Rifle Season

I load Hornady 150 grain, soft points. I really like the performance I get from them. I took 9 deer last year with them, and this one so far this year. I don't get large exit wounds or "blownup" shoulders with them, but they turn their lungs to mush when hit. I haven't had a deer go no more than about 30 yards when hit with that setup.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Women get more men shot than anything else. The rut is in....watch the gals, and he'll make a mistake, then he'll be yours! I feel kind of sad, because me and "big daddy" has been "playing chess" against each other since September. Gonna miss seeing the old boy in the woods! I'll just have to cuss at him while he's on the wall instead of being in the woods!

Women get more men shot than anything else. The rut is in....watch the gals, and he'll make a mistake, then he'll be yours! I feel kind of sad, because me and "big daddy" has been "playing chess" against each other since September. Gonna miss seeing the old boy in the woods! I'll just have to cuss at him while he's on the wall instead of being in the woods!

I felt the same thing years ago when I hunted a very big 8 pointer for 2 years. He stayed an 8 pointer but got a little bigger when I finally shot him.

Cool buck WD! Boy, he's a biggun!

I'm out the door again this afternoon to hang a couple more stands near the lake. A buddy & I scouted a small spit of woodland last weekend & bumped 26 deer outta there! We found a couple of huge scrapes & a rubline of 18 trees. We're maybe being a little coy, but we're gonna hang the stands today & the leave them for a week before we go back to hunt them. Hopefully they'll still be there.

I've also got to go look at 115 acres that I may just have won permission on......wish me luck!

This morning, I no more than got situated in my stand, when a nice buck shows up right beneath me from outta nowhere. I raise my rifle when it hits me....I didn't put a shell in the chamber yet!. I load the gun, and the deer runs back through the woods, and stops in a clear spot. I put the rifle on him and shoot. He runs off. I went to see if I hit him, and didn't find any sign of it. On my way back to the stand, about head high, I see a large bright spot on a dogwood tree. Upon closer inspection, i find a bullet hole, directly through the center of it. I think this is the same deer I missed last Saturday. He must have nine lives.

I saw the buck that I saw during ML season this morning. He's awesome for where I hunt. Looks to be a 8 or 9 point with some tall points and good mass. He looks to have a spread a little wider than his ears. He was with a doe and she kept him back in the thick stuff and he never came out for a clean shot. When I saw him last time, he stayed in the thick. I should of grunted at him. Maybe I'll get him someday.

Edited by roverboy

The last buck I grunted at ran away so fast I though he was going to break a leg. I am grunt-shy now. I wish I could find a doe call that I really liked. I have a few, but they just don't sound right to me. I need to do a little tuning on them.

Whiskey, That one is a 300 Savage. The scope and mounts are period Bausch and Lomb BalVar. I think it's a 1-3 power. No adjustments in the scope, they are in the mounts. It's still bright and clear. That is one accurate rifle.

Edited by gregintenn
The last buck I grunted at ran away so fast I though he was going to break a leg. I am grunt-shy now. I wish I could find a doe call that I really liked. I have a few, but they just don't sound right to me. I need to do a little tuning on them.

Yeah some bucks are spooked by grunt calls. Its strange you never see that happen on the huntin' shows. You mentioned the doe calls. Some people sware by the Primos Can. I've not tried one. I've got a old Lohman C'mere Deer. Its a doe call.