-escalation. Alternate weapons and tactics need to be considered, OC, flashlights, hand to hand, edged weapons etc. The all mighty .45/.40/9mm is not the answer to every problem.

The sooner one realizes that a gun is a tool and not a solution the better. A gun should not be the only tool in the toolbox.

I used think that carrying made me safer somehow. Now I know better.

Preventing the confrontation is the best way to win. However, the mindset to be able to stay in the fight and prevail is also of the upmost importance.

The acme of a great soldier is not one that wins Every battle, but one who wins without drawing his sword.

I believe thats in line with the general thoughts of this thread.

I have carried in Florida, and Ga. and never had an occasion to even put my hand on my weapon..much less have to draw it.

Much of that comes from situational awareness.

Watch people the next time you go out somewhere. Often they're in thier own little worlds..not paying attention to the people around them unless they get near. Being naturally curious I like to look around alot! Being cautious, I don't go where it looks like there may be trouble. this has saved me LOTS of grief.

The old adage "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread" comes to mind whenever I see a possible sticky situation...and believe me, I avoid it unless its unavoidable. Even then, knowing that I'm armed allows me to be calmer than the antagonist. BG's that are looking for trouble in a serious way tend to shy off when they see this...I think perhaps because they know somethings up..and the guy in front of them has an ace up his sleeve somewhere. The ones that are just upset, usually tend to reflect my calm after a few minutes of simple dialog.

Also, another thing to think about ...90% of your communication is conveyed with body language..NOT your mouth.

If you LOOK like you want a fight, then you'll probably get one. If you stay calm but aware..people see this and realize that you're not "the one" they're looking for. The art of conveying a message is a great one to practice!

That being said, I'm looking into getting my CCL for Tn, and would greatly appreciate any and all information and tips you guys/gals can give me!

my sis in law has hers here, and she said it took about 8 months for her to get it due to paperwork constraints, class availability, etc.

I wanted to share some of my thoughts on taking the permit class, getting the permit, and what I thought carrying a gun would be like before I actually did it. I would also like to hear about your experience, whether you've had your permit since they started issuing them or your just got it in the mail last week.

Did my application on Jan 2, fingerprints on the 3rd

Now it's "The Wait" ;)

Did you get yours recently?....how long did it take to arrive?

I got mine almost eight years ago. It took about 90 days to get it in the mail. You'll quit worrying soon, then forget about it. Then one day it will come and you'll be suprised. That was my experience they may be faster now.

Most accounts I've seen lately have been around 45 days or so, I guess the

electronic prints speed things up a bit.

Maybe their efficiency is improving too...like that could happen with a govt. agency :lol:

Maybe their efficiency is improving too...like that could happen with a govt. agency :lol:

Efficiency? Government? :lol:

Right...

:lol:

• Administrator

Ahhh... electronic fingerprinting would definitely speed things up. They were still doing the inkpad and paper thing when I transferred my KY permit to TN back in 1998.

I also got the news today from the TN Dept. of Safety that my permit has been issued and should be here in 7-14 days! Yepe

Awesome!!! :D

Mine should be here any day now

Hopefully the mailman won't screw up and put it in the wrong box, he does that from time to time:doh:

Guest RN MEDIC

Sir, you have already started correctly in that you've taken a class from James Yeager. There is a lot you learned there and a lot I could tell you, but I'll just send you to those FAR superior to me rather than tell you a lot here. By that I mean, listen to /read every word you can find by James Yeager, Tom Givens, Gabe Suarez, and anybody they recommend. Maximize on mineset and classes rather than gear/trading guns all time or doing what a lot of people do which is collect a bunch of guns & gear but never have a class.

I've been an RN for 20 years and also 7 years as a paramedic. Now anybody could go buy a uniform, stethascope, etc. and still not know the first thing about what to do. Same with gunning.

OK I will say this. Never, I mean NEVER EVER grow lax in the first safety rules we teach; ie; muzzle discipline, keep finger off trigger till ready to shoot, etc. All firearms are fully loaded with safety off at all times.

One fellow above mentioned what I really stress which is avoidance and de-escelation. Also, stay away from all the danger you can even with your gun and permit. You don't have to hire a lawyer and languish over pending court action over a shooting you DON'T get into cause you stayed away from a dangerous area.

Hope I've been helpful, Respectfully, RNMEDIC

I took my cc class on Dec. 9-10, fingerprints were done on Dec. 16. I got my permit in the mail last Fri. Jan 26. That's 6 weeks, if I'm counting correctly.