Glock 27 or 23

bigwakes

I'm in the market for a Glock. I recently traded my G26 for a G34 intending to buy a 27 to move to .40 as my CCW gun. Now I'm considering a 23. My first Glock was a 23 and it was my primary carry gun. Help me think through the pros and cons. Will most likely make the purchase tomorrow.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did you like the G26? What were the pros and cons for you with that gun? Why did you trade it? If you were using a mag extension, or a larger mag with that gun, you know the G23 isn't that much larger in the grip. On the other hand, you can make the G27 grip longer, but you can't make the G23 shorter.:shrug:

FWIW, I've got a G19 right now and I'm trying to find someone with a G26 for a trade. I've shot both and the accuracy is comparable. The G26 is just easier to conceal for me personally. If I'm going to wear it owb, it's no big deal, but otherwise, the G26 just plain hides better for most folks. I think you'll like either one, the G27 just has more appeal to me. YMMV.

I have a 23. I've shot a 27. They shot the same for me. There is a little difference in size. Even with a MTAC IWB, the 23 feels hard to conceal for me. Im skinny 5:11, 160. When you lay the 27 and the 23 out on the table you think, "hmmph, there's not much difference", but I would think that little bit of difference is magnified once you actually try to conceal the weapon. That's my 1.5 cents.

im 6'2 255 i can almost wear a 500s&w lol..but i always carry my lcp glock is if im out messin around..just depends on his application 27 be better for ccw if u dont want the extra 1'' barrel. grip length will be same with a grip extention on 27 as grip on 23

• Administrator

If I had to choose one and only one, it would be the 23. The 27 is only more concealable if you plan on carrying it in your pocket. I have zero problems concealing my Glock 19 (same size as the 23) IWB and it is far more enjoyable to shoot than my 26 which I pocket-carry.

Do the 23. You won't regret it.

I agree that if I could only have one Glock it would be the 23. That's why it was my first Glock, fun at the range and good carry. Now I have a 22, 34, and 35. All good range guns, so this one just needs to fit the carry bill. I'm leaning towards the 27. The 26 was very accurate and I like the idea of carrying the smallest thing I can accurately and comfortably shoot. I have 2 concealment holsters that are 27/26 specific too, so save some dough. Thanks for all the input guys.

Not to derail this thread, but how do you Glock fans keep track of all these models and their corresponding model #'s? I've always wondered.

Is there some sort of trick to committing it to memory? Like the G19 shoots 9mm... that one is fairly easy to remember because it ends in "9" and it shoots "9"... Of course, I couldn't tell you what a G29 or G39 takes and they both end in "9" too, so that blows that theory.

Honestly, all Glocks look almost identical to me. I can tell a G17 when I see one because it's enormous. And conversly, I know a G28 when I see one because it's so small. Beyond that, it's like looking at the same gun.

Not to derail this thread, but how do you Glock fans keep track of all these models and their corresponding model #'s? I've always wondered.

Is there some sort of trick to committing it to memory? Like the G19 shoots 9mm... that one is fairly easy to remember because it ends in "9" and it shoots "9"... Of course, I couldn't tell you what a G29 or G39 takes and they both end in "9" too, so that blows that theory.

Honestly, all Glocks look almost identical to me. I can tell a G17 when I see one because it's enormous. And conversly, I know a G28 when I see one because it's so small. Beyond that, it's like looking at the same gun.

Taking interest and staring at the Glock model charts about 1,000 times. I like to know as much as I can about things that interest me.

For whatever my opinion is worth...I've shot both and own neither one, but I'd choose the 23. Not a glock hater, I have a 22 and a 30. My personal preference of the four is the 30. Great shooter, Very accurate, and feels good on an owb for me. JMHO

Taking interest and staring at the Glock model charts about 1,000 times. I like to know as much as I can about things that interest me.

I only know the 9mm and .40 model numbers since those are the calibers I'm interested in. I think people should learn the Glock model numbers when they learn the alphabet in school. It would make things easier when you grow up.:D

Guest hi im drummer03
I have a 23. I've shot a 27. They shot the same for me. There is a little difference in size. Even with a MTAC IWB, the 23 feels hard to conceal for me. Im skinny 5:11, 160. When you lay the 27 and the 23 out on the table you think, "hmmph, there's not much difference", but I would think that little bit of difference is magnified once you actually try to conceal the weapon. That's my 1.5 cents.

You hit that right on the head.