Rifle Season

Guest sneakboxer
Whiskey, That one is a 300 Savage. The scope and mounts are period Bausch and Lomb BalVar. I think it's a 1-3 power. No adjustments in the scope, they are in the mounts. It's still bright and clear. That is one accurate rifle.

Nice doe with your old rig. Those 99's sure are sexy and the vintage scope and mount make it even better. And to think that some people believe that you need a supper-dupper mag with a 6x24x50mm scope to kill a whitetail.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jeffster

Just got home from hunting Kodiak Island deer this week, wished I could be down there and chasing some more deer :) Good luck to all you and hope you hang up a nice one. Jeff

I came up empty handed this weekend. Best I did was spooking a deer up when I was coming out of the woods Friday evening.

I did get to take my nephew deer hunting for the first time yesterday. I had my pop up blind already set up but the wind didn't care and came from our backs all day. Oh well, I think he enjoyed getting to go. We did have a deer behind us bleating a lot but she never would come out where we could see. Here is a pic I snapped of him in the blind sitting next to me.

JacobHunting.jpg

Nice doe with your old rig. Those 99's sure are sexy and the vintage scope and mount make it even better. And to think that some people believe that you need a supper-dupper mag with a 6x24x50mm scope to kill a whitetail.

/agreed however where I hunt I use the .300 winmag to shoot across the ridgetops where it can be a 300-500 yard shot. I like using my model 94 .32 Winchester special with no scope for other areas. That reminds me I'm Thinking aboutselling my old model 70 chambered in .300 winmag, you know want it. Heh.

Edited by Krull
I see. I can't believe you don't even have a quota doe hunt! Macon county borders you, and we can shoot three does a day....no quota.

Yeah its really STRANGE this year. I know some areas have had some CWD die offs the last 2 or 3 years. Maybe thats it.

Oh, I really hate to admit it but I missed a good deer Monday evening about dark. I don't know if I just plain missed or if the scope is off because I've not shot it to check. He was a good one. Looked like a good 8 point or maybe better. It happens sometimes. Its the first Ive missed in several years.

I'm still seeing deer just nothing I want to shoot right now. Just small bucks, I'm still wondering were all the good bucks went that I seen while out coyote hunting. Maybe I need to just try a new tactic or something.

Go coyote hunting...

I know, no one likes a smarta$$.

Its gonna be mighty cold and windy in a few hours, but I just know tomorrow is the day.

For me to lose some toes to frostbite. :D

Gotta give the 30-30 one last chance to bark, I'm not sure I'll get the time to go in two weeks. Good luck to everybody headed out in a bit.

I didn't get to go all day yesterday or this morning, because my daughter got a bad stomach virus. I've been sitting with her. Maybe this evening I'll get to go. She seems to be on the mend. The deer around here seem to be dwindling down as far as the rut goes. They seem to be looking for food more. I missed a good buck about a week ago because my rifle was shooting about 10 inches high at 100 yards. Maybe I'll see him again. Good luck to everybody that went this morning.

Guest billwilly73

Thank God for shooting houses, blankets, and propane heaters. Cold this morning. Didn't see anything except a beautiful sunrise and some birds. Gonna try to go back this evening and hope to see some deer this time.